Poll

If your Jazz suffers from CVT judder, please tells us what year the car was registered

11 (6%)
35 (19%)
25 (13.6%)
32 (17.4%)
35 (19%)
21 (11.4%)
25 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Mk1 CVT judder  (Read 245913 times)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
Re: Mk1 CVT judder
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
Many thanks, Richard, I will contact the dealer. Although a 2005 model, the car was sold to me with the benefit of a Honda twelve month warranty and I would hope any remedial work would be done under that warranty. Or am I being naive?

Peter in Devon

guest863

• Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
I have a 2005 Jazz auto 1.4. Like Fido I have have been noticing an increasing amount of 'judder' and a grinding noise as the car moved from a stationary position. This started about 2 months ago. Prior to that I have also been noticing that as the car was engaged from neutral to either drive or reverse, there was a pause before the car moved. This 'pause' became longer in time. After reading Fido's post I when to the dealer who booked the car.I had to ask for it to be done under warranty. (This was not offered to me as a recall. I has to ask), The car has just come back this afternoon and it drives as it was when new. No delay in engaging gears, no noise, no judder. I wonder what they have done!!!
However it came back with a list of several things wrong. Front bake pads are 90% worn (after 30,000miles) front disks need replacing, rear brake pads will need replacing soon and one of the ''bearings'' on the front suspension need replacing as there is excessive movement.
Otherwise I have had no trouble with the car.

:D

Fido

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 48mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+I-VTEC CVT
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
Just noticed these posts. I cannot believe how good our Jazz now is after my judder was sorted out. It really is handling as well as it has ever done.
The work was described as a CVT fluid flush.

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
Hi Fido

Thank you for your e-mail. I tried replying to you directly but I don't think the reply was sent. Just to keep you and everyone else up to date I am taking my car in tomorrow, Saturday, morning for a "diagnostic check" and would then expect to book it in for remedial work some time next week. I am hoping that all that will be required is a change of CVT fluid and that this will be done free of charge under the extended transmission warranty. I will report back next week how I get on.

Cheers

Peter in Devon

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 01:53:56 PM »
Hi

I took my car in Saturday morning to have it checked out for the dreaded judder and it is now booked in for next week. Apparently it needs to have a new start clutch fitted which the dealer is going to do [and, of course, replace the CVT fluid] under the warranty. It seems as if I have got a result there and I will write again next week and let you know how the car is after the work. Incidentally the dealer is Rowes Honda of Weston Mill, Plymouth who so far have been very helpful and efficient in both the purchase and now with this judder problem.

Peter in Devon

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
I have also noticed a delay when selecting Drive before it engages, but only when the engine / transmission is cold. I do not have any judder on my 56 reg 1.4 SE CVT.  Is it worth a trip to the dealer to get it checked?  A service is not due until November.

Does anyone know when Honda started using the CVT-F fluid on the production line, I wonder if it is already in my car.

Peter,
I also use Rowes Honda in Plymouth and so far I have only had to take my car in for servicing but I get a good impression.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »
If its under warranty then its worth them checking it out

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
Hi

I picked my car up from Rowes Honda last night after they had had it for two days to work on the CVT [for judder on take off]. It does seem to be OK now but I am glad the work was done under the warranty as the cost would have been horrendous if I had paid for it. The only thing now since I got it back, the 'one shot' function on the drivers window does not work. Certainly it winds up and down but only if you keep your finger on the button. I would guess that Rowes forgot to re-program it when they put the car back together and re-connected the battery. Anyone one know of a DIY fix for this or do I have to take it back to be connected to their computer?

Best wishes

Peter in Devon

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
To fix the window

1. Start the engine. Push down on the drivers window switch until the window is fully open.

2. Pull back on the drivers window switch to close the window completely and hold the switch for a further second.

This should sort it

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »
Jazzy B

Many thanks for the information. I just tried what you suggested and the window lifter works perfectly.

I'm off on holiday in the Jazz on Wednesday to Wales so this will be the first long trip. I'm really looking forward to it.

Peter in Devon

guest350

• Topic Starter
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
Hi

I picked my car up from Rowes Honda last night after they had had it for two days to work on the CVT [for judder on take off]. It does seem to be OK now but I am glad the work was done under the warranty as the cost would have been horrendous if I had paid for it.
Peter in Devon

Peter did the dealer say what the issue was with the CVT? I tired to post this question but I seems to have been logged to another thread.... Phil.

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »
Hi Phil

Sorry to have been so long replying but have only just got back from holiday. The part that the dealer replaced was, I believe, the 'starter clutch'. It makes sense that this is what could have caused the juddering as although the car is an automatic it must still have a clutch to stop the engine from stalling when you stop and patently it was this same clutch that was not taking up smoothly when starting off. I am glad to be able to report that the judder has now gone and. as another poster mentioned, the car seems much smoother and more responsive now.

On a more general note, Jazz performed well on our long motorway trips to Monmouthshire and gave us a comfortable, relaxed drive with a reported fuel consumption of 48 to 50 mpg for the journeys. Not bad for an automatic! The only discomfort we did feel was when we arrived back home the rather firm suspension showed up just how diabolically badly maintained the Devon roads are compared to other counties we have driven in.

Peter in Devon

guest805

• Topic Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:38 PM »
My 52 CVT went to the dealer this week with a few problems.
Firstly I had the box flushed out and this has cured the vibration when pulling away (1500-2000 revs ?)The next day I had  all the plugs changed to cure engine  vibration /pinking  when under acceleration. I originally thought that this was EGR as I had it replaced after 2-3 years and it felt like the same problem  returning again but they blanked it off and there was no difference .Now what is interesting is that the dealer did the CVT flush out/fluid change FOC  under warranty ?! I have had the car 7 yrs.Apparently this is  known issue and if I have understood this correctly, if this fails to   be a permanent fix , they will replace the start up clutch ,again FOC even when out of warranty ?!
I did have the flush out done before at another dealer in Dec 2007 but the problem had recently returned so maybe it has a limited effect .
I might add that on the first occassion I was actually charged about £150 for fluid and
labour , which is what I expected as it was out of warranty. but I think that I was ripped off if it should have been FOC and I am looking into this further.
Hope that this info will be of help

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »
Martin........only three weeks since major service.........solution.........take it back and complain like hell....... ;) joe

guest1250

• Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
I am just in middle of similar problem.Garage said it was gear oil needing changed £70 as well as EGR valve £250.Car had to be towed to garage yesterday valve changed today for them to phone and say problem still there.They phoned Honda technical dept. to be told that it was probably windscreen washer corroding plugs.My car will not be ready until Monday now and I am thoroughly pissed off.Why should I have to pay out all this money while they monkey around from one SOLUTION to the next. Help

Tags: