Author Topic: Buying used Jazz Mk2 in Jan 2016  (Read 7046 times)

guest5849

Buying used Jazz Mk2 in Jan 2016
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
Newbie, first car, buying for a small family, been lurking on this forum for a while. Figured that Mk2 Jazz is the best option and ticks all our boxes. Started researching and wanted to share my findings so far.

After been tempted to go with Mk1, we decided to go for Mk2 either ES or EX (preferably) models. First of, there are way too many categories C&D selling nowadays! Totally annoying, some of Gumtree adverts don't even mention this! The cheapest decent non-written off ES I found was 2009, done over 40k on the clock selling for £3500. The EX is more expensive with the best option just over 40k, same 2009 priced at £4300-4400. Missed on Ebay item which was a really good deal (I wasn't on the market back then): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Honda-Jazz-1-3-Semi-Auto-/331717320041

Been exploring the route of sourcing from the auction (BCA), but been put off by their shady practices and no visibility of their final fees upfront.

Are there any other places I can get a car from? Sorry, we are on the strict budget.

If anyone thinking of selling a nice little runner I would be very much interested. Willing to travel for the right car (we live in London). Will update you how things are going.

We love JAZZ!!!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Buying used Jazz Mk2 in Jan 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Auto trader.
I have a 1.4se CVT with 48,500 on the clock which just passed the MOT yesterday. Sirius blue metalic.
Looking for £3,500 but open to a serious offer. :-))

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest5770

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
If you are looking to buy a car on a tight budget, don't restrict yourself too much. At the lower end of the market condition and service history are more important. Ok you may not get all the toys you would like, but it's more important to find yourself a good honest well maintained car that will serve you well for a few years and not present major bills.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »
I would not worry about mileage over condition and service history.
From the forum there does not seem to be any significant issues with the 2009 Jazz, so it's more a case of use - did they run it up the curb every time they parked, scuff every car in Sainsburys, or was the dog often sick in the back.

There may only be a small pool on here, but you should get a good car.
I suggest telling some small traders exactly what you want, and they may be happy to assist. If they know they can turn over a car immediately for a few hundred profit, then joy all round.

BCA is probably best for ex-lease/motability 3 year old cars.
Evans Halshaw has quite a fast moving range if there is one nearby, although choice is much wider at £5k.

The best private deal won't last long, so be prepared to buy it when you see it.
You can probably try for a couple of £100 deductions on obvious things like tyre wear, scuffs, and time since last service; if you try walking away you can always return 5 minutes later if that doesn't work and 'it's the one'.

Sold a 4yo Mini Cooper the morning it went live on Autotrader to the first caller, a couple who travelled 150 miles after agreeing to buy it on the phone. Told them the phone was ringing off the hook, didn't really know if they were going to turn up, but the whole family arrived at 8pm. They did not bring proof of insurance so could not test drive it themselves.

So take ID, proof of 3rd party cover, and online banking or cash - and be prepared to act quickly.
--
TG

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
If you are looking to buy a car on a tight budget, don't restrict yourself too much. At the lower end of the market condition and service history are more important. Ok you may not get all the toys you would like, but it's more important to find yourself a good honest well maintained car that will serve you well for a few years and not present major bills.
Agreed, point taken. It's always a balancing act.
Thank you for your input.

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »
At BCA nowadays you can pick up a decent piece for around £6,000 - £6,300 all in (upto 3 yo, upto 25k). Still contemplating diving a bit deeper/cheaper given that this is Honda.

Good points on finding a deal, I should then definitely get in touch with the local dealer. Also good points on haggling / walking away thing.

Many thanks indeed for your kind suggestions.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
First of, there are way too many categories C&D selling nowadays!

Nothing wrong with those necessarily.

A small bump in a Jazz can easily run up a big repair bill vs value of car. If this happens later in its life, then it'll be an economic write-off. If identical damage happens early in it's life, then the insurer will get it fixed and it'll have no marker.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a D, as long as the price is right. For a C, as long as I'm satisfied it has been repaired properly, then the same would apply.

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
I'd recommend BCA, my car previous to the Jazz (s type Jag) was bought by me from BCA and it was a great car.  i suspect most cars being sold by independent traders are from the auction, so it's a good opportunity to save yourself some money. You can view the cars online beforehand so it's a case of waiting for a good car to come up online and then heading down to see if it worth a purchase

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »
BCA are helpful go along to your local depot and take a look see at whats passing through before you contemplate bidding.
You may also strike lucky by visiting your nearest Honda delearship and ask to see any trade ins if they want to shift a car no warranty no come back basis, failing that local supermarket post office window ect
You can now check any cars MOT history on line.
And never pay cash over without HPI check and anyone looking for a quick sale would welcome a paper trail/bank transfer etc etc. Happy hunting down a bargain....

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 09:57:59 PM »
categories C&D selling nowadays

Nothing wrong with those necessarily.

While I completely agree that there might be nothing wrong with written off cars, I admit I have actually looked at a number of lots on Copart. Some items classed as Cat D are indeed barely damaged. Only I heard that all real worthy light damaged cars are not getting to the end Copart users - there you would only find lemons looking like light damage. Plus at Copart you buy as is and where is so there is no recourse. As I'm not a garage, if I buy a complete lemon that would be money down the drain.

Cat C & D indeed look nice once repaired, but there is no way you can tell what was damaged in the first place and how it was repaired unless of course you do everything A-Z yourself. I can see how somebody using car strictly in town, doing max 30mph, could be interested in Cat cars (not if you go motorways though!). I would not risk mine and my family lives by buying such risky options. Besides, methinks there is a good reason why these cars get sold a lot cheaper down the line. Again, even though it's tempting pricewise it's no from us.

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
I'd recommend BCA, my car previous to the Jazz (s type Jag) was bought by me from BCA and it was a great car.  i suspect most cars being sold by independent traders are from the auction, so it's a good opportunity to save yourself some money. You can view the cars online beforehand so it's a case of waiting for a good car to come up online and then heading down to see if it worth a purchase
An interesting route is to source it through a middle man who does all the legwork and purchases from BCA on my behalf. Saves time and money, even though you're paying little extra fee. Nowadays BCA would not let you in the car I'm told - only exterior inspection. Not sure if this is true, but I'm certainly looking at BCA staff.

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »
Thank you all for your nice responses. Well worth taking a lot of notes on what to do and what not to do!

guest5849

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
I know it's a bit OTT, but what would you say about importing a nice Jazz from Japan? They're called Honda Fit over there. Pricewise they work out around 25-30% cheaper. Do you think it's worth it?

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
with BCA, you need to be viewing the car and making your mind up just before it goes through the ring. At that point it will be unlocked so you'll get a chance to look inside. I think part of the fun of an auction is having to make a quick decision based on what you get to see in a few minutes and taking a punt. I saved about £2k buying my Jag from BCA, when it was 9 yrs old. I only lost £1k when I sold it 3 years later. It's not without risks though. 

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »
Cat C & D indeed look nice once repaired, but there is no way you can tell what was damaged in the first place and how it was repaired unless of course you do everything A-Z yourself.

You missed the point I was making. You could buy a car that has been in an small accident, say in the first 2-3 years of it's life and you'd be none the wiser if an insurer authorised the repair as they don't put a category marker on those. The only way you'll know 100% it has never been repaired is if you had or know the car from day one.

I would not risk mine and my family lives by buying such risky options.

Fair enough point, however...

I know it's a bit OTT, but what would you say about importing a nice Jazz from Japan? They're called Honda Fit over there. Pricewise they work out around 25-30% cheaper. Do you think it's worth it?

...would buying a Fit not be just as risky from your point of view? You'll have even less of an idea where that has been in the past and what has/hasn't been done to it.

Some, not all, insurers may be fussy about insuring it or load the premium.

If a vehicle is subject to recall, you might not get to hear about it with it being a grey import. If you do hear about it, Honda UK might not entertain you and point you in the direction of the grey importer. This is less of a problem with an EU (parallell) import.

I'd take on a Japanese grey import, but given your apparent aversion to risk, I don't think that option is for you.

If the budget is tight, then as others have said, condition is paramount. A better deal may be had with a very late GD1 Jazz.

Tags: