Author Topic: Correct spare wheeel ?  (Read 1918 times)

DJohn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE
Correct spare wheeel ?
« on: October 21, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »
Hi, new to the forum with a 2017 jazz SE Sunset Orange but in the boot is a 165/60 R14 Primewell PS 880 tyre on a steel wheel
Is this a suitable spare, please.

John
John

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Correct spare wheeel ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Hi, new to the forum with a 2017 jazz SE Sunset Orange but in the boot is a 165/60 R14 Primewell PS 880 tyre on a steel wheel
Is this a suitable spare, please.

John
For emergency low-speed use only I suggest, as it clearly will not match your other wheel- tyre combinations, even if the overall diameter is the same.  It sounds like a wheel from an earlier Jazz model with 14 inch wheels.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
As far as I can make out, it doesn't make a lot of difference as all of the emergency spares are of smaller overall diameter to those fitted to the car. However, if it is a 14" spacesaver off the earlier cars, I'm sure someone on here said that they foul the brake caliper on the front wheels of the mk3, so are not usable. I believe the mk3 spacesavers are 15".

All that said, it must also be clearly marked as an emergency spare to be legal as a 'get-you-home' spare wheel. Otherwise, you need a tyre which matches those on the car.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
165/60 R14 is not a spacesaver.  It is a full-size tyre but not for a Mk3 Jazz.  If it does fit around the brake system, it will not be legal for use as a normal spare.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »
Visit your local Honda dealer and get the spare checked out. Then, if it's the wrong size, confront whoever sold you the car...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
165/60 R14 is not a spacesaver.  It is a full-size tyre but not for a Mk3 Jazz.  If it does fit around the brake system, it will not be legal for use as a normal spare.

That was my suspicion, that it would not be marked as an emergency spare. It sounds like a Picanto wheel, or similar.

Downsizer is absolutely correct that it would not be legal for use on the car, in any capacity.

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
If you can fit a space saver tyre that is different to the other wheels for emergency use I'd be surprised if you couldn't also fit a full-size spare that is slighy different for emergency use. The Corsa I had prior to the Jazz had an officially supplied full-size spare that had a slightly different rolling diameter. They are for emergencies after all.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
From my research there seems to be no requirement to have a speed sticker on a space saver spare.

DJohn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
Thanks, everyone.
Showed it to my local Honda dealer who said it was ok.
It also fits In the floor well in the boot too, & there is a retaining bolt as well.
Had to remove the black polystyrene moulding though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:12:07 AM by DJohn »
John

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
Thanks, everyone.
Showed it to my local Honda dealer who said it was ok.
It also fits In the floor well in the boot too, & there is a retaining bolt as well.
Had to remove the black polystyrene moulding though.
Did they say it was OK as a spare for normal use or just as an emergency "get-you-home" item?  I can't see how it can be safe to mix a 14" wheel with 3x15" wheels for full speed use, even though the overall wheel and tyre combination has the same diameter.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »
As far as I can see from my research, a wheel that differs in size from the other on the "axle", can only be used as an emergency spare which, should be used at a reduced speed. Distance is another matter. It is not a requirement to drive to the nearest tyre fitter/garage. Unless a distance is specified by the vehicle/wheel supplier/manufacturer, you can continue your journey. Running about on it for days may attract official attention!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
From my research there seems to be no requirement to have a speed sticker on a space saver spare.

I don't think there is, but the wheel should be identifiable as a temporary spare. Regulation 27 of The Motor Vehice Construction & Use Regulations specififically state that a wheel fitted with a "temporary use tyre" may be used in an emergency, but is limited to 50mph.

These tyres are are very clearly marked "TEMPORARY USE".

If there's nothing identifying the wheel or tyre as a temporary spare, what's to stop plod giving you a CU30, fine and 3 points for mixing tyre sizes on an axle? An offence has been committed, because the tyre fitted does not comply with Reg. 27, in that it is not a temporary use tyre.

Not certain I would want to risk it, unless I was just around the corner from home.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
And it would almost certainly invalidate your insurance which is an even worse offence.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »
GEM Motoring site says The answer is that differently-sized wheels on the same axle are not illegal, provided that the odd one is marked clearly as being for temporary use – see picture. However, if submitted for an MoT Test, a fail would still result..

Next time I have the car out I will check and see if my spare tyre is marked "Temporary use". I know the wheel is.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Next time I have the car out I will check and see if my spare tyre is marked "Temporary use". I know the wheel is.

It should be, both of ours say "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" on the tyres, in fairly large script.

These are not standard tyres, they have to withstand the 50-60psi tyre pressure required to support the weight on the narrow road contact.

If you did use a standard rim with a non-spec narrow tyre, how do you know what pressure to put in it? Is the tyre even rated for that pressure, or of sufficient load index?

Tags: