Author Topic: Need new tyres  (Read 6245 times)

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Need new tyres
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »
I'm after new tyres and want some recommendations
Has anyone had experiences with super cheap and cheerful ones
Anything about different widths and stuff
Bearing in mind the current ones are 185 55 16

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Need new tyres
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
Supplies better these days , I went for falken 195 55 16.
Try tyreleader and or mytyres for competative £
Avoid unheard of makes       as you may as well run on a wheelbarrow

guest5770

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
Best price I found recently for Michelin was Kwik Fit mobile. Ordered online on Wednesday with a booking for fitting on the Friday, had a call from then on Thursday to say all ok for next day.
Fitter arrived 8.30am, two tyres fitted in about 30 minutes and he used a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts.
Check the EU tyre label, and you can pick out the ones that don't grip in the wet.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »
All the major online ordering places are within a couple of pounds of each other these days. Only bargains seem to be short lived & found in unexpected places, for me Asda Tyres were ~£15 a corner less than all the others for just one particular tyre choice.

There is no best place or tyre, but other than just price, which tyre would you pick: C/A/68db H(87) or B/B/71db V(83) ?
--
TG

guest5251

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 09:37:35 PM »
with tyres buy the best you can afford,your tyres have a hard life having to deal with the stresses
of daily driving, from acceleration to braking to cornering in hot and cold weather conditions they
have to contend with a lot.
i personally like dunlop
dunlop SP Fastresponse at kwik fit 68 Db f -fuel b - wet braking just under £80 per tyre
you cant put a price on safety.
in your size they dont seem to make a fuel effient tyre

guest5669

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
I just purchased a pair Dunlop's 2030 185/55/R16 £150 fitted for the front very pleased much quieter than the Bridgestone's. You really have to shop around for Tyres prices can vary, I always use a premium brand for tyres never ever buy cheap tyres. It can mean someone stepping out in front of you while its wet and not stopping in time just saying like. ;D

guest5826

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
Another vote for Dunlop.  I replaced all four of my mismatched tyres with Dunlop Street Response and have been very happy with them.  Got the best price (and availability) from National.  My local Honda shop would have price matched but they weren't able to do the fitting as quickly. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »
I find one high speed emergency stop - with the ABS kicking in like mad- is a effective reminder that if I was using cheap tyres I might be dead.

And usually cheap = don't wear well = false economy.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
I have a civic now a 2009 2.2 ex was a jazz owner before dealer fitted two Chinese death seekers tyres on the front the back had potenzas the Chinese tyres were called infinity and were dreadful in the wet noisy and the vsa was lighting up when I opened the taps
Changed the 2 front to Goodyear all seasons vector gen 2 the rear changed them to Goodyear f1 eagles result car runs quieter grips confidently and better fuel consumption got the tyres from tyre leader and got a local to fit them

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
I have Pirelli Cinturato P1's on mine. Great tyre, never had a problem with grip in any situation (so far)

Remember, those bits of rubber are the only things stopping you falling off of the road and into the nearest tree.

NEVER SKIMP

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:16:25 PM »
Another vote for Dunlop.  I replaced all four of my mismatched tyres with Dunlop Street Response and have been very happy with them.  Got the best price (and availability) from National.  My local Honda shop would have price matched but they weren't able to do the fitting as quickly.

The only issue I have with the Dunlop 2030s is that they are prone to cracking between the treads. Having said that, they are a decent tyre and you can get them for less than £65 fitted at many on-line outfits.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
I have Pirelli Cinturato P1's on mine. Great tyre, never had a problem with grip in any situation (so far)

Remember, those bits of rubber are the only things stopping you falling off of the road and into the nearest tree.

NEVER SKIMP

I haven't had Pirelli on a car for a while but they were on one of my Civics when I bought it at 6 months old, so must have been fitted by Honda.  Found them very noisy and although they did have grip and would hang on they had the disconcerting characteristic of suddenly letting go with little or no warning,  whereas Michelin compound may not have the same ultimate grip but would give way gracefully and give you warning of impending slide.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5669

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »

The only issue I have with the Dunlop 2030s is that they are prone to cracking between the treads. Having said that, they are a decent tyre and you can get them for less than £65 fitted at many on-line outfits.

I just purchased the Dunlop 2030 tyres got them on front have to say the grip in wet conditions doesn't fill me with confidence when cornering. I wouldn't buy them again guys.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »
I think the Dunlop 2030s are grade C for wet handling so no better than middling really. Interestingly, Blackcircles own brand, that I out on my last Jazz, were a grade B for handling. They were Nankangs - a Chinese make - often thought of as "ditch finders." They must have improved of late.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
I had Pirelli on the last Saab I had, fine in the dry but a different story in the wet, I found them quite scary and skittish on anything other than mediocre speeds when on sharp corners, plus I was not happy with the wear which I thought was excessive compared to the previous Michelins I had on.

Tags: