Author Topic: When to oil change?  (Read 5942 times)

09wukd1

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Mark 2
When to oil change?
« on: December 30, 2023, 08:17:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

New driver and first post here. I've been driving a lot since I got my license and my first car; a Honda Jazz MK2 2015 CVT 1.4L.

I have driven about 7000 miles since the last MOT and oil change. I'm a stickler about keeping things running, especially as I need to drive myself and my partner 20 miles to and from work each day on the motorway.

I read online and oil change should be done every 5-7000 miles. Besides the leisure driving, I assume I would do another 2-3000 miles before my MOT in March 2024. We might be doing a trip up to Scotland from the South sometime in February.

I know I can do the oil change myself, however, as a newbie to cars, I'd rather get it done by a garage if it needs to be changed as I've been quoted around £70-80.

If anyone suggests I just do a top up, any video tutorials linked would be great as well! If this has been posted elsewhere, which I couldn't see, please let me know.

Thank you for all your help!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: When to oil change?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 11:16:59 AM »
Honda recommend 12k miles or one year.
I do 6k miles in a year = annual oil and filter change/service.
(Short journeys harder on engines)
I use any quality 0w-20 or 5w-30 fully synthetic under £30 for 4 litres . Usually Ebay or Halfords offers £27 for Castrol Edge  in December this year.
But have used Petronas and others.
No noticeable changes at all/

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 03:00:15 PM »
Ask around other car owners where to take your car for servicing , avoid fast Fit places.
You can buy service parts Inc oils filters and have a local mechanic fit them to your Jazz. Your first job take a look at the cabin filter  behind the passenger glove box. A replacement filter is £10.00 a takes 3 minutes to fit . Enjoy your new Jazz.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 11:33:24 AM »
Depends on how long you're intending to keep the car.  If you think you'll keep it for the long term, then I'd say max change interval of 6K or one year.  Use a good quality fully synthetic and you won't go far wrong.  The Jazz is pretty easy to work on and there are plenty of 'how to' guides on YouTube, so why not DIY and save some cash?  And you'll ensure (a) a decent oil has been used and (b) it's been done right...

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:36 PM »
It is simple as it is complicated. Ad in difference from the others that "have heard a rumor" I can state it as a pro:
1. Most damage to engine oil is from the amount cold starts
2. Get the eggzact same spec oil as recommended  regarding ANSI, DIN, viscosity and gen. spec. Brand doesna not matter.
3. Milieage counts very little, you can drive 5000 kms with fresh oil and it is like new, or drive 5000kms and it looks like stinkin danger shite
4. It's all about the cold starts, driving style. As soon it turns black, or smells like a mix of soot and manure. Change. Change your self is piss easy. Google is your friend.
5. DO NOT skimp on filters! Change original or OEM spec filter every time. Especially the Jazz with timing chain.

And the Jazz lived happily after +300k kms! :)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 12:05:21 PM »
Generally good advice above .....

In powertrain engineering we would monitor oil analysis during development work and determine when to change oil based on that (plus looking out for wear/contamination with coolant etc), but of course we don't tend to have that sort of info to hand out in the real world (except larger fleet users perhaps).
Various car manufacturers use "service interval indicators" which use some sort of algorithm to equate the actual use (stop/start/run-times etc) to a likely oil condition, and as Brakballe rightly says, short cold runs account for most of the deterioration due to contamination. Motorway use is good!

In view of the relatively low cost, if you are able to do a simple oil/filter change yourself, or have a local garage who will do it at reasonable cost, then an annual change makes sense in keeping things simple. I tend to do annual changes with my vehicles just to keep it simple, and as said, always change the filter with the oil, the cost is trivial regardless of what any service schedule might suggest. If you are doing something like 6K miles or 10K km per year then it fits nicely anyway.

As you have a CVT, remember to get the CVT oil changed regularly too, this seems to be quite important in the Honda CVT transmissions. If in doubt always use the Honda recommended oil (though some folk have used other brands successfully). 2yrs or 25k miles is the recommended interval. You can find the correct oil spec here https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:08:53 PM by embee »

Tags:

anything