Author Topic: The same old problem but even worse.  (Read 19639 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: The same old problem but even worse.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »
This is true under most driving conditions but there are times when the sun is in a certain position is relation to the screen and at this point the whole dashboard casts a a reflection on the screen that I can only describe as a fog effect.  Yes you can see through it but vision is far from clear.  Difficult to explain until you witness it yourself.
The problem is exacerbated if certain geometrical conditions (sun elevation, windscreen slope, dashboard slope and eyeball location) are satisfied. I've attempted to illustrate this on the attached sketch. For me, the glare problem on the Mk 3 is much reduced compared to the Mk 2 although it's a mystery why car manufacturers don't realise that this is a potential safety problem and provide better glare mitigation. A suitably shaped piece of black fabric is all that is required, fixed by some press studs so that it can be taken out for the occasional wash.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
I've attempted to illustrate this on the attached sketch.

It may be a pretty diagram and theory but it does not really explain why some people appear to have a bad problem with glare and reflections to such an extent that it appears foggy and dangerous while others have never noticed this phenomena, I am pretty sure that we have a pretty mixed group of drivers on these forums but not everyone has a problem or is reporting it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »
It may be a pretty diagram and theory but it does not really explain why some people appear to have a bad problem with glare and reflections to such an extent that it appears foggy and dangerous while others have never noticed this phenomena, I am pretty sure that we have a pretty mixed group of drivers on these forums but not everyone has a problem or is reporting it.
I think that if the eyes are higher or lower than a certain angle from the windscreen then the problem may be reduced. To see the glare, the angle of incidence for glare onto the windscreen has to be the same as the angle of incidence from eyeball to windscreen. If your eyes are above or below this line then the glare should be less although the whole of the dashboard is producing glare so there's no unique angle. Anyway, that's my theory. I'll let others put forward theirs.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
Over the years I have tried various seat positions but they have not worked.
To find that it was even worse on the MK 3 is very disappointing to say the least.
I'm going to test drive a Nissan Note tomorrow . I will also test it on a bright sunny day as I have read that the instrument binnacle reflects onto the windscreen. Groan!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:11:31 PM by edam »

guest6055

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
I have had my Jazz for just over a month now and the dash reflection has been obvious since day one. Notice it most when driving towards the sun; the screen directly ahead becomes a glare of reflected dashboard. Really distracting at times. Think I will start a new topic requesting current solutions.

DWF

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
I never noticed a problem with my 2010 EX, my 2013 had a little reflection when I got it but, moving the chair up and the steering wheel up to keep the angles at the same comfort lever got rid of any problem. I can make out the top of the dash if I focus on the windscreen in low sun but focusing on the road makes it all go away.

guest1262

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »
I carry a pair of Polarized glasses, actually purchased for fly-fishing, in my glove box. They can be very helpful when glare is a problem and when driving towards a low sun.

Dashboard glare is a problem, particularly after cleaning inside the car and using a product like Cockpit Shine.

There could be a market for Cockpit Unshine.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
There is a parallel thread in the Mk 2 forum with one possible solution not mention in this thread:

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8049.0

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-2016/reviews.html

Honda cant say they don't know about the problem.

The review by Brenda is the best.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:21:16 PM by edam »

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 02:04:42 AM »
Is it possible that other material is used in different Honda factories? We have our mk2 Jazz for 6 months now and i've read this problem a few times, so i have looked for it, put the driver seat higher and lower, but we have no problem. No reflections at all!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
Both myself and the sun have been out a bit more recently. I have noticed the glare off the dashboard so I've been wrong in saying that my Mk 3 + eyeball location is free of the problem. However, what I see in the Mk 3 is a uniform pattern which is much easier to look through and ignore than the bright and dark patterns I was getting on the Mk 2.

JohnnyJazz

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
I have a Jazz MK2 and saw the comments about polarising lens sunglasses. I have been away on driving holiday this last weekend and bought some polarising sunglasses to try and found these excellent with no glare or reflections at all. The lenses were not too dark and I was able to wear them all day. Probably not ok to wear them at night!

TallGuy

• Registered Member
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
I never had the problem on my mk1 Jazz. It's the reason I sold my mk2 Jazz. I was seriously looking at the new Jazz but will borrow one for a day to confirm at my height it's still as bad..... It looks as if this forum may have saved me about £20k!

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
I had the problem badly on my Mk2 (solved by Polaroid clipons), and have just bought a new Mk3.

My assessment is that the Mk3 is definitely better. The reflection is much less bright and more uniform, so much less distracting and noticeable. Like a slight lowering of contrast more uniformly. There are still small bits of bright reflections at the edges, but less distracting than the Mk2. I still use the polarising clip-ons, but less often.

These comments only apply in bright sunshine from the front.

My wife still has our Mk 1, and I find the Mk3 better than that too, in same way as above. The Mk1 is better than the Mk2.

From the variety of responses it seems a highly personal issue.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:31:55 AM by mikebore »

TallGuy

• Registered Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
I had the problem badly on my Mk2 (solved by Polaroid clipons), and have just bought a new Mk3.

My assessment is that the Mk3 is definitely better. The reflection is much less bright and more uniform, so much less distracting and noticeable. Like a slight lowering of contrast more uniformly. There are still small bits of bright reflections at the edges, but less distracting than the Mk2. I still use the polarising clip-ons, but less often.

These comments only apply in bright sunshine from the front.

My wife still has our Mk 1, and I find the Mk3 better than that too, in same way as above. The Mk1 is better than the Mk2.

From the variety of responses it seems a highly personal issue.

Thanks for this posting... I look forward to trying out the mk3... I'll have to borrow one on a sunny day!

Tags: