Author Topic: Honda Jazz likely to get new 1.0-litre turbo petrol power  (Read 32860 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Honda Jazz likely to get new 1.0-litre turbo petrol power
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
Read this the other day, should be good as long as they get the gearing right.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »
Good news but would the Jazz use the 127bhp version or would it be turned down a bit to,say, 110bhp?

Vic.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
It does not matter what is under the bonnet, it still takes the same amount of fuel to do the job of moving the car, more low down torque used = more fuel used.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
It does not matter what is under the bonnet, it still takes the same amount of fuel to do the job of moving the car, more low down torque used = more fuel used.

Can't agree with that Deeps ! Engine efficiency comes into it somewhere!

If the 1 litre turbo is more efficient it will take less fuel.

Like you I expect, as a very recent purchaser of a new Mk3, I shall be a bit disappointed if the 1 litre turbo is available soon!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
As I have said before, one reason I bought the car was long term reliability, after 30 odd years of diesel ownership I want long term reliability. Not boy racer turbo boosted traffic light take offs with a highly stressed engine. The current engine is plenty powerful enough if you know how and when to use it. Honda engines are some of the best around, they just have the majority of their power at the top half of the rev range. It is a choice whether you use it or not.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
As I have said before, one reason I bought the car was long term reliability, after 30 odd years of diesel ownership I want long term reliability. Not boy racer turbo boosted traffic light take offs with a highly stressed engine. The current engine is plenty powerful enough if you know how and when to use it. Honda engines are some of the best around, they just have the majority of their power at the top half of the rev range. It is a choice whether you use it or not.

I agree with that. The Mk 3 has plenty of power and I would not want to sacrifice any reliability for more power. But I would trust Honda not to introduce a less reliable engine, especially given its worldwide pedigree.

Just because it is a turbo doesn't mean it has to be driven like a boy racer. As you said, it is a choice whether you use the power or not.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
Aye right. Easily accessible power is addictive. I have grown out of turbo diesels now that I am a geriatric boy racer. :-)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
Likely I will order a mk3 before the end of the year. I strongly hope that the 1.0t will be avaiable... If you run calmly, it will drink moreorless this 1.3, but if you push the right pedal it will run like a good 1.8 naturally aspirated.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
I don't think it will be available in 2016.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
Yes, I'think so...
I strongly hope, but I know it's quite impossible...

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »
...... but if you push the right pedal it will run like a good 1.8 naturally aspirated.

And drink fuel like one.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/33148/i-cant-meet-official-fuel-economy-in-a-focus-ecoboost
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:37:09 AM by Deeps »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
Usually, a modern 1.2 turbocharged petrol engine can run like a good 1.6-1.8 Naturally Aspirated old engine (with a similiar conspumption), but driving normally it will consume like a 1.3-1.4 N.A.
IMHO an engine that can run normally with a low consumption but can also run fast (even if with an high consumption) is a good engine, better than engines with a low consumption but also with low power and torque.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
I would like to know where these incredible mpg figures come from and how they are allowed to claim them. BMW i8 and Misubishi PHEV can both claim 135mpg + but after 15 to 20 miles when battery is flat the consumption is no better than 30mpg. Same with small turbo, if you use the power you burn the fuel (still can't get away from 14:1 air / fuel mix). Turbo will give more torque at lower revs, and help reduce pumping losses, but you 'don't get owt for nowt'

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
I would like to know where these incredible mpg figures come from and how they are allowed to claim them. BMW i8 and Misubishi PHEV can both claim 135mpg
Blame the rather short official test cycle.  The US figures are more representative from a more thorough test procedure especially if you ignore the gallon conversion factor.

Hybrid emissions are not measured at an MOT either, just because it's operating mode can't always be predetermined.

My northern next door neighbour has an i8 and several of my London neighbours have plug-ins in our garage - none of them are ever hooked up.  It must be the tax advantages that appeal.

Facelift Mk3 might get the new engine, hoping that we'll get the 1.5 iVTEC + i-DCD hybrid gearbox that's just been put in the Jazz's cousin the Freed, and the Japanese version of the Honda Jade (110kW & 203 Nm), but I don't think that Swindon is making this engine/gearbox right now.
--
TG

Tags: news jazz 

anything