Author Topic: Milano Red  (Read 5694 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Milano Red
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »
I was out and about today and I saw an old red car, the bonnet and roof had faded to a light pink.  Years ago when red was a more popular colour this was not an uncommon site. So I was wondering if Milano Red could suffer the same deterioration or has paint technology improved over the years.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Milano Red
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »
I was out and about today and I saw an old red car, the bonnet and roof had faded to a light pink.  Years ago when red was a more popular colour this was not an uncommon site. So I was wondering if Milano Red could suffer the same deterioration or has paint technology improved over the years.

The problem seems to be that Red paint reflects red because it absorbs the higher energy wavelengths towards bluer / UV end of spectrum and that causes damage to paint (UV also damages your skin pretty good),  other colours reflect these wavelengths to a greater extent.  Sometimes metallic reds survive better because the mica flakes or whatever in the paint reflect some of the damaging rays (but not all of them because it would not appear red otherwise),  A good clearcoat can maybe help as well.   Sometimes paint on plastic parts like bumpers fades quicker for whatever reasons.   I think solid red would be more likely to fade than a metallic red.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Not seen a faded Milano Jazz in UK, the one we had was 8 years old when we sold it looked spot on and got a good price.
One of problems red was from Vauxhall in the 1980's you could buff them up for a while but the depth of colour was shot.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
When we were choosing our colour, the salesman reckoned that for Milano red, you should also have the protective coating to stop fading.  This reduced the price differential with metallic colours which he said do not need the extra protection.  We went for metallic blue because our next door neighbour had Milano red!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:48:59 PM by Downsizer »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
Must admit I haven't seen many faded Milano Red Hondas. Correction - I haven't seen any faded Milano Red Hondas. I love the Milano Red - I think it's one of the best reds around but SWMBO doesn't like red cars!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »
We saw a Milano red sport model on the road this morning. Either it was very dirty or Honda have made the colour a much darker red. I was considering red for my next Jazz (sport) but Mrs Deeps was not impressed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:02:10 PM by Deeps »

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
Milano Red does change its apparent shade according to ambient lighting conditions. In the shade (or if dirty) it does look quite dark. In brighter light it looks noticeably lighter whilst in sunshine it positively bursts into life with an almost orange tint.

Although it is a no-cost option, apparently it's technology is quite complex, the  base coat, top coat and clear coat all contributing to the final perceived appearance.  Where there is no clearcoat, such as inside the door shuts, the colour looks positively pink.

I have seen one or two red GDs which had faded panels, but these may have been  areas which had been re-sprayed rather than factory paintwork.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:04:00 PM by JazzandJag »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
My current Jazz is orange, that also varies in colour depending on the ambient light and the amount of road dirt.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
Re: Milano Red Protection
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
The first thing I did was give my new Milano Red Car a coat of one of the high tech Polishes on the market. Its supposed to seal the paint to last for a year, the paint does feel very smooth to the touch. Have a look into Car Plan No1 Super Gloss.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
The first thing I did was give my new Milano Red Car a coat of one of the high tech Polishes on the market. Its supposed to seal the paint to last for a year, the paint does feel very smooth to the touch. Have a look into Car Plan No1 Super Gloss.

I have used it on my Jazz, good stuff! I applied it before the winter set in and water is still beading and the snow slid off easily.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »

I have used it on my Jazz, good stuff! I applied it before the winter set in and water is still beading and the snow slid off easily.

I also used it on my alloy wheels, it seems bit easier to clean them now. The water really does bead and seems to run off the car making it easier to dry with a micro fibre cloth.

guest7675

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
When i get a new car i give it a waterless wash with greased lightning that has wax in and the people who looked at my car ask what do you use to get that shine now some friends have decided to try it i really love it and no i have nothing to do with the company.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:48:41 PM »
As I said above I coated my Orange 1.3 with Car Plan No 1, my Skyride Blue 1.5 already has a coat of it. I have read that it can be used as a drying aid with good results.

guest7675

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
Hey deeps i see there is a williams waterless wash but have not tried that due to having good supply of greased lightning.

guest7675

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
The dealer tells me the white pearlessent looks good and is not too bad in winter showing dirt thats strange as a friend has a toyota iq in that white and she told me it is ok when dirty.

Tags: