Author Topic: EX or SE? 2016 Jazz help needed  (Read 4029 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: EX or SE? 2016 Jazz help needed
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »
A reversing camera dumbs down car control skills, van and lorry drivers use mirrors, which are perfectly adequate if you know how to use them.
Where I think a camera would be helpful is assessing how far away you are from whatever is behind you.  I find the sensors not too good when reversing towards bushes etc, which means I can find myself too close to access the boot without trapping greenery when closing it!  Mirrors don't give this information.
What really gives the reversing camera value is the graphics showing where your car is heading. See here, around 1 minute in.

Mind you his comment that "you don't really need to use your mirrors" is stupid. I share most of my attention between mirrors and windows to get situational awareness (traffic, pedestrians etc). I only glance at the camera to confirm where the car is going. The great thing about it is that most of your attention can therefore be on what's going on around you. The issue of 'where is the car going?' becomes obvious thanks to the graphics.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:29:06 AM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
A reversing camera dumbs down car control skills, van and lorry drivers use mirrors, which are perfectly adequate if you know how to use them.
You've obviously never reversed a vehicle that had the facility otherwise you wouldn't be so critical of it.

Two of my previous cars have had reversing cameras, I would rather be looking around at what is happening than staring at a screen that only gives part of the situation. Pilots have a saying, "Don't forget to look out of the window" (Don't get mesmerised by the instruments). You see it all the time with phone zombie drivers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:57:03 AM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
I reckon a reversing camera could only be a good thing. Certainly better than parking sensors. My experience of parking sensors have never enamoured me to them (I suppose you have to build confidence). Anything that makes driving safer is a benefit.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »
I know of a driver, a female relative who shall remain nameless, who was reversing using a camera, spun the steering wheel to go where the camera showed a clear area and planted the front of the car sideways into a multi storey carpark concrete roof support.

Fortunately not my car! :-)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:21:47 AM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
You've obviously never reversed a vehicle that had the facility otherwise you wouldn't be so critical of it.

Two of my previous cars have had reversing cameras, I would rather be looking around at what is happening than staring at a screen that only gives part of the situation.
So would I, as I explained. If you've been staring at a reversing camera while reversing then you've been using it wrong. It's a useful supplement that - if glanced at occasionally - allows the driver to redirect their attention away from mere vehicle control to the outside environment. In other words used correctly it helps the driver do exactly what you think they should be doing.

In the example you gave the lady was using the feature wrongly and is clearly a poor driver. The driver's attention should be roughly: 90% windows, mirrors - mainly monitoring the environment. 10% reversing camera - checking the vehicles positioning. Of course the driver is going to get some positioning information from observing the environment but most of it can come from the reversing camera in a fraction of a second if there are graphics on it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:33:44 PM by andruec »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »
My last 3 cars, before this one, were all EX spec so they had climate control although none had keyless entry or reversing cameras. This time out I wanted an automatic and a newer car and both these factors put a bit of a strain on the budget. I admit I was reluctant to go back to manual air con.

As it has turned out I have few regrets. I don't value keyless entry at all. The camera would have been a "nice to have" but that's all - my low mileage and rare requirement to reverse into a difficult space helps here.

I thought I would really miss the climate control but I haven't. I tended to fiddle with it a bit anyway. I'd have it again but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 05:03:37 PM »
I have never had climate control. My Volvo had manual air con and it did everything I wanted it to do. From what I have read on ClubJazz, Honda's climate control never seems to to do exactly what the various owners wanted it to do. Now I have nothing, and I miss my air con, though, despite the summer we are experiencing, I am not missing it as much this years as last year. Perhaps I am just getting used to not having it. I also missed the remote locking/unlocking but now I never give it a second thought.

Tags: