Author Topic: Finding it hard to adjust...  (Read 6622 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Finding it hard to adjust...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
I too like the Jazz as its seating position helps my old bones enter and leave. The Volvo sometimes felt I was at pavement level, and had to roll out of it!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
I too like the Jazz as its seating position helps my old bones enter and leave. The Volvo sometimes felt I was at pavement level, and had to roll out of it!

I think the height of seats in Jazz is spot on,  you do not have to climb out (as you do with Civic and other cars) but don't have to climb in either (like you do with SUV or similar).   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
I could not see the bonnet on the fiat 500 and on a daihatsu yrv but the honda jazz sport has front parking sensors and also it cannot be that flimsy as its gained a 5 star crash rating my fiat only had 3 or 4 i think not sure if anyone can tell me does the jazz sport have a rotating wheel for driver seatback or is it a lever i hope its a rotating wheel.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm afraid it's a lever!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
I'm afraid it's a lever!
Yes. If I remember correctly you pump it up to maximum then it drops back down.

It's another area that I feel Nissan do better. Cabin ventilation and chair positioning. It's beginning to look like my next car is going to be a Micra. Oh, the shame!

:)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »
I had considered a Micra before buying the Jazz. But my other half didn't like the "cooker" control knobs.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
I had a Mk 3 Jazz CVT for just over a year before trading it in for my HR-V (also CVT). I think the underlying problem is that the 1.3 Jazz engine is configured as Atkinson cycle below around 2,500 RPM. The Atkinson cycle improves efficiency  but this comes at the expense of performance so it's fine for cruising (eg Land's End to John O' Groats at 40 mph on a single tank of fuel) but not for situations where more power is needed (acceleration, hills,...). The CVT gearbox is configured to change down with the engine revs rising to around 3,000 RPM whenever power is needed and, at that RPM, the engine noise becomes noticeable. I think this is what the press commented on.

After a year I got the HR-V with its 1.5 non-Atkinson cycle engine which provides a smoother drive with less apparent effort as the engine revs increase much more progressively. If, as I believe, the Jazz Sport, has the same engine then it offers a relatively effortless drive compared to the 1.3 Jazz. If you can't adjust to the  behaviour of the 1.3 L Jazz engine then changing to the Jazz Sport might be the way forward. Just ignore the "Sport" in the name.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »

After a year I got the HR-V with its 1.5 non-Atkinson cycle engine which provides a smoother drive with less apparent effort as the engine revs increase much more progressively. If, as I believe, the Jazz Sport, has the same engine then it offers a relatively effortless drive compared to the 1.3 Jazz. If you can't adjust to the  behaviour of the 1.3 L Jazz engine then changing to the Jazz Sport might be the way forward. Just ignore the "Sport" in the name.

The Jazz sport 1.5 revs less when accelerating than the 1.3. It was the first thing I noticed when I did a test drive. The car with the CVT is very smooth to drive almost effortless. The Honda Fit was always sold with a 1.5 engine in the US which may explain why people seemed quite happy with the power. In the UK unlike the US the Jazz Sport does not have a Sport Logo, I prefer it that way.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm afraid it's a lever!
Yes. If I remember correctly you pump it up to maximum then it drops back down.

Noticed that seat squab slowly drops back down on the Jazz but not the Civic which stays where it is put.  Never had seat back move (unless you pull the lever again) on either.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
It has never happened with the Jazz, but on previous cars I have always found the seat back "relaxes" over a period of months. I have never been aware of it happening, but I would suddenly think to myself "this mirror could do with adjusting". A slight adjustment to the seat and all would be fine (no one ever touches my mirror - on pain of grievous wounding). But as I say - touch wood - I have never needed to alter the seat on the Jazz.

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
It has never happened with the Jazz, but on previous cars I have always found the seat back "relaxes" over a period of months. I have never been aware of it happening, but I would suddenly think to myself "this mirror could do with adjusting". A slight adjustment to the seat and all would be fine (no one ever touches my mirror - on pain of grievous wounding). But as I say - touch wood - I have never needed to alter the seat on the Jazz.
I have been thinking I was imaging my was going down. so maybe it has been then

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

I feel the same way, Jazz is much easier to get in out particularly on a slope. My Fiesta was a really low seating position and it was becoming real slog to get and out the car. In its way with the high seating position the Jazz has some of the attributes of a SUV.

guest7677

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
Just over three weeks down the line I am starting to appreciate the beast. Roadholding is about the best I have experienced, and that is in a driving career that spans well over forty years. Okay, it might not be exactly overpowered, but I was aware of that, and the gearbox is very crisp and positive. And, once you get used to (and are able to ignore to some extent), the parking sensors, maneuvering is also relatively easy.

There are still some bugbears, most of which might not come up on test drives. I don't get keyless entry, it seems an unnecessary complication with potential defects that vastly outweigh any benefit. On that front, such a mass of tech is offered, much of which can be poorly explained in the owner's manual; frankly I have rather given up and only use the basic functions. Not a problem, but a better interface would be good and it is a shame to pay for stuff you don't use or understand. At the time of purchase, the dealer said to come back after a week and they would run through everything in detail - I made an appointment which they promptly canceled, telling me to put my questions in writing instead and they would respond without any need for me to attend. Appreciated the offer, but some things are best demonstrated and it is far easier to ask a question of a person sitting next to you.

Besides some of the gadgets are definitely of doubtful use - I get the city breaking but on two occasions in the 500 or so miles I have so far covered another has appeared twice which is definitely not an asset. The first time was when a car in a side road edged slightly too far into my path, and another when someone left it too late overtaking an oncoming vehicle. On both occasions I was distracted by a loud warning buzzer and a flashing light on the dashboard - things I could have done without while in the midst of coping with an emergency. Okay, I get that it was trying to warn of the danger but, had I been asleep, the first place I would have looked was at the dashboard. I guess it is something you get used to after a while. Maybe this can this be turned off, but city breaking retained?

The final problem I really should have noticed on the test drive. There is a blind spot on the front A-pillars which is dangerous. I'm not excessively tall (6.1), but still have to have the seat back to some extent (still can't get squab support for this, by the way), and this probably makes it worse with an impression that is rather like looking through an admittedly large letterbox. Consequently, when at junctions, it is easy to lose traffic approaching from the left, and equally so to miss oncoming cars on the right when driving through bends. Doubt that there is anything that can be done, but it is a new one on me, and disappointing in a car that has been so well designed in other areas.

I'm sticking with it, primarily because my wife is totally enamored and we no longer need two cars. The bad points are mainly made up for by good and there are many clever features. However, I don't think I will ever feel entirely happy behind the wheel and rather think this will not be a long-term keeper. Which is a shame, as we paid out for advanced servicing and extended guarantee - but as the French say Che Guevara!   :))

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
On the tech side of things I can sympathise but this is now the case on most modern cars. I'm just wondering if we are not in some sort of halfway house between the current driver controlled vehicles and the increasingly autonomous vehicles of the future. In my case there is also an age thing. I don't see myself as a complete luddite but, in many areas of life now, there is an assumption of knowledge. I've just bought a new Blu Ray player and the instruction leaflet is sparse to say the least. It is silent on the settings for the screen (16:9 or 4:3) and I've had to work that out for myself.

I nearly soiled myself the other day when the lane departure warning went off! Fortunately this is one feature you can disable.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
I've just bought a new Blu Ray player and the instruction leaflet is sparse to say the least. It is silent on the settings for the screen (16:9 or 4:3) and I've had to work that out for myself.

I doesn't help that instructions are printed in 28 different languages either, and when you find the 'EN' or 'GB' bit there are just a few lines in the smallest print they can find (same size as 'terms and conditions' are printed LOL.

On the tech side of things I can sympathise but this is now the case on most modern cars. I'm just wondering if we are not in some sort of halfway house between the current driver controlled vehicles and the increasingly autonomous vehicles of the future.

It seems as though carmakers are realising that there can be no 'halfway house' between normal and fully autonomous cars - it has to be either one thing or the other ( if fully autonomous cars ever arrive )

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170810/MOBILITY/170819994/as-cars-drive-themselves-human-driving-skills-may-suffer
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:57:43 AM by culzean »

Tags: