Author Topic: Wind noise  (Read 2223 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Wind noise
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
I have noticed today that any speed over about 55 creates wind noise, has anyone else noticed this, only had jazz a few months. Many thanks. 

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Wind noise
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
Make sure that the windows are fully shut, it's very easy to crack the windows open if you rest your arm on the drivers door armrest where the window controls are, if you have them. There doesn't actually have to be a visible gap showing at the top of the window.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »
I have a Mk1 and as I have said elsewhere on this forum, at speed the greatest noise in wind noise. Followed by tyre noise and then engine noise.
I regularly check my window are up, as my wife is always opening hers a bit. The window in the back of my "cooncil" model are windy up ones, and sometimes they relax a bit, which doesn't help wind noise. As Vic says, they don't have to be actually "open", just not full closed.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »
Make sure that the windows are fully shut, it's very easy to crack the windows open if you rest your arm on the drivers door armrest where the window controls are, if you have them. There doesn't actually have to be a visible gap showing at the top of the window.

Vic.
I think that the windows were shut but will check it, have noticed it several times..?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »

Vic.
I think that the windows were shut but will check it, have noticed it several times..?

If it is not there all the time it is something on the car moving or if it is windy the wind direction can cause noise.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
I have noticed today that any speed over about 55 creates wind noise, has anyone else noticed this, only had jazz a few months. Many thanks.
I agree with this, the car is noisy at speed, it’s been reported elsewhere. I think it’s a combination of wind noise and tyre noise, and it’s nothing to do with windows being open or not. It’s a small car, Honda have reduced the weight as much as possible which means cutting down on the mass that might attenuate noise transmission into the cabin. That’s nothing unusual, other cars of similar size have the same problem. If you want a quieter car you need a bigger one with more mass and more space for sound insulation. I did read somewhere that the 2018 models have improved noise insulation so maybe Honda responded to feedback.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
My 18 model Jazz is much quieter than my 16 one was. You can see more insulation around the gap between the front wings and bodyshell in the door shuts. Also on the bulkhead under the dashboard, the rear of the car seems much that same for insulation. I have a boot floor sized quality household carpet sample and two similar square samples (10p each!) in the rear foot wells on top of the fitted mats, these may dampen noise a bit but they are there for protection more than anything else.

Tags: