Author Topic: Ready for the winter  (Read 12131 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Ready for the winter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »

Didn't know whether to put this in the electric car thread or this one!

How to wash a Tesla. Does the rinse with filtered water!

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Ready for the winter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
I guess you could do both though

I think I now know why your car looks so good Jazzway. I've just topped up the wax (Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax) - never clayed a car. I remain to be convinced about clay - after all we had shiny cars long before clay. Open to persuasion though.

I clay mine, but don't notice a great difference before and after. Even after the first time I did it.

When you don't see any difference, i think you have a very clean car, Jocko. But here's a photo i took of the piece of clay after i clayed a 40x40 centimeter part of our daughters car bonnet.

This photo was last September, 6 months after i also clayed her car. It is an oily dirt and called traffic-or road film — Oil, other car fluids and dirt accumulate on the roads and together with dirty exhaust gases comes on your car while driving, especially when it rains. When you do not regular wash the car, the dirt builds up and this road film cannot washed off other than with special, very aggressive TFR (traffic film remover) or claying. Also some dirt that never goes away with regular washes; tar spots, some sticky tree saps, can be removed with claying.
Road film is not something you can see easily, on our daughters black car i could see a brownish glow, but when you're not seeing it doesn't mean it isn't there.
And that's why it is important to clay a car once or twice a year BEFORE you wax! A wax, sealant or other coating doesn't bond well on dirt and is gone away in weeks instead of months.

Work back and forth and not in circles, do not push the clay onto the paint, but instead let it glide only with the weight of your (flat) hand. While claying always use plenty clay lube or another car detailing lubricant — I use my rinseless wash shampoo in a stronger mix. When the clay is dirty fold it over to trap the dirt and carry on, using a clean side of clay. Also take your time, work in small parts and don't use a heavy grade clay-bar to get the job done faster.  You will then mar (damage) the paint which can only be polished out. — I always use a fine grade clay-bar and depending the dirt i work longer, but always safe.

Hi Jazzway, how can you remove the roof trims please?
Push the rear of the trim forward to release the rear clip, lift the rear trim, pull the trim back to release the front clip. This video shows it: https://youtu.be/2LZN5UHPq04

When I wash my car I use two buckets. Then after the car is washed I use the wash bucket for the wheels. Do you use a third bucket just to keep the bucket itself clean? I wash the bucket out after I am done.
I would love to be able to use a D/A polisher on my paintwork. I am sure it would make a huge difference, but I have no power, living in a top storey flat!
One bucket with soapy water, the 2nd with only water (and a grit guard) to rinse the wash mitt (or pad) between washing the car parts, and 3rd bucket is for the wheels. I only use a 3rd bucket for the wheels and wells when they are really dirty, and then do them first before i wash the rest of the car. The same for foaming, btw. When the car is only light to medium dirty i do a rinse with only water or a mild rinseless shampoo mix in a spray bottle before and then wash the car with 2 buckets, or do a rinse-less wash like you. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:27:31 PM by jazzway »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Every time I have clayed the car I have removed a lot of dirt, evident by the dirt on the clay (as in your picture). What I didn't see was any appreciable difference in the appearance of the car's paintwork. Perhaps it is the colour, or the fact that the paintwork had been roughly treated for 10 years before I got it. I bought the car from a dealer and it had been valeted before I got it, so it may have been clayed then.

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Ready for the winter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Jocko, when you said you didn't see any difference, i was assuming also the clay stayed clean. When i clay our silver Jazz i also don't see a difference on the paint, but the clay-bar later showed it was there. The same with other light-medium colored cars, but our daughter's car is black and on that color you see everything! After a good wash and before claying, the car was clean with a brownish glow, after claying it was black.
The difference i always see, with every color, is when it's polished (cleanser polish, or other). When we picked up our Jazz 2 years ago it looked good, when i clayed and polished it( cleanser polish, done by hand) a few months later you could see a big difference - very smooth and there was a much improved clarity which made the metallic paint underneath sparkle. But as i said previous, when you don't see road/traffic film that doesn't mean it isn't there. You just proved that. When you want the best durability of a wax, sealant or coating, the paint has to be clean!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:50:16 PM by jazzway »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »
As I said earlier. My car would really benefit with a polish with a D/A. I just hand polish, with Meguiar`s G17216EU Ultimate Compound, then wax with the Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
I gave up polishing cars donkeys years ago, I consider that for the difference it makes to the appearance and value isn't worth the outlay or effort.
Having a drive means that I can wash the car with a hose attached to a lance with a brush having first washed the grit off with the hose and a jet.No chance of grit scratching
 the paintwork. The wheels get done with a wheel brush on the hose. The garage hose also runs off softened water so if the weather is a bit iffy only the windows get leather dried the body gets the water removed with a squeegee. Soft water means no marks left as it dries out.
In the winter the wheel arches and underside get sprayed as well to get the mud and salt out.
The last cleaning expense I had was a new leather after ten years of use.
I am told that the new wash and polish liquids are very good even if the car is grubby but I would be a bit worried about the grit on the bodywork.

Vic.

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
As I said earlier. My car would really benefit with a polish with a D/A. I just hand polish, with Meguiar`s G17216EU Ultimate Compound, then wax with the Bilt Hamber Double Speed-Wax.
I know and you also mentioned it another post. Yes, a correction polish done with a D/A machine, when done good, it removes a little clear-coat and with that swirls and scratches go away — that improves shine. You can also do it by hand, but not as perfect and it's a really hard job. But by using it by hand as you do, you are still cleaning the paint! And from the photos i have seen, your car looks really good!

You can try another polish maybe. Poorboy's World White Diamond or -Blank Hole f.e., it's a cleanser polish and it fills swirls and minor scratches beautiful, then wax and enjoy the shine! :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
I gave up polishing cars donkeys years ago, I consider that for the difference it makes to the appearance and value isn't worth the outlay or effort.
Having a drive means that I can wash the car with a hose attached to a lance with a brush having first washed the grit off with the hose and a jet.No chance of grit scratching
 the paintwork. The wheels get done with a wheel brush on the hose. The garage hose also runs off softened water so if the weather is a bit iffy only the windows get leather dried the body gets the water removed with a squeegee. Soft water means no marks left as it dries out.
In the winter the wheel arches and underside get sprayed as well to get the mud and salt out.
The last cleaning expense I had was a new leather after ten years of use.
I am told that the new wash and polish liquids are very good even if the car is grubby but I would be a bit worried about the grit on the bodywork.

Vic.

I may have mentioned this before but my neighbour uses the Tesco hand wash - OK he gets a new car every 3 years but his car looks absolutely fine - it even beads up after rain.

Now before I waxed my car pre this winter, I had been using Autoglym Aqua Wax. Instead of using a drying towel or chamois, you spray this on the wet car (after hosing all the shampoo off) and go round the car drying off with one micro fibre and then quickly buffing with another (both come in the kit). I must admit the car beaded up a treat so I'm thinking this maybe all you need unless you want to go to the next level.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
The weather was a bit milder today so I decided to give my car a wash. It was filthy, after a load of motorway miles this past couple of weeks. The roads here are very dirty, now that gritting is in full swing.
I used the two bucket method and my Dodo Juice Rinseless shampoo. I used my "Dirty" mitt to clean the bottom of the car, but didn't towel it. I then started from the roof down, as I would do in the summer, using the "Clean" mitt and towelling dry between panels. I washed the entire car this way, having removed the worst of the dirt prior to starting the wash proper. If I had access to running water, and a hose, I would be able to remove the heavy dirt deposits so much easier. When I finished I binned the "Dirty" mitt and ordered a fresh one for "Clean" use!
Once the car was washed and dried I cleaned the windows using Black Diamond Quick Glass, buffing up with kitchen towel. I then sprayed the tyres with Autoglym Tyre Dressing. I then took a couple of photographs with my phone.
Car doesn't look too bad for 180 miles short of 100,000.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
 Jocko

I was talking to a car dealer a while back and he warned about buying a car from Scotland. Despite modern proofing, the rust underneath is usually far worse than in the south, even with fairly young cars. This must be down to road conditions, gritting and the greater humidity. Seems to me that wherever you go up there you are never far from water.

PS - I have just noticed your registration!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:53:06 PM by MartinJG »

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Car doesn't look too bad for 180 miles short of 100,000.

The car looks great!! And i wish ours had that color. ;)

I have washed ours twice since the end of September, last week was a rinseless one. But getting really cold and winter weather on its way now, she has to do it without, haha.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
New wash mitt arrived today. It is a Meguiar's mitt this time, and seems like a quality item. This has a much shorter  texture than the "worm" style of the previous one. And a lot easier to get my large hands in!

Old ones.

New one.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Car looks great for 100,000 miles Jocko. Given you don't have access to a hose or outside tap, do you go straight into a wash with the rinseless product or wet the car first?

jazzway

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
When i do a rinseless wash i spray in the panel i am going to wash first, with the same solution. Or on a bit more dirtier and the lower parts spray in the next panel(s) so it gets some time to loosen the dirt before you wash it. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »
I just use the rinseless wash, but copious amounts to flush off the worst of the dirt. I next wash the bottom half using  my "Dirty" mitt then, from the top down, with the "Clean" mitt and towel.

Tags:

anything