Author Topic: Is it me or is the Jazz expensive?  (Read 5482 times)

guest238

Is it me or is the Jazz expensive?
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
£13k for the top Jazz before metallic paint, mats and spare for a supermini is extremely expensive. Same really with the Fiesta, Corsa, Cilo, etc, although they offer better discounts.

Considering what you pay for the Hyundai i20 or even the Mazda2 the Jazz has become too expensive for what it is.

guest671

• Topic Starter
Re: Is it me or is the Jazz expensive?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »
I have had a new Jazz for about 6 months and I believe you get what you pay for - quality and reliability. You just can't compare a Honda to a Hyundai

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Ford, Vauxhall, Renualt, etc, may offer more discounts but the standard kit is mean (no curtain 'bags, USB or electric rear windows as standard on the top-range Fiesta) and the residuals are weaker.

Although I'd have more faith in a Hyundai's quality and reliability then in a Ford or Renault.

guest436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
The Jazz is expensive, but you get more back come resale and excellent fuel economy. Yes there are 'minis that probably drive better or feel more plush inside, but I know where my money will go.

The others? The Clio is an excellent little car. What a shame though it's made by Renault.  ::). And leave the Fiesta and Corsa to the kids.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »
Ask the AA or RAC if they ever get called out to a Jazz (or any Honda for that matter), and then check the other makes, also check Jazz in JD power stats - if that isn't enough, the Jazz is slowest depreciation after mini.

Steer clear of French and Italian cars, I will never even consider another Fiat after the continual grief my wife (and therefore me) had with her Punto, the money spent on it would have kept a small third world country going for a year - the last straw (after gearbox, suspension, ignition coils and oxygen sensors) was when the heater matrix blew and filled the car with anti-freeze - cost damn near £400 to fix because the whole of the dash has to be taken out to replace it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest934

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
When you see the price certainly for the EX which I chose it does look expensive. Factor in metallic paint and the spare tyre (which should be a no cost option as you sacrifice the boot divider and other bits) and you are looking around £14k. However when you look at the features that it has, and we all know what they are, and factor in the favourable running costs and reliability it is a no brainer IMHO.

People nowadays (me included) are looking for big car features in a smaller more economical package. I wanted a car with all the toys as standard which some of which you can of course fit as optional extras but not only do you end you bumping the price over the Jazz, you can be guaranteed you will get no return on your extra outlay.

One thing I realised when it came to selecting options - just stick with metallic paint and an auto if thats really for you.

The other cars I were considering earlier this year was the Fiesta Titanium - a model that seems to fare rather well in the motoring press which seems terrible biased. Posters have accurately highlighted the cars shorcomings on here. After 12 years of driving French cars I decided I will never even consider an offering across the channel again even if I had a gun to my head.

Yeah people take the piss out of me for driving an "old mans car" but goes to show that they know a thing or two when it comes choosing something decent.   

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
"old mans car?".......i thought i had one of the most famous "old mans cars" or so i was politely told when purchasing my wifes Jazz in Stockport..........
Mind you i am an old man...but i like my car...lol ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
Small cars can't escape the pigeonhole association with age. Fiesta, Corsa, 207, Clio, etc., are seen as cars for very young drivers or even 'girls' cars, largely because of the 'trendy' image and the age of people who buy them. Jazz, Micra, Yaris and Fabia are in contrast are seen as oldies cars, again because of the owner demographic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
Is it any coincidence that Fiesta, Clio, Punto, small Peugeots, Corsa etc. are seen as 'cheap and cheerful' and don't really have the best reliability stats (and there is also a saturated secondhand car and after-market accessory supply for these cars).

Fabia, Jazz, Yaris and to a lesser degree the Micra are more up-market and have fabulous reliability.  I don't think it's 'cool' to drive a car that is going to cost a fortune in repairs and still strand you on the motorway hard shoulder at 3AM in the pouring rain.

Older people are wiser and put function before style when buying a car, and don't mind if their technologically perfect car doesn't have a 'cool' image.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
I never understood why the latest 'Hello Kitty' Micra is ignored by the young female drivers. The Micra looks just like the soft toys they pile onto the parcel shelf of their Corsa's or 206's.

Tags: