Author Topic: front and back brake discs and pads replacement  (Read 16000 times)

guest4102

front and back brake discs and pads replacement
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
hi people i recently purchased a jazz 1.4i-dsi se and noticed all the brake discs front and back are really worn  the back ones especially, the front ones are lipped about 1mm.So the pads are bound to be worn aswell,but they work ok.Have you any tips or pitfalls on replacing them

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: front and back brake discs and pads replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »
assume you have rear discs ? because of the way the handbrake and rear brake pistons work, you will probably need 'brake caliper piston rewind tool' (which turns and pushes the pistons back into cylinder).

If you are replacing  discs I would get would get an impact driver as well to get the 2x  countersunk cross-head retaining screws out of old discs (these are the very devil to get out, and if you try to get them out using just a screwdriver you will round out the head and have to drill them out). If the discs are hard to get off after the retaining screws are out, there are a couple of threaded holes in the disc where you can screw a couple of M8 bolts to 'push' the disc away from the hub and once the initial 'stuck togetherness' is broken they should come off easily.

other than that just be aware that as you push the pistons back to fit the new pads the brake fluid will be forced back into master cylinder and reservoir, so keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overflow, as it will take the paint off if it gets on bodywork, and will damage most things as it is very agressive.

there are also two kinds of pad material,  adhesive (which puts a coating on the disc) and abrasive (which cleans up the disc surface as it wears)  - original Honda ones are abrasive type, so get discs and pads to match.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:39:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4102

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Hi Culzean thanks for the info.You mentioned a piston rewind tool, i can probably make one at work, Ime guessing this tool fits into a slot on the piston have you any info on the width of slot? Could you use a hose clamp on the brake hose? that would mean you,d have to loosen the bleed nipple to expel the displaced fluid behind the piston as its screwed in, then top up the fluid afterwards (but still keep an eye on it) i dont  think you would have to bleed the brakes afterwards (not sure though!) your way seems less hastle. i have worked on cars before but they,ve all had rear Drums. I have access to a machine tool room.
If you have any more info it would greatly appreciated
Thanks culzean :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »
www.lasertools.co.uk part number 1314 says its for Honda and it fits the Civic.

personally I wouldn't use a clamp on brake pipes as flattening the pipes would damage them and cause weakness and maybe failure.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »
I just tapped those two bolts and put a dab of penetrating oil in them.  20 mins later they came out easily
If music be the food of love, play on

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
I just tapped those two bolts and put a dab of penetrating oil in them.  20 mins later they came out easily

never had such luck in the UK where with the rain and salt on the road they tend to rust in, and even the disc can rust to the hub (which is why you will probably need to use the M8 threaded holes in disc to break the bond with hub).

guest4102

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
thanks culzean
rust has probably took hold like you say, good old blighty weather, ime expecting the worse but i shall crack on
with it when i start the job thanks mate :)

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
Biggest problem I had, after replacing the front discs, and calipers. Which was easy really.
Bleeding the air out was another story. With 4 bleed nipples on each calliper, it took a while.
Result, braking is now fantastic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:53:40 PM »
Biggest problem I had, after replacing the front discs, and calipers. Which was easy really.
Bleeding the air out was another story. With 4 bleed nipples on each calliper, it took a while.
Result, braking is now fantastic.

Four? Mine have only one per caliper..

rogbro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:14:33 PM »
Four piston calipers, four bleed nipples each side.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »
According to this drawing it has one piston (sliding caliper) and one bleed nipple.

rogbro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
That maybe yours Jacko, my Wilwood kit has 4 per calipers. An upgrade as used on earlier Civics.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »
Wilwood kit has 4 per calipers. An upgrade as used on earlier Civics.
If you had explained that it was a non standard braking system there would have been no confusion. And it's Jocko.

Tags:

anything