Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201309 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #330 on: February 24, 2019, 09:04:06 AM »
Yes my foot is entirely off the pedal. I might have a go lubricating the linkages in case it's not fully releasing. Though tickover is around 600 rpm which suggests that's not the problem.

And yes I had noticed how backing off on the pedal improves the fuel consumption. I'm currently learning all the tricks to improve mpg. I may see a benefit when I top up. Unfortunately I seem to be making a lot of short trips which undoes my good work  :(
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
I was thinking about my "poor" numbers and I realised that I am doing silly short journeys that a year ago I would have left car and walked. My joints are giving me gyp just now. This morning I drove the 600 yards to Lidl's, for croissants, then drove home again (car out of garage and then back in again). No wonder my mpg is suffering.

TheFlyingPostman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ 1.4 i-DSI CVT 2007
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »
Other day I though it will be a fun to test of fuel economy rather than the speeding. I start from my local petrol station fill it up top 41 litres (43 litre tankful) and drove it steady in 'D' mode for 153 miles to Bristol on the M4 at 60mph the rev is variety from 1,700 to 2,400rpm it depend for going up and down the hill. When I have arrived at Bristol pumps calculator is 53.6 mpg. My trip computer said 55 mpg.

After finished to exploring Bristol without used the car, I went back to home on the same motorway lucky there was no traffic at Heathrow M25 at night while used the 7 speed mode at 60mph about 2,500rpm-ish.

The result on 7 speed mode was impressive than in the D mode of 57.5 mpg! Otherwise I thought the 'D' Mode was in a better fuel consumption. Next time I will used the 7 speed mode is fun on the motorways. I am not sure but I think the 7 speed mode would be in a terrible mpg on the countryside road than the 'D' mode.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08:32 AM »
Another disappointing fuel figure. 51.2 mpg. The onboard display was wildly off this time showing 57 mpg. It is never usually as far out as that.

Actual: 51.2       Dashboard: 57.0    ScanGauge E: 53.0

On Saturday, after a good long run, my wife suggested we stop for an ice cream before reaching home. We went to Divito’s ice cream parlour in Crossgates (the best ice cream for miles). After a brief stop for our cones we continued on home. Now turning the ignition off for about 3 minutes resets the current journey and displayed average mpg as shown on the ScanGauge E, so from Crossgates to home it calculates the mpg for that trip. For the 11 miles home, via Cowdenbeath and Auchtertool, the ScanGauge showed an average of 74 mpg. There is a 400 foot drop along the length of the journey with a fair portion through 30 mph limit. It just shows how good the mpg can be in town when you can drive for a fair distance at 30 mph without lights, junctions or traffic hold ups. There is a section of 20 mph but luckily it is, if anything, predominantly downhill. There is also a fair section with short sharp uphill sections, then long gradual downhill stretches where you can get off the gas and enjoy the benefits of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »
After just about 6 months and 3000 miles my 'grand' average from my first top up to yesterdays is (drum roll?) 41.6 mpg

My best tankful was 49.8 and worst 34.4!

A bit disappointing but it's all those short journeys.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
It is not so much the short journeys more the nature of the journeys. My daily driving starts with 4.1 miles at 06:15 (in town but almost no traffic) and ScanGauge usually shows about 50 mpg. I then do the same journey at 11:00, with fairly busy roads, and ScanGauge can show as little at 44 mpg. Occasionally, in between these two trips I will pop to the shops (which can be anything of a round trip of 0.6 miles to 2 miles), again in traffic. I do that Monday to Friday, week in and week out. On a Saturday I do another round trip of usually 77 miles (on mainly country roads and dual carriageway). I seldom drive in heavy traffic. Traffic lights are few. All of my driving is on roads I drive regularly and know how to get the best out of the car. So as I said, not so much the length of the journeys.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
Fair point. My trips often start with one mile crawling through Saltaire's awful traffic or that mile long hill I mentioned. Hills every where as a matter of fact  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
Fair point. My trips often start with one mile crawling through Saltaire's awful traffic or that mile long hill I mentioned. Hills every where as a matter of fact  :)

Much the same in Shropshire,  and you seem to use more fuel going up than you save going back down, I know there are benefits to leaving car in gear and letting throttle close entirely but if there is not much traffic and there is a downhill followed by a long flat or an uphill I will coast down and find i can get much farther along the flat or up the next hill  without  touching the throttle by coasting without the car engine absorbing the free gravity energy that the car is able to build up.  Obviously its a judgment call because if there is other traffic around or you have to stop for a junction at the bottom of the hill it is better to use engine braking.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »
Yes, interesting (to me). I've noticed with my instantaneous mpg display that although a steady speed give a figure in the 50s or 60s the slightest acceleration and it drops to below 30. Get nippy and it's in the teens. Climbing a hill is exactly the same as accelerating and petrol engines don't like it. I think that accounts for why you don't get back going downhill the extra you put in going up.
Plus, of course, you lose energy to air and rolling resistance all ways round. It's the clause in Sod's law known as the second law of thermodynamics.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
That is the benefit I have with driving the same route, over and over. I know where it is beneficial to coast, when to select a slightly lower gear or when just to lift off in 5th. It is definitely a judgement call. On my daily journeys I even coast up hills to junctions and the like, knowing exactly when to start coasting so I arrive at the junction at the correct speed. I think of it as long gear changes. I slip it out of 5th before the junction, and select 3rd as I reach the junction. Not so much freewheeling as a l-o-n-gs-l-o-w gear change.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2019, 07:03:59 PM »
Today started with torrential rain, mixed with sleet and snow, as I popped to the supermarket. When I set off on my usual 80 mile Saturday trip it was snowing and starting to lie. After about 12 miles it turned to sleet then rain, with flooding and standing water. The return journey was in near monsoon rain. (At one spot, on the M90, while doing 60 mph in lane 1 a car in lane 2 struck deep flood water. For several seconds I could see nothing through the windscreen. Frightening.)
According to the ScanGauge E my mpg for the day was 46 mpg. Well down from the usual 56 mpg, as experienced at this time of the year!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
Today I brought the car out of the garage, switched off to lock garage door, drove to local supermarket, shopped, drove home , stopped car, opened garage door and reversed in. 0.7 miles in total. ScanGauge E mpg for day, 25.9. It is no wonder my overall mpg figures are dropping.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
No time for the engine to warm up!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #343 on: March 25, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
I have had the feeling that the car has been a bit "stiff" this past couple of weeks. I has not been coasting all that well and the ScanGauge has shown poor figures. I even checked the wheel centres, yesterday, for heating and signs of brake binding (all okay). This morning I went in for petrol, which has gone up in price, and I expected to pay around £45. When it cut off at under £40 I was surprised. On working out my figures I have achieved 57 mpg (dashboard display said 55.5 mpg) and I had to make an offset to ScanGauge.
I would have expected a figure like that, as I have had 80 mile outings on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but was still surprised to see it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #344 on: March 25, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
I know mine's a Mk3 but this is the most interesting thread for mpg matters!

One thing I'm trying to get to grips with is driving the CVT in the most economical way. Official figures (for what they are worth lol) indicate that the CVT is, overall, more efficient than the manual but I'm finding that the improvement over the Mk 2 manual is marginal and I think most of that improvement is down to changes in the engine on the MK3. I think I am driving in a less economical manner with the CVT. Part of that might be attempting to by pass the initial sluggishness by flooring the gas pedal and finding the revs going up to nearly 4,000 rpm on occasions and this is in a 40 mph speed limit!

Ideally, I need to be getting back to the no higher than 2,500 rpm idea before changing up (or the CVT selecting a higher ratio).

Tags:

anything