Author Topic: Facelifted 2012 Honda Jazz - all you need to know  (Read 43488 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Facelifted 2012 Honda Jazz - all you need to know
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

The Jazz has been revised for 2012 with the introduced of the hybrid model and the return of CVT automatic transmission to replace the divisive i-SHIFT transmission.

On sale from 1 February 2011 with the following changes:

- Redesigned front and rear bumpers for improved aerodynamics
- New headlights
- First-in-class hybrid model with CO2 emissions of 104 g/km
- CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) is back after 'overwhelming customer demand' to replace unloved I-SHIFT
- Uprated suspension for improved ride and handling
- Improved cabin materials
- Leather trim option
- Reduced CO2 emission figures and improved fuel consumption
- Prices from £11,295 OTR (1.2 S)
- Hybrid prices from £15,995 for the HE trim level

CVT - offered on the previous GD Jazz from 2002 to 2008 - will be welcomed back by owners frustrated with the I-SHIFT transmission offered since launch of the GE Jazz in 2008. Judging by the comments made in our forums about I-SHIFT, we doubt it will be missed; and we can't help but wonder if the comments made on this site have been noted by Honda. ;)

But there is some bad news; the cheapest hybrid is a fiver short of £16,000 and is barely cheaper than the entry-level Insight. Worse still, the Jazz hybrid can't match the Insight's 101 g/km CO2 emissions. In a sector where diesels make little sense due to the price differential over petrol, we wonder if the main beneficiaries of the hybrid will be the environmental aware rather than those looking for overall lower motoring bills.

And perhaps the worst news is that yet again Honda has passed up the opportunity to offer UK buyers' the 1.5-litre i-VTEC engine as offered in South African Jazz's rolling off the same Swindon production line. Maybe next time Honda?

Honda Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 29 Nov 2010
HONDA JAZZ REFRESH MAKES POPULAR SUPERMINI EVEN BETTER

Prices announced for new 2011 range - including Hybrid model

- New, fresh face
- CVT gearbox is back
- Suspension improvements refine ride and improve handling
- Addition of leather upholstery
- Improvement in CO2 emissions and fuel consumption
- Prices start from £11,295 OTR for the Jazz 1.2 S model
- Prices for the Jazz Hybrid start from £15,995 OTR for the HE trim level

The popular Honda Jazz has been given a refresh, with a range of enhancements to both looks and driving dynamics. The revised Jazz range, which will include a hybrid model, goes on sale in the UK on 1 February 2011, with prices starting from £11,295 for the 1.2 S model and £15,995 for the Hybrid variant in HE trim.

The challenge for Honda’s engineers was to freshen and improve the car without compromising on the characteristics that make the Jazz so popular. But by enhancing the car’s strongest qualities, Honda has taken the Jazz on to the next stage, producing a car with greater flexibility, better looks, increased ride comfort and improved eco credentials.

While the revised car is just as cleverly packaged, fresh styling gives the Jazz a new appearance. New front and rear bumpers are the main parts to have influenced the look of the car. These have also been designed to reduce drag as the airflow passes over the Jazz’s body and to avoid turbulence when the airflow detaches from the rear. These styling improvements aid aerodynamic efficiency on all Jazz models helping the Cd figure to fall from 0.336 to 0.330.

Welcome back CVT
Constantly variable transmission, more commonly known as ‘CVT’, first appeared in the previous Jazz range and due to overwhelming customer demand Honda has brought it back along with a few clever improvements.

The CVT is an automatic transmission that keeps the engine in a rev range where the car is most efficient. As well as ensuring the whole power train of the Jazz is more efficient, it also offers the driver a smooth and effortless journey.

The CVT transmission is a standard feature on the Hybrid while it is available as an option on 1.4 litre petrol models, where, thanks to the improvements, it now matches the economy and emissions of the outgoing Jazz i-SHIFT, with a CO2 value starting at just 125g/km.

High specification and flexible cabin

Leather upholstery makes a very welcome appearance for the first time in the Jazz range. Along with the addition of chrome rings defining the air vents, instruments and climate controls across the dashboard, the leather trim gives a whole new premium feeling to the interior of the car and is an important option for customers downsizing from larger vehicles from other sectors. Leather seats are standard on the Jazz Hybrid in HX trim and available as a £1,250 option on the 1.4-litre petrol EX model.

Another change across the range is a new darker dashboard material which contrasts strongly with the orange and blue back lighting of the dials, gauges and displays across the dashboard. The orange backlighting colour is unique to the petrol powered variants, while the Hybrid version uses the blue lighting to differentiate the model from the rest of the range. 

The Magic Seats, famed for their flexibility and multiple seating and cargo-carrying configurations – are now even better with the addition of a reclining rear seat. The rear seats can now recline 73mms to increase rear passenger comfort.

Engine range expands with the introduction of hybrid technology
The established 1.2-litre and best-selling 1.4-litre i-VTEC petrol engines remain in the Jazz range and to compliment the launch of the Hybrid variant, these two petrol engines have benefited from some small reductions in CO2 values and improved fuel economy. The 1.4-litre manual variant with manual transmission has emissions starting at 126 g/km down from 128 g/km and uses 51.4mpg on the combined cycle. The fuel sipping 1.2 litre engine uses 53.3mpg and also drops two grams of CO2 to 123g/km.

The Jazz Hybrid is an ultra-efficient car with a combined fuel consumption figure of 62.8 mpg – and with the same super-smooth electric system as the Insight, even more fuel is saved around town. While a CO2 output of just 104g/km makes the Jazz Hybrid the lowest of any automatic car in the B-segment.

Improved ride comfort and handling
The suspension on the 2011 Jazz features revised settings to increase ride comfort and improve handling. Already well respected for its lightness and manoeuvrability around town, the Jazz benefits from improvements to steering feel at higher speeds. Thanks to this continuous improvement the revised model has a much firmer, positive steering feel as speeds increase to inspire a confident driving experience.

All Jazz models, including the Hybrid version, share new sleek, projector style headlights adding to the sportier look. There are four new colours available across the petrol range – Azure Blue, Polished Metal, Urban Titanium and Ionized Bronze. The Hybrid version also benefits from Azure Blue plus two new colours – a vibrant Lime Green Metallic and Taffeta White.

Prices

1.2 S   £11,295
1.2 S A/C   £11,995
1.4 ES   £13,495
1.4 ES CVT   £14,495
1.4 EX   £14,995
1.4 EX CVT   £15,995
Hybrid HE   £15,995
Hybrid HS   £16,495
Hybrid HX   £17,995

Standard Features (added February 14, 2011)

1.2 S:
    * 1.2 litre 90ps
    * 15" steel wheels
    * Electric front windows
    * Electric heated door mirrors
    * Keyless entry
    * CD stereo tuner with RDS & MP3 compatibility
    * AUX socket
    * Tilt and telescopic steering
    * Dual front / side / curtain airbags with passenger airbag deactivation
    * Active front head restraints
    * Magic seats with reclining rear seat
    * Passenger seat back pocket
    * Driver seat height adjustment
    * Rear centre headrest
    * Jack knife key
    * 1.2 S A/C - as above plus manual air conditioning (price from £11,995 OTR)

1.4 ES - as 1.2 S, plus:

* 1.4 litre 99ps engine
    * 15" alloy wheels
    * Auto Climate Control air conditioning
    * Electric rear windows
    * Body coloured door mirrors
    * Electric retractable mirrors with integrated indicators
    * USB socket
    * Steering wheel audio controls
    * 2 tier boot
    * Cooled glove box
    * Available with CVT

1.4 EX - as 1.4 ES, plus:

* 16" alloy wheels
    * Panoramic glass roof
    * Cruise control
    * Leather steering wheel
    * Privacy glass
    * Front fog lights
    * Bluetooth Hands Free Telephone
    * Auto lights
    * Auto wipers
    * Drivers seat armrest
    * Optional leather upholstery with heated front seats

T-Grade models - avaliable at extra cost on all grades adds the following:
    * Integrated satellite navigation with Traffic Message Channel and Bluetooth hands-free phone system.
    * USB port in place of AUX-in.

Exterior Colours

* Crystal Black (Pearlescent)
    * Sapphire Blue (Pearlescent)
    * Alabaster Silver (Metallic)
    * Milano Red
    * Azure Blue (Metallic)
    * Polished Metal (Metallic)
    * Urban Titanium (Metallic)
    * Ionized Bronze (Metallic)

Metallic or pearlescent paint +£440.

Hybrid Standard Features

1.3 IMA CVT HE:

* CVT
    * 15" steel wheels
    * Unique Hybrid body trim
    * Auto Climate Control
    * Privacy glass
    * Body coloured door handles and mirrors
    * Electric front and rear windows
    * Electric heated door mirrors
    * Keyless entry
    * CD stereo tuner with RDS & MP3 compatibility
    * AUX socket
    * Tilt and telescopic steering

HS - as HE, plus:

* 15" alloy wheels
    * Cruise Control
    * Front fog lights
    * Electric retractable mirrors with integrated indicators
    * Perimeter alarm
    * USB socket
    * Steering wheel audio controls
    * Auto lights
    * Auto wipers
    * Leather steering wheel
    * Driver seat armrest

HX - as HS, plus:

* Leather upholstery
    * Heated front seats

T-Grade models available as per non-hybrid Jazz.

Exterior Colours:

* Crystal Black (Pearlescent)
    * Taffeta White
    * Azure Blue (Metallic)
    * Storm Silver (Metallic)
    * Fresh Lime (Metallic)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:13:50 PM by RichardA »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Prices Announced for 2011 Honda Jazz
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
Now we know why the 2008 GE has the silly flaps on the parcel shelf - they are to allow the rear seats to recline in the 2011 model!

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
CVT is back, good, however, too late for me, nice new Golf sitting on the drive.  :D

Even after the rumours started about the possible return of CVT the dealers were (up until very recently) insisting that it wasn't true and that Honda were commited to the dreadful i-shift, as such I went ahead and spent my £22k on a nice Golf.

I don't think I'll return to the Honda brand as they and their dealers are far too far up themselves, if you get my drift.  ::)

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
Berisford: did you get a manual or DSG Golf? And if it's DSG, how does it compare with I-SHIFT? I've heard some applications of DSG in VAG cars suffer from the same problems as I-SHIFT, namely changing up too early in the name of headline MPG and CO2 figures.

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »
Richard, I bought the 7 speed DSG with a 1.6 diesel and yes, after a period of 'pottering' it can be a bit eager to change up on light throttle but it happily changes back down again when required. However, give it a bit of poke and the box 'learns' quite quickly to hang on a bit. The gear changes though are only seen (on the dash) and not felt as on the i-shift.

Despite what I said in my other post I'll be one of the first in the queue to test drive the new CVT Jazz, just to see what could have been!  :)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »

2010  1.4 ishift  ES spec              £13,840
2011 1.4 CVT    ES Spec              £14,495
ouch
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:55:19 AM by olduser1 »

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
Uprated suspension for improved ride and handling

;D Will Honda ever get this right?

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
/\ I do wonder how difficult it must be to tune the ride and handling to suit out roads! Ford seemed to get it spot on with the Fiesta while Honda fiddled with the GD's suspension settings at least twice during its lifespan!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:54:05 PM by RichardA »

guest1128

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »

2010  1.4 ishift  ES spec              £13,840
2011 1.4 CVT    ES Spec              £14,495
ouch

What ?

They stopped producing i-shift?

Is it jazz 1.4 CVT anymore like they have rumoured months ago ?

guest516

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »
no i-shift :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I'll just keep mine for ever ;D :)
Whatever ??  keep enjoying Jazz motoring 8)
Oui-oui

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
Still worth a test drive of the new model in Feb, but the competition is much improved since the 1st Jazz .
I wonder about Honda sales incentives in February, can you hear them thinking ? frozen roads / petrol u/l 125p litre / vat up / Government cuts may just be being felt/
Mmmm not a good time to launch a new model lets discount back to 2002 prices YES please

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
Improved cabin materials

Hurrah. But I would rather have the GD parcel shelf back than reclining rear seats.

I think the current GE interior is rubbish.

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
From Which ? car review a telling comment ££££££

The new Jazz range goes on sale in February with prices starting at £11,295 for the 1.2. The 1.4 CVT will sell at £14,495 and the Hybrid weighs in £1,500 more at £15,995.

This is around £600 more than a Polo Blue Motion 1.2 TDI, and over £1,200 more than a Mazda 2 diesel. Or choose yourself the Hyundai i20 1.4CDI Comfort and you could pocket nearly £4,000 in spare cash.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
Honda are in danger pricing themselves out of the small car market. Lower sales and more dealer closures. I don't think my Jazz 1.4Si was worth its list price. Without the incentives of a reasonable trade in on my old Jazz, a £1000 discount on the new plus 0% finance and 3 year complimentary servicing with road tax I wouldn't have bought especially as Honda cheapened the interior of the GE model. Hopefully they will have rectified the poor cabin materials with the 2011 model but it's still too expensive for my liking. After 8 years of being a happy Honda owner I think I will be looking elsewhere for my next car.

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »
A gripe of mine the Insight has just been reduced by £1k by Honda to £14995.00 so how does this segment now compare with the Jazz Hybrid at £15995.00.
Come on Honda get the pencil sharpener out and make the Jazz more competitive.

Tags: news jazz 

anything