Author Topic: Alarm question  (Read 14521 times)

guest5697

Alarm question
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
Hi all.

Got a Jazz 2011 EX that got broken into so I've got a question about the alarm...

Rear window got smashed but alarm didn't go off.  I'm just wondering if there was a way to turn it on / off because I assumed that it was on once I lock the doors with the remote. Only time I've ever heard the alarm is the one time I locked the doors with the remote whilst I was sitting in the car.  Hope someone can give some insight. 

Thanks!  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Alarm question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »
if ultrasonic sensor is mounted in front interior light cluster it won't cover rear of car,  and if door was not opened the door switch would not trigger alarm either (was car double locked (or 'superlocked' as Honda call it) - with 2 presses of locking button on remote within 5 seconds,  in which case doors cannot be unlocked even using interior door handles, or even the door key as alarm will go off).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »
Sorry to hear your car got damaged.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
A while back I wanted to check on what alarm was fitted to our 2010 Jazz 1.4 I shift EX  as I could find no alarm code in the book supplied.
On checking I was a little surprised to find that UK Honda Jazz are only fitted with a Thatcham Category 2 Electronic immobiliser.  This is approved by the Insurers. On searching this is a precis of what the RAC state. Cat 2 electronic  immobiliser has to isolate at least two circuits or systems.  Only a Cat 1 or 2/1 is an alarm
I will admit I was a little disappointed that my Jazz had no alarm.
I have checked a list of what is fitted to what and according to the list only Civic type R, Accords and I think HRV plus others  in the posh end, I didn't write down all the list, are   fitted with a Cat 1.
Since 2002 the Jazz has only been fitted with a Cat 2. Does anyone know of an approved upgrade?
Please don't shoot the messenger but it seems that the Cat 2 is acceptable because the Honda Jazz doesn't get broken into!!!!!!!!! Yes, Derren can prove the lie to that one.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
The alarm provision in the Jazz seems to have changed in the past few years. I have a Jazz brochure from 2011 which only lists the immobiliser and super locks with no mention of any alarm while I have a PDF with the specs for a 2013 ES Plus which includes "Perimeter security alarm".  A brochure from earlier this year also shows the alarm for ES Plus, Si and Ex but not the S and SE. It appears that the alarm may have been added to some models in about 2012.

On the Mk 3 Jazz, the SE and EX have "Security alarm system" but not the S.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
My ES Plus definitely has an alarm system, in the handbook it is referred to as a Security System, there is an indicator on the dash which blinks to tell you it is set, if you unlock the front door using the key instead of using the remote transmitter on the key fob the alarm goes off. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:22:05 PM by Hobo »

guest5185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
I presumed mine had an alarm but according to 2009 Brochure it is a "Rolling code ECU engine immobiliser" ...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Attached is a picture of ultrasonic alarm sensors mounted on Civic front interior light panel.

Assume this would be same on Jazz,  the sensors definitely protrude from the housing and are very visible.

All Honda cars have a good rolling code immobiliser and probably an alarm when door switches activate or if the door is opened with a key when security has been set with key fob, but i suspect very few have ultrasonic sensors.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:40:33 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
 I am on my fourth Jazz, all SE or ES models and none have had an alarm, only an immobiliser.

Vic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:33:26 PM by VicW »

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
My 2012 ES has a perimeter alarm fitted as standard. No sensors inside , so no resistance to 'smash and grab'.
As with the civic, only reset with fob, so trying to open the door with the key with alarm set triggers alarm.
As far as I know, alarm covers all doors, boot and bonnet.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »
My 2012 ES has a perimeter alarm fitted as standard. No sensors inside , so no resistance to 'smash and grab'.
As with the civic, only reset with fob, so trying to open the door with the key with alarm set triggers alarm.
As far as I know, alarm covers all doors, boot and bonnet.
I've just looked in the handbook and it's the same on the Mk 3 Jazz: It says "The security system alarm activates when the doors, tailgate or bonnet are opened."
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5697

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Interesting.  Must be an ultrasonic alarm for inside on the front only then. 

I didn't know about the Super Lock with two presses.

Does that mean single-press lock means the doors can still open from the inside?  Something I can try I guess.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Interesting.  Must be an ultrasonic alarm for inside on the front only then. 

I didn't know about the Super Lock with two presses.

Does that mean single-press lock means the doors can still open from the inside?  Something I can try I guess.

by pressing the lock button twice you double lock, meaning the doors cannot be opened from the inside by pulling the handle or flicking the unlock button,so if someone broke into your car climbed through the window the window would be the only escape route for them

guest5697

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »
Thanks for clarification.

Makes single lock sound pointless then. If someone can break the window, reach in and open the door...  I didn't even know I did super lock.  They really should have fitted rear sensors as well so the alarm would go off...  =\

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
They really should have fitted rear sensors as well so the alarm would go off...  =\

Not sure what you mean by that but according to my owners manual once the system is set opening any door or the tailgate without using the remote transmitter or the bonnet will set the alarm off, also if the audio unit is removed from the dashboard or the wiring is cut.

Tags:

anything