Author Topic: Thule roof bars on Jazz Ex glass roof  (Read 16952 times)

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
Thule roof bars on Jazz Ex glass roof
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
Hi everyone,  new poster to the forum but have been lurking around for a while, I've had a look through the older threads and have found a few comments re fitting Thule roof rails to the Jazz Ex with panoramic roof, having a look i see there are different rail kits etc. I have emailed a few Thule dealers and am getting different information, some saying its ok to fit the kit others saying i will need to ask a Honda dealership if its ok to fit, i haven't asked any dealers yet as I'm sure they will recommend the Honda system.
I realise the load capacity isn't great but they will only be used a few times a year for 20 or so miles.

So i have a question, has anyone used the following Thule kit on a jazz ex?

Wing bars No 969
Fitting kit No 1465
Footpack No 754

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Peter

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Thule roof bars on Jazz Ex glass roof
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
I would steer clear of carrying any load on the glass roof.
Can you not accommodate the load within the vehicle ? take out the rear seats completely ?
Make 2 trips if local.

longlegpete

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply, the thing I will something want to move about is a aluminium ladder some not really heavy but too long to get in the car, if I can't fix it to my Ex then I will have to go with the other half's 1.4 sport

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
I was poking about on Google when I came across the following:

I would not be happy with roof bars on a glass roof BUT Honda actually list a roof bar system for a glass roof

code number is 08LO2-TFO-600A Cox's want £171 for it. However state NO bicycles to be carried!!!!!There is an illustration if that helps

However I did some more digging and Thule have a site which gives fitting instructions Maybe this might help

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Ladders no problem in days gone by - I moved scaffolding with my  Merc 190E out of the sunroof.....

longlegpete

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I was poking about on Google when I came across the following:

I would not be happy with roof bars on a glass roof BUT Honda actually list a roof bar system for a glass roof

code number is 08LO2-TFO-600A Cox's want £171 for it. However state NO bicycles to be carried!!!!!There is an illustration if that helps

However I did some more digging and Thule have a site which gives fitting instructions Maybe this might help

Yes did see that Honda list one and it's a little cheaper than the Thule too, dealer has told me its rated up to 40kg so should be fine,  the reason I was after  the Thule system is you can of course simply buy a fitting kit when you change the vehicle,  maybe I want my cake and eat it?, thanks for taking the time to reply

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
The pads on my Mont Blanc bars sit just outboard of the gutter, pretty close to the door shut line.
I would not hesitate to put them on a panoramic Mk2.
They are a fairly universal foot shared with many other models, mine have been on an A Class & a 3 series.
Alternate feet available for future uses.
Current model differs slightly, and MB is rarer than Thule, but I would recommend them.

Generic image below (Jazz is much more sloping)

--
TG

longlegpete

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
Did see the Mont Blanc on ebay and had dismissed them as they were cheaper than the Thule so had assumed they were not so good, good to have a recommendation for then, may well give them a try, thanks

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 01:19:26 AM »
Mont Blanc make/made racks for Paddy Hopkirk and Halfords. They are also available in cheap and expensive flavours. ;) (steel/ally/aero)

FWIW, this is my ancient second-hand Paddy Hopkirk roof deck fitted to my older GD (2002-2008) Jazz.

2014-12-23_11-24-46_147 by macplaxton, on Flickr

It's really a Mont-Blanc System 400 in disguise. The rack I bought from a friend who purchased it new for an MG Maestro. To fit it to the Jazz, I bought a Halfords-branded M41 clamp set. When Mont Blanc tarted-up there roof rack feet to the design in the previous generic picture above, the old style was sold labelled "Halfords Value".

longlegpete

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
Blimey Eddie,  your a mind of information, thanks  seeing your post mention Paddy Hopkirk reminded me of my first motorcycle helmet, a Paddy Hopkirk Agordo in metallic green !

guest5715

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:36:53 PM »
I use Thule bars on our 09 EX with the glass roof. I've got the older square bars with the 750 foot pack. I emailed Thule UK before I bought the fitting kit for it and they confirmed it was fine. I've done about 1000 miles with a roofbox and 500 miles with 3 mountain bikes with no issues.

The rubber feet design partly touches the glass rubber surround but doesn't seem to exert much pressure. I personally have no worries at all using them.

Hope that helps.

longlegpete

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
Cheers Danno, that's good to know , I will order a set after Christmas, as I said they won't be used a lot, the sort of miles you have covered using them will be my total mileage with them fitted so I should have no worries, thanks for the reply

guest5247

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »
I use Thule bars on our 09 EX with the glass roof. I've got the older square bars with the 750 foot pack. I emailed Thule UK before I bought the fitting kit for it and they confirmed it was fine. I've done about 1000 miles with a roofbox and 500 miles with 3 mountain bikes with no issues.

The rubber feet design partly touches the glass rubber surround but doesn't seem to exert much pressure. I personally have no worries at all using them.

Hope that helps.

Hi Danno

I've just purchased a 64 reg Ex,  dealer told me i could fit Thule Aero bars with no problems.

But reading your post confirmed it , thank you so much.

Looking forward to fitting the new bars early next year.

Just can't get over how spacious these Jazz's are , and those rear seats are just brilliant  :)

Tags: