Author Topic: New Jazz and running in advice  (Read 8929 times)

guest5565

New Jazz and running in advice
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:28:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Nice to meet you all, having owned a previous Mk1 Jazz GE3 which I bought used (brilliant car), I've finally saved up enough to afford an new Mk2 current model. I didn't particular fancy the new Mk3 model that's coming out soon, as I prefer to buy cars with all the updates and recalls sorted.

Now I was just wondering is there anything to look out for, especially running the car in, as I've never had a brand new car before. The salesman told me that the engines are already run in from the factory, but I still want to look after it. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
Re: New Jazz and running in advice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:11:54 AM »
I just drive mine 'gently' for the first 1000 or so. They soon settle down and economy improves bit by bit!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »
They loosen up nicely around the 100,000 mile mark  ;D

Its a Honda, it'll be fine !

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »
Mine, now, has covered just over 750 miles. Driven "normally/ sensibly".

A recent 200 miles seaside trip, on motorway/ main roads. At all available speed limits. Occasional overtaking, up to 5,500 rpm.... Gave 55.5 mpg.

The car rolled much easier/ freely, when back home. The creep speed, along my drive has increased.

This one journey, shows there is more running in/ freeing up to come.

David.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5545

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
My ES Plus has done just over 700 miles, driven sensibly (although not according to wife!) and currently overall average 51 mpg and 54 on this tank full, which has included some slow in traffic driving.
Just done my fluid checks and the oil level looks OK.

Mike

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
You have just purchased a fine car,  should give you many happy years of driving.

As Ozzie said, Honda engines don't normally run in till around the 100K mark and then never wear out - I would  take it easy for a few thousand miles (just drive normally and don't red-line it).   Just change the oil every 12.5K or 12 months and that will probably be your only expense in the engine department  - Enjoy
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
It's a Honda. Just drive it sensibly and enjoy.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest5565

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »

I just drive mine 'gently' for the first 1000 or so. They soon settle down and economy improves bit by bit!
Thank you Geoffers for you advice, I will certainly bear in mind to take it gently.

They loosen up nicely around the 100,000 mile mark  ;D

Its a Honda, it'll be fine !

Thank you to you too Ozzie for replying back,  100,000 miles ... that will probably take me about 10 years to achieve  :)

A recent 200 miles seaside trip, on motorway/ main roads. At all available speed limits. Occasional overtaking, up to 5,500 rpm.... Gave 55.5 mpg.

The car rolled much easier/ freely, when back home. The creep speed, along my drive has increased.

David.

David, thank you too for replying, it sounds like you got a new car too... which model did you get if you don't mind me asking?  The long drive sounds positive, might have to plan some long trips  :)

guest5565

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
My ES Plus has done just over 700 miles, driven sensibly (although not according to wife!) and currently overall average 51 mpg and 54 on this tank full, which has included some slow in traffic driving.
Just done my fluid checks and the oil level looks OK.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your advice too and ES Plus, which colour did you get?

And 54 mpg, that is really good economy. Was that driving mainly in town, or a mix of motorways and country lanes, if you don't mind me asking? 

You have just purchased a fine car,  should give you many happy years of driving.

As Ozzie said, Honda engines don't normally run in till around the 100K mark and then never wear out - I would  take it easy for a few thousand miles (just drive normally and don't red-line it).   Just change the oil every 12.5K or 12 months and that will probably be your only expense in the engine department  - Enjoy

Thanks culzean for your comment too, it sounds promising as I intend to keep this new one as long as my previous jazz. I don't redline, typically change gears around the 2000-2500rpm mark, and it's only on motorways that the engine goes up to 3500rpm at 70mph.

Thanks again to every member of whom replied, really appreciate it.

Now just got to wait for dealer to tell me when the car has arrived  :)

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »

David.

David, thank you too for replying, it sounds like you got a new car too... which model did you get if you don't mind me asking?  The long drive sounds positive, might have to plan some long trips  :)

Mine is the ES+ CVT auto. I love it!

Transformed, during a day trip. The car now drives, and rolls along, much more freely. I'm arriving at familiar local  junctions, faster than usual.

David.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5545

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
David
Mine is a white one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guest5565

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »

David.

Mine is the ES+ CVT auto. I love it!

Transformed, during a day trip. The car now drives, and rolls along, much more freely. I'm arriving at familiar local  junctions, faster than usual.

David.

That sound great David, although mine will be a manual, so will see how it goes..... thanks again for replying back and your advice too.

guest5565

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
David
Mine is a white one.

Hi Dikul / Mike,

Do you find it easy to clean and maintain? The reason I'm asking is that mine will be a white one too (that's when it arrives)

I would have liked a Milano Red one, but weren't any left in ES+ trim, apparently the only model available was 1.2 S.

Then there was the comment my mother made about it being strange for a young guy i.e. late 20's driving around in a red jazz - lol :)

guest5545

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »
Well the first point is that it's white and everywhere I go at the moment roads are receiving lovely new Tarmac and chippings!  However the dealer talked me into having Diamond Bright treatment on the car and I have to say that it is making the car easy to clean and apparently I will never have to wax it again - we'll see.  The white ids a pearlescent so it looks mighty fine in the sunshine, when we get some!
Good luck with the car, I must say that I am loving it and the more mileage I do, the more eager it seems to become.
Mike

guest5565

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
Well the first point is that it's white and everywhere I go at the moment roads are receiving lovely new Tarmac and chippings!  However the dealer talked me into having Diamond Bright treatment on the car and I have to say that it is making the car easy to clean and apparently I will never have to wax it again - we'll see.  The white ids a pearlescent so it looks mighty fine in the sunshine, when we get some!
Good luck with the car, I must say that I am loving it and the more mileage I do, the more eager it seems to become.
Mike

Thanks for replying back Mike, and Diamond Bright treatment.... sounds kool, I 'd love to see how it goes.

Unfortunately I didn't get it as I had a supagaurd kit leftover from when I purchased my previous Jazz, so spent this morning washing, polishing, and applying protector myself after collecting it.

Tags:

anything