Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 770752 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2820 on: February 05, 2024, 09:52:18 AM »
There was a BMW EV advert on GHR radio yesterday

After all the hype and an almost 200 mile range statement ......

..... right at the end they quickly said something like 'The range quoted may not reflect normal driving conditions'

Yeah, right, we all know that

My friends original Jag i-pace, quoted 250 in his brochure is less than 150 in winter

"less than 150 in winter"  assuming a normal UK winter.
Zero at -40C is likely.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2821 on: February 05, 2024, 11:18:56 AM »

..... right at the end they quickly said something like 'The range quoted may not reflect normal driving conditions'

Yeah, right, we all know that

But there are still those who are seduced by adverts that show the car being casually plugged in to a very convenient charger in a virtually deserted city,  or on the spacious drive of a stylish house.    Or driving high up in remote   mountain regions in a  car " designed for the city , built for adventure" .  In my experience  even if the remotest  part is within the range of an EV  there is often also many miles  through villages where  even petrol stations are few and far between. I never commence such routes  without a nearly full petrol tank.  Charging points may be non existent, and  even if you found one  the extra  charging time may make driving the route take too long and inadvisable.        Even so EV's will  still  meet the needs of many. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2822 on: February 05, 2024, 02:52:43 PM »
BMW is ditching EVs and backing hydrogen engines https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/hydrogen-vehicles-bmw/8562742/

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2823 on: February 06, 2024, 12:36:30 PM »
BMW is ditching EVs and backing hydrogen engines https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/hydrogen-vehicles-bmw/8562742/
Reading the article, the headline is GROSSLY misleading..

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2824 on: February 07, 2024, 03:53:22 PM »
The UK Advertising Standards  Agency have ruled that EV makers  must stop claiming they are carbon neutral and net Zero   in their  adverts        Apparently the UK government also make this claim when its suits them to do so. Will the same standards of clarity and honesty  apply  ::) 

https://www.asa.org.uk/news/updated-environment-guidance-carbon-neutral-and-net-zero-claims-in-advertising.html
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2825 on: February 07, 2024, 03:55:46 PM »
Quite right

Producing various EV components is far from environmentally friendly, including claims of worker exploitation
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything