Author Topic: Good tech Bad tech.  (Read 3315 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Good tech Bad tech.
« on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
In this forum and many many others, the issue of technology in cars is a matter of hot debate. When I traded in my 2013 Jazz 1.4 EX and got a great price for it, the dealer said the Mk2 was in demand because people were hanging on to their cars and others wanted a relatively tech free car. I have thought about this and have decided this is my good tech/bad tech list. Feel free to add your own gripes etc.

Good Tech:

1) Satellite navigation - don't use mine much but it's a godsend especially at the end of a journey where you want to get to a specific address.
2) ABS braking - huge step forward in safety.
3) Adaptive cruise control. I don't have this but have driven a car with it. Great development as it adds safety to the ability to rest your right leg from time to time on long journeys.

Bad Tech:

1) Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems. The idea is fine but they are unreliable. The problem is so widespread that you can purchase after market devices to defeat the things. The mere fact that a market has grown to provide people relief from this unreliable technology speaks for itself.
2) Touch/Infotainment screens. I don't see how these improve the driving experience and, indeed, the ability to do all sorts of "stuff" on these when you should be concentrating on the road ahead is a safety hazard.
3) Automatic Headlights. They come on when unnecessary and sometimes don't come on when they should. A cause of frequent complaints.

I'm sure there will be much debate/disagreement and further suggestions.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Good tech Bad tech.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
From someone who has been driving for 50 years:
Good tech.
Fuel Injection
Electronic ignition
Disc brakes
Servo assisted brakes
Radial ply tyres

Bad tech.
Get you home spare wheels
Goo and no spare wheel
Catalytic converter (I know they serve a great purpose but are a PITA)
Front fog lights (very rare on old cars and usually wired to come on in place of the headlights)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
Good tech

Front disc brakes
Electric steering
Long life coolant
Cam chains
Individual coil packs for ignition
Variable valve timing
Micro vee accessory drive belts
LED lights

Bad tech

Rear disc brakes that need so much attention
Infotainment screens that distract drivers
Auto wipers
Auto lights
Climate control that does silly things
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
Bad tech

Rear disc brakes that need so much attention

I have never ever had rear discs that needed attention, other than one warped disc (out of balance disc) on one car. It must be a Jazz (with alloy wheels) thing.

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
My rear discs have done nearly 20000 miles and still bright and shiny. No grooves just a very slight lip on the edge.
I am still of the opinion that as I reverse into my drive, the brakes get a chance to operate in reverse thus cleaning off any collected crud.
I also have no problem with the handbrake holding.
As to good tech bad tech: I have been driving an 18 plate Ford and I am a little bemused ( absolutely terrified) of start stop. Keyless entry and starting ( luckily my EX Ishift has conditioned me to foot on brake to do anything) There is no jack nor spare wheel. A great big tv screen which does everything except boil a kettle and gongs that ring when ever you transgress any of the system.
This am on a BBC feature, a bit regarding keyless entry and starting. Many people in the states have died of carbon monoxide poisoning because they forgot to switch the engine off.  Ford did introduce a safety device to switch the engine off after 30mins if the car was not driven. The first day, I drove the Ford, I stopped the engine but did not turn the ignition off. I opened the door to a very loud chime.  As Jocko says give us straightfoward vehicle without all the silly bits that are there to attract the many. Completely off as subject over 50% have gone over to DAB radio it might well be that FM will be phased out. I looked at some DAB radios, why do you need a USB port on an alarmclock radio? yet another gee gaw. Yes I am a luddite!!!!!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
This am on a BBC feature, a bit regarding keyless entry and starting. Many people in the states have died of carbon monoxide poisoning because they forgot to switch the engine off.  Ford did introduce a safety device to switch the engine off after 30mins if the car was not driven. The first day, I drove the Ford, I stopped the engine but did not turn the ignition off. I opened the door to a very loud chime.
Didn't quite understand this, so I went looking for the source. It's here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44124546

Re this:
... why do you need a USB port on an alarmclock radio?
Many people find it convenient to charge their phone overnight using a handy USB socket, others want to play music stored on a USB stick as their wake-up call.

guest7504

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
Good tech:-
1) long life oils
2) disc brakes
3) tyre pressure monitor
4) high level brake lights (even if they are annoying in traffic!)
5) day time running lights

Bad tech:-
1) touch sensitive heater controls on latest Jazz, you cant find them without looking away from the road!
2) sloping tailgates that give negligible shelter when loading shopping or changing shoes (it rains a lot here in NI  ::))
3) any tech that isn't intuitive to use, current Jazz has manuals over an inch thick!

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
Good Tech:

1. Reversing and front Sensors
2. Reversing Rear View Camera
3. ABS Brakes
4. Traction control and vehicle stability assist.
5. City Brake Active System
6. Forward collision Warning

Bad Tech:

1. Rain sensing windscreen wipers
2. Auto dipping headlights
3. Touch screen requesters every time you start the engine
4. Nav locked when moving, passenger unable to amend destination
5. Nav, no speed camera alerts as delivered

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
Good tech-
Rust protection
Reliability
Long service interval
Honda engines you can rev all day long
Full size spare wheels
WD40

Bad tech-
Stuff you can't take apart and put grease on.
Nanny state electronics that beep at you all the time.
Not having full size spare.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »
My rear discs have done nearly 20000 miles and still bright and shiny. No grooves just a very slight lip on the edge.
I am still of the opinion that as I reverse into my drive, the brakes get a chance to operate in reverse thus cleaning off any collected crud.
I also have no problem with the handbrake holding.

Completely off as subject over 50% have gone over to DAB radio it might well be that FM will be phased out. I looked at some DAB radios, why do you need a USB port on an alarmclock radio? yet another gee gaw. Yes I am a luddite!!!!!

Rear drum brakes on previous cars have lasted at least 100,000 miles before any attention required and then only replacement of shoes, insides were pristine except for some brake dust.  Also never had to replace a drum. I used to lock the rear wheels on a dry road while moving with Civic handbrake.  ( I notice Ford still use rear drums on Fiesta and Focus, and SEAT as well).

We have had 2 DAB digital 'portable' radios at home for years now and hardly use them as FM quality is much better (you really notice it on music) this country went for standard DAB and tried to cram as many stations into available bandwidth as possible - most of rest of world went for DAB+ which is better.  Also both radios have large quantities of 'C' size batteries (1 has 8 and the Roberts has 6) which only last for a few hours listening (my wifes Sony AM/FM radio has 3x AA batteries that last for months used for an hour a day),  I know the DAB radios are drawing serious power because the plug-in power supplies get seriously hot, and the reason they are not portable is that the literally eat 'C' size alkaline batteries.

https://www.digitalradiochoice.com/questions/what-is-dab-plus/

If you get DAB make sure it can receive DAB+ (DAB plus), but a decent FM receiver will still knock spots off it if you like music.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:16:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »
Good tech-

WD40

Not as a lubricant I hope  :o

WD40 caused so many maintenance problems at one company I worked for it was banned from site.
Problem is it dissolves and washes out any existing lubricant and replaces it with a non-lubricant that
dries to a sticky / varnish like coating that attracts dirt like a dirt magnet.  WD do make lubricants but 'WD40' is not one of them.  It is a Water Dispersant (it is OK as a cleaner for getting tar and sticky things off paint though, and will sort of prevent things rusting there are much better things on the market for that like ATF50 )

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »
Good tech-

WD40

WD40 caused so many maintenance problems at one company I worked for it was banned from site.
Problem is it dissolves and washes out any existing lubricant and replaces it with a non-lubricant that
dries to a sticky / varnish like coating that attracts dirt like a dirt magnet.  WD do make lubricants but 'WD40' is not one of them.  It is a Water Dispersant (it is OK as a cleaner for getting tar and sticky things off paint though, and will sort of prevent things rusting there are much better things on the market for that like ATF50 )

This is interesting. Somebody advised me to use WD40 for lubricating locks on UPVC Patio doors and the like. I'm sure it works for a little while but then the situation reverts to being even worse than when you started. This would make sense.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »
This is interesting. Somebody advised me to use WD40 for lubricating locks on UPVC Patio doors and the like. I'm sure it works for a little while but then the situation reverts to being even worse than when you started. This would make sense.

That's because WD40 contains lots of volatile oils which act as a lovely lubricant, but which then evaporate quickly leaving behind a nasty goo residue.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
I use Graphite Powder for locks. Just a smidge on the key does the trick.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
Good tech-

WD40

I use a good quality PTFE based lubricant for locks (3in1 high performance lubricant or similar) which leaves a layer of PTFE (Teflon) on parts.  I used it on the padlock on our side gate (exposed and out in all weathers ) about 5 years ago and it has been perfect ever since.  You really don't want to use lubricants that dry out on locks as they tend to stick the pins and levers into place,  which WD40 does a fine job of work on when solvents evaporate.  The reason WD40 got banned at my former company was that it freed things up for a couple of days but then stuck them together worse than before, and attracted dirt.

Tags: