Author Topic: TPMS on 2015 models  (Read 15303 times)

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
Re: TPMS on 2015 models
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
Oops! Sorry culzean, completely missed that!  :-[
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

guest5079

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
I am sure that a post was raised on how the car could identify a different tyre pressure on one or more wheel. I think the general consensus was that the difference in rolling distance was measure by the ABS sensors and this was converted into a tyre pressure warning.
This would of course cope with different sized wheels, as long as all were the same diameter.
This latest piece of electronic wizardry seems to cloud the issue and appears to be just another bit of EU justification for their existence. Or am I being too simplistic?
I have noticed ads on TV for cars parking themselves.  We have cars that brake if getting too close to the car in front and a few others that I have no doubt missed, what's going to happen? Cars are getting plenty complicated enough and given the posts whereby owners have a problem that the 'technicians'/ computer can't find, all this wizardry is going to cost.  A few years back, at Athens airport, the Airbus we were on was about to take off when  suddenly everything shut down. Sitting in half light was not a comfortable feeling. I happened to be sitting just above the front edge of the right ( starboard?) wing and saw this chap pull up, then proceeded to plug in unplug circuit boards. This went on for a while until all started up again. Considering the complexities of modern aircraft, I was amazed at the trial and error approach. It was not a comfortable flight home.

guest907

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »
Had a spacesaver for the Jazz's I owned and only used it once (fortunately). The differing tyre size did illuminate the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system once I drove with it. Stopped after a couple of hundred yards and took the spacesaver off again thinking it had damaged some wires.

My wife's new Hyundai i10, they've thrown the inflation kit and gone back to spacesavers. Wonder if that's because of the astronomical recovery costs for flat/punctured tyres over the 5 year manufacturer warranty/roadside assistance package?

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
Hi
Does this mean that the spare wheel a lot of us have purchased is totally superfluous with this new fangled tpms should we wish to buy a new mk3 jazz with tpms????
And if we can use our non tpms wheels for emergency purposes ie a flat will there be Insurance implications????.
Regards
Rick

Honda sell spacesavers.  Presumably they do not have a TPMS sensor in them and it is legal to use them.  Similarly,  it must be legal to use a steel spare without a TPMS sensor.  I carry one as a spare.   I would use it to get me home and until I could replace/repair the tyre on the Honda alloy.  It would only be a temporary measure. 

nab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
In reply to Yern you can always turn the vehicle stability assist (VSA ) off temporary while using the spacesaver wheel ?

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
When was the TPMS system introduced for the Jazz please?

I WAS planning on changing our 2008 1.4EX in three (ish) years time for the nearest equivalent last of the Mk2's, in order to avoid some of the electronic frippery appearing on the Mk3 - but maybe need to do that sooner and look for the last of the TPMS-free equivalents.

(I never buy new cars. Always 2-3 years old.)

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
When was the TPMS system introduced for the Jazz please?

My 1.4 ES purchased in November 2012 has NOT got TPMS if that helps.

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
My 1.4 EX September  13 has NOT got TPMS

guest4871

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
I thought TPMS was only first introduced as standard on MY 2015 Honda Jazz models?

guest907

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 01:09:25 AM »
In reply to Yern you can always turn the vehicle stability assist (VSA ) off temporary while using the spacesaver wheel ?

Didn't know that at the time!

2015 Jazz had TPMS, would have been manufactured in 2014...Had to be fitted on production by November. Still possible to buy 2015 cars without TPMS if they had been manufactured before that date and sat in some field somewhere, or pre-reg.

Another excuse to hit the motorist in the pocket when it comes to MOT. Another duff bit of European Legislation (INHO), bit like Tyre Labelling!

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
I thought TPMS was only first introduced as standard on MY 2015 Honda Jazz models?

My September 2014 Jazz is 2015 MY and has TPMS.  A short time after getting it the dash screen showed a low pressure.  One tyre had a nail in it and a slow puncture.   So the TPMS had served its purpose.

guest5251

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Hello and welcome.

TMPS is going to be a headache as I think all EU cars have to have it. Other than that, I don't understand technically why it couldn't be done. There must be some other reason.

when i had a mercedes with tpms fitted it didn't use any extra pieces of kit like the special valve with a transponder,
instead it uses the abs system,its quite simple in working as it uses pulses from the abs sensors.
for example. with a tyre correctly inflated the system may see 500 pulses per minute from the abs system ,if your tyre deflates then the rolling diameter in effect becomes smaller and the amount of pulses will increase when a pre determined threshold is reached then a light appears on the dash,
this maybe the reason for not being able to go down to a smaller size wheel.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Hello and welcome.

TMPS is going to be a headache as I think all EU cars have to have it. Other than that, I don't understand technically why it couldn't be done. There must be some other reason.

when i had a mercedes with tpms fitted it didn't use any extra pieces of kit like the special valve with a transponder,
instead it uses the abs system,its quite simple in working as it uses pulses from the abs sensors.
for example. with a tyre correctly inflated the system may see 500 pulses per minute from the abs system ,if your tyre deflates then the rolling diameter in effect becomes smaller and the amount of pulses will increase when a pre determined threshold is reached then a light appears on the dash,
this maybe the reason for not being able to go down to a smaller size wheel.

The older Jazz models used this method as well,  but as is usual in EU the new legislation means that this method can no longer be used and all cars have to have pressure transponders fitted to each wheel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ricksmith

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
Thanks to all who contributed on this subject.  Spoke to honda a few days ago and they price the tpms sensor at £98 and  similar amount to fit it. So neck end of £200. I'll keep my car and check the tyres pressures weekly and use my spare without any potential electronic or lawful problems. In fact just checked all my tyres and it took about 2 mins. Blimey that was tough!!!!

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »
Spoke to honda a few days ago and they price the tpms sensor at £98 and  similar amount to fit it. So neck end of £200.

£200 per wheel!   This is an obstacle for anyone thinking of fitting winter tyres. 

Presumably, you could not do without the sensors and legally drive around with the dashboard display showing that the system was not working.  Certainy you could not pass the MOT. 

I wonder what people will do in EU countries where they get a lot of snow and ice.  Change the tyres on the original wheel at the start of winter and again at the end of winter?  That's not good for the tyres.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:36:34 PM by Jazzdriver »

Tags: