Author Topic: VW emissions scandel / French fall out of love with diesels  (Read 24931 times)

guest5079

Re: VW emissions scandel / French fall out of love with diesels
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
A few years back now, if a remand prisoner had to go to our local Magistrates Court, they had to be attached to a police officer. One day, I drew a short straw. Because there was no secure accommodation, I had to remain attached while he spoke with his brief. He was told to plead guilty. He replied, but you have been telling me to plead not guilty. Solicitor said, yes I know but we've given the legal aid a run so just plead guilty. Short while later said Solicitor said to my Inspector, I am fed up with keep getting fixed penalty tickets. My Inspectors reply was park your car in the car park like ordinary people have to do. The reply, I am not bothered I just stick it on my legal aid bill. When I mentioned about the conversation re legal aid I was told to keep my mouth shut or I would be done for breaching confidentiality. Five of my colleagues and I in a knife attack case were all called liars in court. When challenged afterwards, the Solicitor merely said, I've got to make it look as if I am trying. Many deserving people are now denied Legal Aid because of the huge amount of money that was fiddled. Lawyers never give you anything but an opinion with the let out if it's wrong. Cynical? Me? Lawyers make laws that they can argue about for years. What's my point? the VW case should be a slam dunk guilty case BUT will it? NO you watch the big names in the Barrister field when the British case gets anywhere near a court room.
Before Lawyers start crying foul, all I am doing is quoting my experience I do not in any way suggest all lawyers are anything but honest. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
Plenty of laws,  but justice is scarce - many times people get the result they can afford.  Many times there will be a cover up if high level people are involved (like members of the EU commission) - how did I get so cynical.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »
We can be pretty sure the EC know whether most EC car makers cheated. Given the influence the industry has on the EC, no action can be expected.
That is irrespective of whether thousand have died as a result of extra air pollution. Given the pollution levels in London and other major cities ,we can safely assume those extra deaths have occurred.

Personally I expect most makers to have cheated... (note the careful choice of wording!) .. as the costs of not doing so when VW were obviously doing it (competitor car analysis would have shown this) as their performance levels claimed were superior to the opposition.

To expect the EC to do anything given the nonsense of mpg figures  is like expecting a drunk to run an anti drinking campaign.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2017-05/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-13-05-2017-part-2/

View on Diesel and hybrid / electric cars, and other random stuff - good reading.............

Like the bit lower down article about VW Golf Mk7 applying brakes for no reason (faulty auto braking).

Also new Vauxhall infotainment system as endured by at least one owner seems much worse than Honda.

Someone has also twigged that plug-in hybrids make unfounded claims for mpg and range - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/78824/i-was-misled-about-the-mpg-and-battery-range-on-my-bmw-hybrid---how-should-i-proceed-

I used to work with a guy who had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - his experience was very similar to above,  but he only managed low 30's mpg once battery had expired after a few miles.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:08:50 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
Note that the goverrnment's air quality consultation https://consult.defra.gov.uk/airquality/air-quality-plan-for-tackling-nitrogen-dioxide/ closes on 15th June.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
There's an interesting BBC report which has unearthed that government knew about the diesel emission problems at the same time as encouraging people to buy diesel vehicles at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
There's an interesting BBC report which has unearthed that government knew about the diesel emission problems at the same time as encouraging people to buy diesel vehicles at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715.

Could also have been due to pressure from EU due to the main producers of Diesel cars being German and French, and it would have damaged their industry.   The dangers of asbestos were also known as early as 1920's but without anything to replace it the downsides were hushed up and many people died as a result.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »
See this report http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44155590 about the UK government being taken to the European Court of Justice over air quality failings. Perhaps it's time for the affected European governments to sue the manufacturers of diesel vehicles which don't achieved the claimed emisssions. That could raise the cash needed to pay any fine imposed by the ECJ.

Tags:

anything