Author Topic: Ready for the winter  (Read 12135 times)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Ready for the winter
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
The last week of September i made the car's exterior ready for winter time. For people who want to protect their car extra for the winter but haven't done it yet... there still is time. :)

After a good pre-touchless wash with AW foam shampoo i washed the car with the 3 bucket method (shampoo, rinse, wheels), Carpro Reset shampoo and a microfibre wash pad. Then it was time to clay the car, followed by another wash, rinse and then dried with an extra soft microfibre towel. The last detail was in June, then the Jazz got a 2-stage polish job, therefore i only did a round cleanser polish now (D/A polisher, PBW Professional Polish, black finishing foam pad). Then after wiping down with C Eraser, the paint was as clean as possible and ready for the last step.

As last step product (LSP) i chose for Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax. FK 1000P is actually a sealant and with its durability up to 6 months and slick, almost self-cleaning finish, it makes a great LSP for the winter months. The paint got 2 layers with 3 days in between.
Windows were also polished with PB PP and the rear and side windows got a layer FK1000P, the windshield 2 layers Turte Wax Clearvue Rain Repellant. Wheels were only cleaned (they still wear FK1000P - yes, again, haha) and will be changed for the winter wheels somewhere this month. Rubber and plastics were cleaned with APC and then dressed with Finish Kare #350.

Not much images, but you get an idea, or not. ;)

Beading was nice.

Back in June i also removed the roof trim to give both the paint underneath as the trim a good clean and protection.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Ready for the winter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
I guess you could do both though ;D

I think I now know why your car looks so good Jazzway. I've just topped up the wax (Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax) - never clayed a car. I remain to be convinced about clay - after all we had shiny cars long before clay. Open to persuasion though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
I clay mine, but don't notice a great difference before and after. Even after the first time I did it.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »
Hi Jazzway, how can you remove the roof trims please?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
Although, when it comes to trade in time, a shiny well cared for exterior and interior will add value?

Saying that, the old boy across the road from me tells me he was an enthusiastic polisher and buffer back in the day but a bad back put paid to that. He now uses the hand wash at Tesco twice a month and I must admit his car always looks very smart. (He has got a 64 plate Civic - must be due a new one any day now!)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
In 1959 my dad had a 1939 Hillman Minx. It was black and shiny, and after 20 years the paint on the side of the bonnet had been rubbed through. It was right through the red primer coat, to the metal. The thing was, that metal never showed signs of rust. It shone like chrome!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
When I wash my car I use two buckets. Then after the car is washed I use the wash bucket for the wheels. Do you use a third bucket just to keep the bucket itself clean? I wash the bucket out after I am done.
I would love to be able to use a D/A polisher on my paintwork. I am sure it would make a huge difference, but I have no power, living in a top storey flat!

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
After a weekend in the sticks I scraped some of the mud off the wheel arches with my foot, it's not due a wash until April -
 hopefully get some rain before then.
--
TG

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
When I wash my car I use two buckets. Then after the car is washed I use the wash bucket for the wheels. Do you use a third bucket just to keep the bucket itself clean? I wash the bucket out after I am done.
I would love to be able to use a D/A polisher on my paintwork. I am sure it would make a huge difference, but I have no power, living in a top storey flat!

It's amazing how much grit you get in the bottom of a bucket - really noticeable when you use it again after a while and it's completely dry. Good argument for grit guards?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
I noticed when replacing rear pads , how much mud built up under the passenger side rear wheel arch around the pipes to the petrol filler cap. That is despite regular hosing underneath AND doing it the day before working on the car..I onlt wash my car every 2-4 weeks.. if I leave it outside when the weather is above 10C ,the bees decide to wax it as they poo as they climb away to go to the flowers they are foraging on.
If I was anally retentive about having a clean car, I would go insane...and bee poo cannot all be removed with a mitten or brush - fingernail job..

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
I don't know where in the sticks you went TG but in Cornwall it's referred too as Cornish Underseal. My Neighbour now gone had a Lada and as was his want called me to look at a problem on his car while there he said to me is that a mat poking through the top of the wing???????? No I said it good old cow sh*t and steel do not like it.
TG if you dont was the car, give it a rinse off underneath, cows don't only produce methane the sloppy brown stuff is pretty corrosive.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
I use Dinitrol  on the underneath plus Supertrol on the exposed nuts and bolts.. The problem with Supertrol is it never hardens so can be washed away..

(No links so not advertising Mods!)

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
I do actually take a bit more care of my car than I might admit to, but so long as it's got a protective coating of something over the paintwork* then I'm slightly reluctant to rub it with anything.  As mentioned above in the 2+ buckets method, anything trapped between the sponge/mitt/cloth and the paint is going to cause an issue.  I do use a hanging basket lance to rinse the underneath if needed and admire those whose dedication puts their car into 'better than showroom' condition.  My car looks OK most of the time.
--
TG

* Autoglym Super Resin Polish

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »

Just on access Jocko - have you ever tried these rinseless products like Optimum No Rinse?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
It is rinseless wash I use. Dodo Juice Low On Eau Rinseless Wash. It is superb. The second bucket is just to rinse the wash mitt in, between sections.
I take warm water down from the house, then fill the second bucket with cold water from our launderette, which is below the flats.

Tags: