Author Topic: older drivers  (Read 1391 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: older drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
I like how, after you read it it takes you to an advert, "Buy a new Honda Jazz".  Should, but doesn't say, "The old duffer's car".

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
I like how, after you read it it takes you to an advert, "Buy a new Honda Jazz".  Should, but doesn't say, "The old duffer's car".

I like the stats that older drivers are actually safer than younger ones ( mind you they do less miles on average ).

Article also says that if they took people off the road for being dangerous under 25s would be their target group.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
Quite topical for me at the moment - not personally but a neighbour across the road has had his licence removed. I know he suffers from leukemia which in itself wouldn't lead to a ban but possibly a complication. A former colleague told me that he is facing a ban. He had an operation for cataracts and it didn't do the business so there is some suspicion he is in the early stages of macular degeneration. He's 76.

When we downsized 6 years ago, ability to exist easily without a car was a crucial factor in choice of location. We are on a bus route, relatively near to 3 train stations and within a taxi ride to 2 airports. We could manage quite well without a car although I wouldn't want to.

guest7494

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
When we downsized 6 years ago, ability to exist easily without a car was a crucial factor in choice of location. We are on a bus route, relatively near to 3 train stations and within a taxi ride to 2 airports. We could manage quite well without a car although I wouldn't want to.

With ref to your above comments. Peteo48
This is exactly the criteria we applied when we downsized 4 years ago.
But am fortunately still driving with eye sight that is above the required standards  per my  ophthalmologist, this is of course with the relevant spectacles, so I consider myself very fortunate.
When I see the escapades of some drivers I  wonder how they get to there destinations,all of them in a hurry to get somewhere fast .
The majority of accidents are not accidents at all they are lazy people rolling out of bed each morning with not enough time to drive sensibly  to there destinations. These are usually not aged drivers with the experience of time.
Time being the operative word
Sorry just another of my rambles.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
I had a works colleague who had cataracts in both eyes, couldn't see his hand in front of his face, and drove right up until his operations (including towing a caravan EVERY weekend).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
I am only  71 years old and drive safely everywhere at 10 mph... it's the queues of traffic behind who keep hooting that annoy me.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

guest7494

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
I am only  71 years old and drive safely everywhere at 10 mph... it's the queues of traffic behind who keep hooting that annoy me.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank you I really had a good laugh. ;D ;D

Tags: