Author Topic: Audio info screen.  (Read 5478 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Audio info screen.
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
I have a non nav car. In the audio information screen (the strip along the top of the screen) I have a logo which I can't find in the user manual. It is a dot with a circle around it and four short legs at 12, 3, 6, and 9. Any ideas what it is? It looks as if it is greyed out.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Audio info screen.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
Sounds like a GPS location symbol

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
This symbol refers to the GPS receiver. Both Navi and Non-Navi  cars have GPS receivers. In the non-navi vehicles the location is used in the parking and fuel apps which can be downloaded from the Honda App centre. It can also be used  by unofficial navigation apps such as Google Maps and Sygic.  If you swipe the strip downwards the text will read something like "Position determined by GPS". Whilst the system is acquiring the satellite signals the dot will flash, becoming steady when location is determined.

Hope this helps

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
Thanks, I have just found the same logo on my Android tablet. It comes on when "location" is on.

Edit -

I have just been into the android settings in the car and the "Use satellites to determine position" was ticked. Having unticked it the logo has gone. As the logo only appeared yesterday I wonder how it got switched on!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:55:16 PM by Deeps »

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »
So a non-Navi car has GPS?  I wonder what the nav software licence costs Honda?
--
TG

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
So a non-Navi car has GPS?
I wondered about that too. The head unit, being basically an Android tablet, probably has positioning built in to the software, but does it have all the necessary ancillaries such as an antenna with a good view of the sky ? I've experimented with using Google Maps on the car unit (non-Navi) with web connectivity via my phone, and found that whilst you do get an "I'm here !" dot on the screen it's not particularly accurate and is very slow to update ... I put that down to poor position data provided by the car's system.

So does anyone have experience of getting good positioning info on the screen of a non-Navi car ?

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
Hi

I fitted an xtrons 2 din to our jazz.

It had an external gps antenna which is hidden behind the dash towards the front bulk head. It is magnectic so I placed it just behind the bar at the back of where the headunit fits in

It picks up between 12 to 14 sat signals with excellent signal

I think your right, and does not have external antenna

There should be a screen in settings to show sat signals. Perhaps look to see

Many thanks

John

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
So a non-Navi car has GPS?
So does anyone have experience of getting good positioning info on the screen of a non-Navi car ?

The GPS on a non-navi unit works just the same as a Navi one, I use Waze (installed via the HondaAppCenter_A1 backdoor) and it works just fine, as you would expect for any navigation.

The Navi equipped unit has more memory to be able to store the additional Garmin App and its Map.

Don't forget the Navi map also comes with 5 years of map updates included.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »
Just to confirm what Steve_M said, I installed both Sygic and Google Maps on my previous non Navi SE and both worked well. The GPS took a minute or so to fix the vehicle position but then accurately followed the map.

I haver also installed Google Maps on my current EX Navi as occasionally the more detailed and frequently updated traffic info can be more useful than the TMC data on the Garmin application.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
The GPS on a non-navi unit works just the same as a Navi one, I use Waze (installed via the HondaAppCenter_A1 backdoor) and it works just fine, as you would expect for any navigation.
Just to confirm what Steve_M said, I installed both Sygic and Google Maps on my previous non Navi SE and both worked well.
Thanks for the clarification, obviously the non-Navi cars DO have perfectly functional positioning !

Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of installing those apps though, that seems very involved and laced with potential pitfalls, not to mention being unable to use the radio and having to delve into the settings every time to get it working whilst moving. For me, it's easier to just use a stand-alone phone or nav device.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Sygic was a bit of a pain to install but Google Maps is straightforward. You would need to download the "permissions" app and google maps version 8.4 (this is the newest version that will work with the firmware of the Honda system) from cmdroid.com. Once installed you set the permissions according to the instructions on the website. The result is a functioning navigation app, which works whilst the car is in motion, with the radio playing and without having to enter settings every time. 

You would need an internet connection though. I use the Carfi device from Three which simply plugs into the 12v socket beneath the heater controls.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
Probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
Is it possible to link my Garmin navi 1300 to the Info screen so that the GPS map can be viewed on the larger screen?
Alternatively does the installation of Google maps to the Honda screen achieve virtually the same result?

Ken T.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Ken

If your existing unit has an HDMI output then it would be possible to mirror the display on the Connect screen. However, in these circumstances you would need to disable the VPS error via the settings menu (taking about 30 seconds) each time the car is started as referred to by Colin above. I used this method with an iPhone for a couple of months last year before coming across the app installation procedures.

With regard to your  Google Maps question, the answer is yes. You get a functional navigation system with voice guidance, but you do need an internet connection. Also you can only navigate to one destination as waypoints en-route are not supported, but it does give you the choice of up to three routes initially.

Nigel

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »
Many thanks Nigel, my satnav does not have a HDMI output, so I think I will leave well alone. It would really choke me off, having to wait 30 seconds, each time the car is started.
In fact someone should come up with a software upgrade, which would cancel that stupid safety notice, which has to acknowledged every time. I suppose it's the elf & safety gremlins at work again!!

Tags:

anything