Author Topic: Supermarket Fuels  (Read 2828 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Supermarket Fuels
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut again but I have just seen an Asda Tanker at a BP filling station just outside Warrington. It was delivering fuel not just parked there.

Are you really getting a premium product at a branded station?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Supermarket Fuels
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:26 AM »
Myth or Fact? - Supermarket fuel can damage your car

Myth

Supermarket fuel tanker lorries often fill up from the same tanks as branded fuel lorries– so most of the time the fuel they sell is the same, but premium fuel may have different additive packages.

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/this-matters-fuel/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

So unless you buy their Premium fuel, you could get Asda petrol at the BP station - at BP prices!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Hi Guys, Can I tell you a story.
Back in 2003 I purchased a brand new Landrover Freelander and after driving it for a couple of months, I was of the opinion that it was not performing as it it should, in terms of general smoothness and Mpg etc. I spent 44 years at Landrover so I know a bit about the vehicles.

When I spoke to my dealer about my concerns, his first question was, "What fuel are you using?" to which I replied 'Supermarket'. He then said, "Try a couple of tankfuls of branded fuel, Shell, BP or whatever and then come and see me"

I did as he suggested and I have to report, there was a significant difference, so much so that the increase in Mpg more than covered the increase in fuel cost.
Now, I know of course I are talking diesel rather than petrol and is was 16 years ago, but I maintain there is a similar difference in petrol as well, certainly my Jazz runs better on branded fuel
Petoe48 may be right regarding Asda tankers  and the difference in performance may well be down to the additives, I just don't know, but I have never used cheap fuel since.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:29:31 AM »
What struck me about the Asda tanker was I've seen branded tankers off loading fuel at supermarket petrol stations but not the other way round.

These days, more often than not, it seems to be a third party carrier like Wincanton but the Asda tanker is the first time I've seen this.

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
It was a third party haulier transporting fuel in a tanker painted in ASDA livery containing BP spec fuel from a third party depot,............

unless, of course, the driver was completely muddled (or had run out of fuel himself and was topping up or worked for British Airways and had a flight plan for Edinburgh for a flight destined for Dusseldorf).  :D I once boarded the wrong plane. It happens.

Petrol is a standard regulated product. It is only the different additives which the brand owner adds that make it different.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut again but I have just seen an Asda Tanker at a BP filling station just outside Warrington. It was delivering fuel not just parked there.

Are you really getting a premium product at a branded station?

On many sites I have seen posts by tanker drivers saying that the additives are added when the destination of tanker is known and it is leaving the main depot.  This makes sense as the base fuel is the same and it is only the additive package that boosts the RON rating and extra cleaning abilities.  I have noticed better performance and smoother running with higher octane in both Jazz and Civic,  the best was probably Tesco 99RON ( maybe just an octane boost with no extra cleaners though) but I don't go past Tesco very often - I will fill up with Ultimate 97 every so often, but will also put a glug of Redex injector cleaner in the tank every couple of months, particularly now I don't do anywhere near the miles I used to.   

I use Redex in motorbike and lawn mower as well, especially over winter ( the petrol in their tanks is actually very pink)  and where the bike and lawnmower used to be difficult to start after winter layup ( understatment LOL ) they now virtually spring into life - there is no placebo effect or confirmation bias in that,  it is very objective - they used to be hard to start, sometime a can of eazy-start or a carb strip down,  now non of that is remotely necessary....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
There is certainly difference using Shell V-Power compared to supermarket on my 2009 i-shift. All I can say it's try it, especially on a longer journey. The only problem is the extra cost, but if you can afford it, then why not.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »

Are you sure it was delivering fuel?

Isn't it possible that Asda buy their fuel from BP filling stations to re-sell at a cheaper price at Asda petrol stations?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
I tried V-Power and the car felt better, but the minor improvement in mpg (actually, the second tankful gave no improvement) was far outweighed by the increased cost. The only reason I run the Jazz is for the economy of the thing. Otherwise I would still be running my Volvo, And the Volvo on Supermarket petrol was far smoother and livelier than the Jazz on V-Power!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Isn't it possible that Asda buy their fuel from BP filling stations to re-sell at a cheaper price at Asda petrol stations?
I wonder how long it would take to fill a tanker from a petrol pump?  ;D

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
I should have saved that post for April 1st ! ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
I wonder how long it would take to fill a tanker from a petrol pump?  ;D

I think you would need a calendar rather than a stopwatch.

You never really appreciate how quick a petrol pump puts fuel into the tank of your car until you put petrol in from cans - the cans take ages and you always spill some..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »

Are you sure it was delivering fuel?

Yes - all its hoses were connected unless it was sucking BP Petrol out!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
Don't worry. I got the joke!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »

You dangled the bait and I bit :-[

Tags:

anything