Author Topic: Get new Jazz with CVT?  (Read 5574 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Get new Jazz with CVT?
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
These last few weeks ive been considering buying a new car. I really like my Jazz… and now that ive been reading reviews of other cars and going to view them im thinking maybe I should just stick with my Jazz for another year or indefinitely - no other car stands out except maybe the Mazda CX3 but ive yet to drive it.

The last year ive become “one with the Jazz” - I know exactly how it drives and its totally dependable and I push it more now because if things do wear out its not going to be too costly to repair. In 2+ years of ownership only problem Ive had is a washer pump seizing.

Anyway, I was looking at the 2017 Jazz EX with CVT (my current jazz is a manual). I test drove it today and although I really liked the fresh modern interior and exterior the CVT itself was not exciting (and I need an automatic). I kinda knew it wouldn’t be amazing. I didn't try the 1.5 because its boy racer looks don't attract me.

Im just wondering whether the CVT is one of those ill just get used to or will I regret the lack of initial power and revving in London traffic.

Ive read reviews by motoring journalist's (all say no power) and on this forum and just thought id get a snap shot of opinion on this forum today.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Get new Jazz with CVT?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Ignore the journalists views of the CVT Jazz, they have almost all decided not to like it.
The CVT Jazz is an excellent piece of kit. I am on my fifth CVT Jazz and would highly recommend one especially where it is used in traffic such as London.
All cars whether manual or auto have to be revved to get anywhere that's how they work, nothing happens if you don't change gear and open the throttle. The CVT changes gear for you like any other auto box.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Ignore the journalists views of the CVT Jazz, they have almost all decided not to like it.
The CVT Jazz is an excellent piece of kit. I am on my fifth CVT Jazz and would highly recommend one especially where it is used in traffic such as London.
All cars whether manual or auto have to be revved to get anywhere that's how they work, nothing happens if you don't change gear and open the throttle. The CVT changes gear for you like any other auto box.

Vic.

Ignore motoring journalists, unless it has a German badge they never rate it, same with tyres, they always rate Continental highly although they are not the best, guess it depends on which companies pay for advertising space in their rags and who gives the best 'perks'.   I would take more notice of people with CVT on this forum.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
Ignore the "Sport" name on the 1.5 Jazz and give it a try. You'll find that the engine is far less prone to revving each time you want to gently accelerate and this gives a much more relaxed driver experience.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »
Also try using the paddles to give the car a bit more go.
Then again the S mode changes performance quite noticeabley.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

guest6630

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
You do not say which Jazz you currently own but l am guessing from your post that it is a mark 2 with a 5 speed manual gearbox. I have a mark 3 EX with the 6 speed box and compared to my previous mark 2 the gearbox needs to be worked a lot harder to get the best out of the engine. I live in rural Lincolnshire and am up and down the gearbox all the time especially over the wolds. Whilst mine was in for service l was loaned a CVT and was very surprised at its performance. I felt it was much quicker of the mark and very smooth. The engine does rev but no more than going through the gears in a manual. I found the CVT more relaxing to drive and often wish l had bought one instead of the manual.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
As others have said ignore Motoring reviews. I would think that driving in London traffic the CVT would be the best choice you could make, and you're hardly need to rev it very much at that speed; S mode is there if you really need it.

Best thing I ever did buying a CVT Jazz; needed it because of dodgy leg but found it so relaxing in city traffic not having to change gear at all.
Mike.

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
Another positive opinion for CVT.

After few months of experience in urban stop and go driving I would never go back to manual.
Certainly, you will need some time to adopt your driving style to CVT gearbox.

As mentioned, you can always use paddles to manually control gear if you want, but normally you do not need to do that.

In my opinion, in city driving Honda CVT is far superior than PowerShift or DSG.

Also, try reversing and parking manoeuvring with CVT, you will find it extremely easy.

CVT may not be quickest transmission, but it is very smooth and keeps engine at optimal revs at all times, and it is up to you to select "D" for normal driving with good MPG or "S" for better perfomance.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
I’ve had my cvt for a month having swapped from a 6 speed manual jazz, on a daily 40 mile commute both urban and motorway driving it is a revelation so easy no more swapping cogs for me! I tested a sport and would have liked one but I can’t live without climate control so plumped for an EX it accelerates faster than my old jazz on both urban and motorways and revs are lower on normal motorway driving. If you want to get a move on pushing the loud peddle past the notch at the bottom of travel revs it to the red line and surprises many bigger rep mobiles  ;) coming from a motorcycling background I love high reving engines

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
On several threads I outlined a second hand experience of a CVT as a passenger which was putting me off. Now I have one, mainly for various issues with an arthritic left ankle and a dodgy left shoulder, I wouldn't go back to a manual.

They are a bit slow off the line, you do have to open the throttle a bit more than you might be comfortable with but, as others have pointed out, you have the very easy to use paddles the down one of which which gives you a quick burst of acceleration as will dropping into S mode.

These 2 give you a good degree of flexibility which the motoring press never seem to mention.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »
I had a try out with a CVT but found it a bit "fussy" compared with my long experience with conventional automatics. But I have to agree, an automatic beats a manual hands down, for everything but fuel efficiency (by my experience with conventional autos).

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
While I agree that conventional automatics are more fuel hungry than manuals, I think the CVT is probably the most economical for fuel as in Drive mode the computer is constantly adjusting for fuel economy and I doubt anyone could drive it in manual mode and get any better mpg?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
Honda's fuel figures indicate that the CVT is more fuel efficient than the manual version.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
I don't if things have changed but the CVT versions were always higher geared then the manuals.
Manual about 25mph/1000rpm in top gear.
CVT about 32mph/1000rpm in the equivalent of top gear.

Vic.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
I test drove a 2017 JAZZ EX CVT 1.4 unaccompanied for 1.5 hours on my usual routes and I REALLY LIKE IT  :D

1. F the reviews. I like the car and its now on my buy list. Im going to check out one more different car maybe - to put my mind at rest - but I doubt it'll beat the Jazz overall.

2. I didn't find the CVT a problem at all. Perfectly fine for my life and driving style. I took it on the motorway and its fine cruising at 70 with rpm around 2500 - no noise issues. Only maybe 1-3 gears some rev noise but nothing that bothered me. On the town roads and traffic - great.

3. The driving position 'feels' higher that my Mk1 Jazz - which is good (maybe the seat is just more plump) and the car 'sits' on the road more. I like it. Drove it like my Mk1 at times and it did well - but mostly ill just be driving it easy.

4. I do think the infotainment is very weak. Wish they put Apple CarPlay in or be able to retro add it as thats all you need. Otherwise its very redundant as you can switch between radio stations via the steering wheel - what else do you need the screen for? Im not paying for nav when my phone will always out perform it. I turned the screen off.

5. And the aircon touch buttons aren't ideal. But is it climate control? I didn't get around to working it out if it is. Climate control being the ability to set a temp and it maintain it automatically.

6. I also couldn't get the cruise control to work.

7. To fold the mirrors do you still have to press the button or is there a way to set it auto fold when the car is shut off?

8. How hard wearing is the seat fabric? Seems like it wont wear well - will need a good cover on the driving seat to ensure it doesn't wear out over time.

9. Might try the 1.5 in CVT if I can so I have experience but I dont think I need the extra power but lower mpg and want the smart keyless stuff rather than black alloys.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:59:31 PM by JazzyJJ »

Tags: