Author Topic: Judder when Idling  (Read 3502 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Judder when Idling
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
Hi

My first post, just been gifted 2010 Jazz 1.4 I-shift with 16k only. Getting used to the i- shift, but have a problem when in very slow traffic, and when stationery. Tick over is around 500/700 rpm and every now and again will do a shudder for about 3 seconds then go smooth again and shudder again. If I move it to N ( when in traffic stopped) it doesn't do it.
Do you think the tick over is too low ? Any ideas would be welcome.

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
Re: Judder when Idling
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
 "just been gifted 2010 Jazz 1.4 I-shift with 16k only"

jammy get!!

oh & welcome to the forum coffeecup  ;D ;)
'deny everything Baldrick'

guest5079

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
Having a 2010 EX with I shift, I did ask a question about a similar situation. Ours doesn't judder it just seems as though it wants to move forward when stationary, with the brake on. I suppose on reflection a similar reaction to
that experienced by Fatlad. The answer I received was it could be a software problem with the clutch electronics. However, thinking about it if the car is in gear, even at the tick over revs there must be some form of contact with the clutch plate/pressure plate and flywheel otherwise, on acceleration a significant delay would be experienced when the clutch took up the drive.
I now, if it looks like more than a very short stop put the car into neutral.    BUT WHATEVER YOU DON'T FORGET THE FOOT ON BRAKE BEFORE TRYING TO SELECT A GEAR. Otherwise you will find yourself sitting like a prannit in  a queue as I did unable to select any gear.
Good luck with the I shift, persevere, I find that now I don't even get the so called dreaded gear change delay.  Except between 1st and 2nd if you hurry it too much.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
mine ticks over at 750 to 800 revs and is fine. I love the I-shift, prefer it to the cvt.
I would suggest that if it has only done 16000 in 4 years and driven gently, then it could probably benefit from a good run up the nearest motorway and clean out the cobwebs and add some injector/engine cleaner to the next tankfull.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
When my EX iShift's engine cooling fan engages it really pulls watts. This has the effect of making quite an obvious noise, reducing the power of headlights momentarily if at night, until the alternator compensates for the drain.

Could it be a loud rushing noise of the fan? It kicks in for a short period and then you forget about it until it kicks in again. Less obvious at speed because the cabin noise is louder and the alternator will be turning faster.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:43:10 AM by applicationcen »

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Hi

Thanks for reply, but judder is nothing to do with fan. When stopped in traffic,foot on brake, idling in A1, every few seconds car will judder/shake slightly for a few seconds then tick over normal then shudder again. If I shift to N, this stops.
I think mt tick-over of 600rpm'ish might be too low.

Tags: