Author Topic: Which Jazz to get  (Read 8906 times)

guest5805

Which Jazz to get
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
Hiya

just been to see a 2009 Jazz iShift with 30k on the clock.  Seems good value but the iShift did seem a little strange with the lag between gears

others have recommended a CVT version but obviously a newer one.  Have seen them available but we are talking between 2-3k more for the equivalent model (although 3 years newer of course)

Anybody had experiences with both?  personal recommendations

Car is for my other half, she is just starting to learn to drive.  Boot would be a bit tight for the pram but would just about work!

appreciate any advice!

thanks

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Which Jazz to get
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
You can search on the forum for earlier posts re i-shift models and feedback.
Once your wife has passed her test then look around for a car she is happy with.
Your wife need to test drive both the i-shift (not loved by many here) but can be OK, then the CVT which came out 2003 , recommend you look at 2006 and later vehicles they have the indicator lights in the wing mirror. As with any used car get a vehicle check before you part with cash and its the condition of the car + any service paperwork that  is key + insist on 12 months MOT if buying from a garage.
There are 100's of good clean Jazz models out there, good luck.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
I am a driving instructor, I teach in a Jazz Hybrid, with a cvt gearbox. My wifes car is a 2009 Jazz with i-shift, I really am not keen on driving her car as there is a lag on her car and not as responsive as the hybrid/cvt set-up.

Personally I think its worth the extra £ to get the cvt, but the simple answer is drive both one after the other.

Good luck.

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
iShift because it's a gadget and very versatile in terms of changing gear, you just need to work out the best way that suits you once you're used to driving with gearbox . I love mine I also had a CVT which I traded it in for. When driving just release the gas peddle when its time to change gear and its very smooth and great on petrol. Have a read of this blog very good.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiL2Mz-xtHJAhXGbxQKHci6DzsQFgglMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdunkvshondaishift.blogspot.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNH2vHYAXjhj6YsDYMBbu113fk2pcg&sig2=lqTx3Nb_OX3JNEqim1dyZg

guest5805

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
thanks for the responses

I drove the Ishift today and have to agree there is a lag and this is unfortunate as the price (and spec) were right.  I guess you can get used to this BUT as my other half is just starting and wants to learn only automatic, I don't expect she will be fussed with who the iShift may benefit from being driven manually

What put me off also was the poor reviews on the iShift too.  I guess that could be the reason they went back to standard CVT so quickly

Is a shame as the deal was attractive.  Considered more expensive CVT models but after hearing the insurance quote for her decided it wasn't such a good idea!!

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
Perfect scenario - DONT buy the iShift - let an informed and experienced person benefit from your loss!

That comment about iShifts not being loved around here applies mainly to people who don't own one, are not experienced driving them and - bless them - perpetuate the iShift being the only bargain in the marque.

The iShifts are as reliable as all the other Honda cars, provide better fuel economy by a margin that should be considered as a boon and are very flexible hot hatches.

However, the slight learning curve required to understand that you are driving a manual gear box and not an auto fudges peoples brains.

Next time you are a passenger or a driver in a manual car - take a few moments to experience the lag when you change gear.

Then think about the extra 2 - 3k you would have in your pocket if you had gone the iShift route.

Hee Hee - I love my iShift :)

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »
I am afraid I have to throw my hat in with applicationcen, having lived with the I shift for just over a year and that replaced a conventional automatic, the learning curve is just that BUT after a short while the problems disappear.
I do not find that there is much of a lag in gear changes EXCEPT 2nd into 1st and vise a versa. As to lifting the foot off to encourage it to change gear, I only notice this when changing down on hills. Often the little man under the bonnet beats me to the down change.  Acceleration, can be quite lively unless you are parsimonious and then there might be  a lag between gears but there can be no fault in applicationcen's remarks about the lag between gears on a manual box. Especially as a plod we were taught to double declutch despite the fact that there was syncho on all forward gears.
I too am very fond of my I shift.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:35:57 PM »
I have just passed on my I-shift to my daughter who loves it as much as I do.
When I originally bought my I-shift, I also test drove a CVT which was slightly newer, but not a patch on the I-shift. The CVT felt numb in comparison and if you put your foot down it just seemed to make more noise and then slowly increase the speed.
The I-shift is more economical than the CVT and when you get over the strange feeling of someone else changing gear for you, it becomes as smooth as silk and as smooth as any other small to medium auto. Drive it in manual and I defy you to improve the mpg compared with driving in auto.
It really is a superb car.
I only hope that my new HRV is as good (picking up tomorrow). Ok, it's a CVT, but if there was a choice, I would prefer I-shift.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »
I have just passed on my I-shift to my daughter who loves it as much as I do.
When I originally bought my I-shift, I also test drove a CVT which was slightly newer, but not a patch on the I-shift. The CVT felt numb in comparison and if you put your foot down it just seemed to make more noise and then slowly increase the speed.
The I-shift is more economical than the CVT and when you get over the strange feeling of someone else changing gear for you, it becomes as smooth as silk and as smooth as any other small to medium auto. Drive it in manual and I defy you to improve the mpg compared with driving in auto.
It really is a superb car.
I only hope that my new HRV is as good (picking up tomorrow). Ok, it's a CVT, but if there was a choice, I would prefer I-shift.

He speaks the truth^^ ;D

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
I just travelled 800 miles in my iShift in 4 days cruising at 70-80mph on M6 apart from tyre noise it was faultless.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »
Have driven both and came down on the side of the CVT, no real reason other than I like driving it more than the i-shift. All down to personal choice really.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
If there had been an EX spec cvt available when I first started looking at the Jazz as a prospective next car - I would have bought one!

It just happened that I wanted Auto (at least I didn't want to have to change the gears!) with cruise and Air.

The only one in the dealers and with less than 7k miles  as a 4 year old on a 2010 plate was this iShift that I ended up buying.

All the others were much higher mileage, many of the cvt variants did not have cruise.

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »
Hi . no offence , but stay away from I-Shift. Go with the CVT. we have a 2012 1.4 EX CVT which we bought in late march this year, OK we have a few problems with the box at first, this was due to the CVT fluid not being changed when it was 2 years old, but after a Drain--Flush--Refill, all is well.
 At this time of year some great deals can be made, you must haggle and never give in. Our car was a 3 year old one and a Ex Motability vehicle with 15K on the clock. It was marked up a £12k when we first saw it on line at a Honda Dealer but after a week it was down to £10k. I in the end got it for £8200. Haggle my friend-Haggle.
 By the way we live in Essex and do a mixture of driving, we get an average of 45+ mpg.

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
Hi . no offence , but stay away from I-Shift. Go with the CVT. we have a 2012 1.4 EX CVT which we bought in late march this year, OK we have a few problems with the box at first, this was due to the CVT fluid not being changed when it was 2 years old, but after a Drain--Flush--Refill, all is well.
 At this time of year some great deals can be made, you must haggle and never give in. Our car was a 3 year old one and a Ex Motability vehicle with 15K on the clock. It was marked up a £12k when we first saw it on line at a Honda Dealer but after a week it was down to £10k. I in the end got it for £8200. Haggle my friend-Haggle.
 By the way we live in Essex and do a mixture of driving, we get an average of 45+ mpg.

It offensive on here I think to say stay away from an iShift and not say why? ;D Most folk don't know how to drive the iShift therefore its easy to slap it down.

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »

It offensive on here I think to say stay away from an iShift and not say why? ;D Most folk don't know how to drive the iShift therefore its easy to slap it down.

Well we never used a vehicle in the mews, with iShift when taking one of the family shopping etc. as they were very unreliable,  especially in Central London and no-one ever praised the iShift. we had many vintage vehicles that were used for special occasions and most of them had Pre-Select boxes, they never let us down.
 The end from me on this Subject. I will not get involved in any sort of Muck Throwing. Merry Christmas   

Tags:

anything