Author Topic: Screen wash reservoir level  (Read 3547 times)

guest7027

Screen wash reservoir level
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
Despite putting -15 screen wash in my bottle during the recent freeze it has still frozen solid.

It's taken the best part of 2 days to thaw out but now I seem to be having an issue with the the fluid level... I topped it up to the brim and then the next day the level had dropped by about 3 inches. I left it and by the end of the day it had dropped a further 2 inches. I topped up again to the brim and by lunch it had dropped again by around 2 inches.

I can't see any obvious signs of leaks (difficult to inspect the bottle itself though as it's well hidden!) and I haven't been using the screen wash. I'm concerned the bottle may of split but what I find really odd is my partners Jazz (identical to mine) is also doing the same thing.

Seems we would be really unlucky that both Jazz's would of suffered split bottles but maybe they have?

I must admit I haven't really paid much attention to the levels in the past only recently since the freeze have I been checking so not sure if filling to the brim may cause some kind of overflow elsewhere and released off excess fluid?

Just seems really odd. It's been difficult to check for pools of water under car as outside is wet and both cars are parked outdoors.

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
Re: Screen wash reservoir level
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
Despite putting -15 screen wash in my bottle during the recent freeze it has still frozen solid.

It's taken the best part of 2 days to thaw out but now I seem to be having an issue with the the fluid level... I topped it up to the brim and then the next day the level had dropped by about 3 inches. I left it and by the end of the day it had dropped a further 2 inches. I topped up again to the brim and by lunch it had dropped again by around 2 inches.

I can't see any obvious signs of leaks (difficult to inspect the bottle itself though as it's well hidden!) and I haven't been using the screen wash. I'm concerned the bottle may of split but what I find really odd is my partners Jazz (identical to mine) is also doing the same thing.

Seems we would be really unlucky that both Jazz's would of suffered split bottles but maybe they have?

I must admit I haven't really paid much attention to the levels in the past only recently since the freeze have I been checking so not sure if filling to the brim may cause some kind of overflow elsewhere and released off excess fluid?

Just seems really odd. It's been difficult to check for pools of water under car as outside is wet and both cars are parked outdoors.
Maybe there's still a chunk of ice that's still gradually thawing?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »

if it keeps dropping to same level it has probably split the bottle when it froze.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
I was thinking maybe block of ice still thawing out.

It doesn't drop to the same level, this varies on both of the car. I just keep topping it up and then it drops. I've only been measuring last 2 days so difficult to tell.

I have googles replacement bottles should this be the case but can't seem to find any?

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
I also didn't know if there was a settling level too, like I say not paid much attention to this prior to the freeze.

I often fill to brim of the filing neck but didn't know if it then took say a few minutes to settle down and filter to bottom of bottle? hence next time I come to check the level is lower than when I filled it?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
Water only splits a container if it has nowhere to go when it freezes. Remember milk bottles when you were a kid, and how the tops would pop off if the milk froze? Same would happen if your screen wash froze. As the ice melts it takes up less room (about 9% less) so the level keeps dropping as it melts. Difference between the two cars - how quick it melts and how much screen wash you and your partner are using as it is melting.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
Check if the pump is leaking. Put a small tray under the bottle and see. Happened to my Seat Ibiza recently and an blue ice formed under the car as the fluid froze! Cost £60 plus labour £20 to fixed!

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »
A photo of the leak.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
Check if the pump is leaking. Put a small tray under the bottle and see. Happened to my Seat Ibiza recently and an blue ice formed under the car as the fluid froze! Cost £60 plus labour £20 to fixed!

The pump is more likely to split than the reservoir because the fluid is trapped in there,.  As to why it froze,  how much fluid did you add and what was in the reservoir before (did it get diluted by water already in there).   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
Hi all, for info now the weather has warmed up I believe all ice has melted in bottle and levels have been stable/consistent ever since my last post so don't think there are any leaks from the bottle or pump so all good!

I have since drained bottle and added a different brand and even better grade screen wash to hopefully prevent this from happening again if we have another sub zero freeze!

Same with my partners Jazz too.

Thanks for your help.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
Good oh.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
That's good. May be put a tray under the screen wash bottle over night to see if there are any drops. My leak was so slight there was no way I would have noticed it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
My long-standing habit is to top up the washer with concentrated fluid during the autumn and winter and then use diluted fluid during the spring and summer. It's somewhat inconvenient (and potentially dangerous) to discover that the spray won't work because the fluid in the pipes is frozen. I hadn't considered the risk of damage caused by frozen fluid.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
Too much messing around with diluting for different seasons, I just have a mix that's good for about -15 all year round. Simples

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »
The big problem is windchill. At -5°C the effective air temperature passing round the screen jet nozzles at 60 mph (and to a certain extent, the reservoir) is -18°C. This is why radiators are prone to freeze if you do not have the right antifreeze mix. I just use neat concentrate, summer and winter now, good down to -45°C. Coldest I have driven at, in the UK, was -25°C, and even that froze in the jets!
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/windchillbody_txt.html

Tags: