Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 135295 times)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
£850 for a service plan seems quite good value, if

1)  It is a 5 year or 60000 mile plan. 
2)  It covers everything except tyres and consumables

How does this service plan differ from a Motorplan as it is called with a new car?  A 5 year motorplan extension for a 3 year old Honda is the equivalent of £1050 but has very few exclusions

If the service plan is only for 3 years, then you need to ascertain exactly what is and what is not covered.  For instance, is a replacement battery covered, air-con regas, brake pads renewal, etc?  Try and compare the cost of regular replacement of these components over the period of the service plan to see whether it is financially worth while.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3792

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
Judging by the print out he gave me it is basically 3 services, covering not quite 3 years because of my projected mileage, one of the services being a major. Don't think it covers anything else which is why, to me, it seems a bit dear. But then I have no previous experience of Honda servicing.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
Excuse me for jumping into this thread but it was the most relevant. I tried starting a new thread but, as a new member, it was stuck awaiting approval and I need to make a decision. The below is copied from the thread I was attempting to start...

Hi,

I've just bought a 2009 1.4 ES, although not from a Honda dealer. The dealership (Kia) who sold it to me offered me a 3 year servicing plan, paid monthly, at a cost of £536. After picking up the car today I drove to my local Honda dealer to pick up a spacesaver spare wheel I had ordered (don't trust cans of gunk!) and whilst there I had a chat with their service department about the cost of a service plan with them. It came in at around £850.
So following on from that I was wondering whether these plans are worthwhile, is it worth paying more for the one from the Honda dealer, is it better to just pay as I go, should I stick with my local independent who serviced my previous car, a Mondeo that I virtually ran into the ground?
The car has done 25k so far and I do around 15k a year. The plan at present is to keep it for around 5 years. Any advice would be most welcome. Anything to do with cars leaves me feeling well out of my comfort zone.

Lucky escape, you could have bought a Kia!
See this page on Honda website, it may help.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/partsandservicing/tailoredserviceplan/
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
If i have learnt anything with my long time driving cars it is that dealer servicing is the biggest rip-off ever.

Most of the things say 'check and replace if required' - well guess what, most of the bits don't seem to need replacing when they check them.   Just keep a decent oil in your engine and change regularly,  fit iridium spark plugs and forget about them for 60K, and just keep an eye on brake pads and tyres, modern manual gearbox oils don't wear out.  All my cars have done extended mileages ( I cover about 25K a year, which would mean 2 services a year) and never had them dealer serviced and never had a bit of bother.   I have a Civic now,  but when I bought my Jazz 1.4 iDSI from a Honda main dealer nearly 3 years old with full HONDA  service history the car had only done about 14K,  but the air filter was minging and the oil filter was the rustiest I have ever seen, and had obviously never been changed since new - - -  'full service history', not worth the paper it is written on.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
Owners may choose to supply air oil filters and oil themselves most dealers usually will accept OE spec parts, saving can be substantial over 3-4 years.

Hora

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
I've just bought a 2011 ES model and in the history it has 5 main dealer stamps and further on in the book it has numerous 'SRVS disabled' stamped. This sounds like it was disabled from new (car was on 5 years fixed plan servicing) and the stamps merely confirm that this is right? nothing sinister?

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
Hi Hora
The service reminder can be turned off by the dealer if not required by the customer.
High milage cars (company cars) benefit as the users are told when a service is due.
Those doing fewer miles say 8K a year can get there service done annually say MOT time. Good for the dealer who can service and MOT all in one with a guaranteed value added charge.

It's my understanding if the service reminder is disabled it is not possible for it to be re-enabled.
Correct me if wrong as that is from memory but I think I have remembered that one right.

Hora

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2017, 11:03:46 AM »
That's not a problem as I prefer annual servicing anyway. Thank you

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
I'm not sure what mine is! (a 2013  Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr). Can't seem to bring up miles left till next service yet either using the sel / reset butt on the steering wheel.

The Ford dealer I bought the car from used, said he would forward on the service book once he found it.....   ::) Not too concerned though, as I got the car for a good price compared to similar aged / mileage Jazzes. 

Tags: