Author Topic: Honda's new generation of VTEC turbo engines  (Read 27178 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda's new generation of VTEC turbo engines
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »

Honda has announced three new turbo-charged VTEC petrol engines - two of which may find their way into the next Jazz.

The new direct injected engines come in 1-litre, 1.5-litre or 2.0-litre forms and are the latest additions to Honda's Earth Dreams Technology range. The three cylinder 1-litre engine is capable of producing 105bhp and may power the next Jazz along with the four cylinder 1.5-litre engine, although the exact engines choices and power outputs are yet to be confirmed. Both the smaller engines feature low friction to aid efficiency.

The 2-litre is of course scheduled for the 2015 Civic Type R and promises over 280bhp to take on the VW Golf GTi Mk7 and RenaultSport Megane.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/all-new-range-turbocharged-honda-vtec-engines-revealed
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/tokyo-motor-show-2013-honda-beat-s660-concept

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:00:47 PM by RichardA »

guest4078

Re: Honda's new generation of VTEC turbo engines
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
The McLaren Jazz with a detuned F1 1.6 turbo v6 and KERS will be worth waiting for!

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

I can't believe that!  280 Ponies from 2 litre  :o   Sounds like fun!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »

Honda get 240 BHP from a non turbo 2 litre engine in the S2000 - and as reliable as a Swiss watch as well.  Honda get power from engines by clever design and engineering, other people just strap a turbo or supercharger on to a mediocre engine to raise the specific BHP
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »

Honda get 240 BHP from a non turbo 2 litre engine in the S2000 - and as reliable as a Swiss watch as well.  Honda get power from engines by clever design and engineering, other people just strap a turbo or supercharger on to a mediocre engine to raise the specific BHP

Of course. I am a fanboi myself.  There have been 5 Honda here from pop up light Aerodeck through to Prelude. I have had 6 Honda Outboard motors  3 Honda motorbikes and I even have a Honda engine lawnmower  ;D\

guest2040

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
I wonder if the 2015 Jazz will get the 1.5 litre engine in the uk

guest3418

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
The turbo engines will make the cars more driveable for most people without having to rev the nuts of the engine. I for one love engines which deliver large amounts of torque at low revs so you can drive them without a lot of gearchanges.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
turbo makes the car less reliable which will hurt hondas reputation if they start to fail and who would want a 3 cylinder engine

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
The turbo engines will make the cars more driveable for most people without having to rev the nuts of the engine. I for one love engines which deliver large amounts of torque at low revs so you can drive them without a lot of gearchanges.

most manufacturers bolt on a Turbo because they can't design an engine properly.  If you want an engine with low down torque get a diesel, if you want a great engine with proven bullet-proof reliability get a Honda VTEC - (non-turbo) and every 3 cylinder engine (motorbike or car) I have driven feels like a 4 cylinder with one cylinder not working................. :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
I just love turbo engines. Lots of torque. Anything that need 6,000 rpm for full power in unusable in the real world.

Turbo diesels easily cover 200k miles plus.
And well maintained petrols as well.

It's just the badly designed turbos or the owners who use cheap oil or no oil changes at all who cause the problems.. Like the woman whose new Audi  A4tdi had a flashing oil warning light . She had never checked the oil in 17k miles from new.  It took 4 liters.. when I refilled it for her..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »
I just love turbo engines. Lots of torque. Anything that need 6,000 rpm for full power in unusable in the real world.

try telling any S2000 , Civic Type R, or 1.8 I-VTEC owner the above,  and quite rightly they would probably laugh at you - 8000 rpm in the Civic R is an adrenaline rush of sound, 9000rpm  in S2000 is heaven and even the normal 1.8 i-VTEC (can you call any Honda engine normal ?) is beautiful sound at 7000 rpm - nothing unusable about the power in any of these cars  :D - - - - boring grey and beige people drive diesels  :-X

guest3418

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
High revving engines are nice but useless for day to day driving and sitting in traffic jams and when you need to pull something every now and then I prefer low end torque. I have driven quite a few downsized turbo engines and most of them are very good. The 1.2 tce from Renault, VW 1.2 and 1.4 TSI and Ford 1.0 Ecoboost are all great engines which deliver a lot of low end torque. People will certainly start to complain that these engines are no good but the fact is that all manufacturers have problems every now and then. Our Honda dealer has acknowledged that it is very common for i-DSI engines to develop pistonslap once past 80.000km because of Honda using wrong tolerances during production (these were the exact words used by the dealer).

guest2040

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »

try telling any S2000 , Civic Type R, or 1.8 I-VTEC owner the above,  and quite rightly they would probably laugh at you - 8000 rpm in the Civic R is an adrenaline rush of sound, 9000rpm  in S2000 is heaven and even the normal 1.8 i-VTEC (can you call any Honda engine normal ?) is beautiful sound at 7000 rpm - nothing unusable about the power in any of these cars  :D - - - - boring grey and beige people drive diesels  :-X

They are sports cars, well different from the Jazz. I would love a Honda engine with a turbo just
 for the drivability. but if the 1.5 litre non turbo engine was available in the UK, I think it would be the best of
 both worlds.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
problem with turbo engines is that if you treat them like a 'normal' engine and when you stop the car you turn ignition off straight away you can wreck the turbo, you have to keep engine ticking over and let turbo spool down and cool down for a while - how may people are gonna remember to do that every time, eg. -   when the kids are in the back bouncing around.

also lots of people out there really disappointed with mpg they are getting from ecoboost engines
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:33:50 PM by culzean »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »
I would have expected that the turbo would be by-passed under low power conditions such as normal town driving otherwise fuel-saving autostop wouldn't get much opportunity to work.

A small engine with turbo would make a sensible power unit for the hybrid because the electric motor would boost the low revs torque while the turbo would boost the maximum power output. I would be interested in a smaller engine if it also warms up faster and reduces the fuel efficiency hit associated with short trips.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: jazz news 

anything