Author Topic: Painless body repairs  (Read 6635 times)

guest5079

Painless body repairs
« on: March 19, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »
Last year in a storm, a branch detached itself and took a liking to the bonnet of our Jazz. It left a nice crease and dent along one of the ribs on the bonnet.
I did the usual trips around the body repair shops only to be absolutely stunned at the quotes. The damage was about the size of the old 50 p piece. £250 was the general price but Honda wanted £400.  I think I did a post asking what would you do?  Well, one repair shop suggested I tried a chap who did this magic with levers.
This morning, he spent nearly two and a half hours with his various tools. The damage was as you would expect under the double skin. The end result, I can't and neither can my Wife find the repair.
What did it cost?  I won't say exactly BUT I paid him what my excess is on my Insurance.  I could not believe that this man, who is so obviously a craftsman spent so much time and care and asked what he did. He was delighted as he told me he has to keep his prices down because people won't pay much for this sort of work. I am sorry to bang on but I did not want to claim from my Insurance despite a protected No Claims and to be frank I am glad I did it this way. I honestly think having seen some of the bodywork repairs done in bodywork shops, that I took the correct action. He told me he is a panel beater and sprayer by trade but after working for a local main dealer was made redundant after training for this type of repair.  If you have a small ding and a claim off your insurance would cause ripples, try and find this sort of repair man. Remember no big jobs, this is really for car park type dents in doors etc. Look for any recommendations but it could save a lot of money especially if you are not fortunate enough to have a protected No Claims. The chap who came to me basically covers North of Plymouth across North Cornwall into North Devon and he comes to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry but he really was the dogs breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope this post is of interest.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Painless body repairs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »
I watched one of these guys at work on a car door in a hospital car park while the owner was at work.
It was amazing what he did with his various tools such that when he had finished you could not see a sign of damage.

Vic.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »
A few years ago, we bought an A-class Merc for my missus. It was only a year old and bought it from Mercedes. When we collected it we noticed a dent in the bonnet, but it was an upward dent as if someone had left a spanner on top if the engine, and then dropped the bonnet shut. We pointed this out to the Sales Exec who said they will sort it.
A week or so later a guy comes round to out place and sets up an array of mirrors on the Merc bonnet and starts tapping the bonnet. Around an hour later he announces that "Its about as good as I can get it", so I was expecting a bit of a botch job, but it was great, no sign of the dent at all, the bonnet was highly polished and all free of charge (to us).
I think the company was Axi-dent, http://www.axi-dent.co.uk/index.html

guest582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
I have found Honda's quote for body work to be about double that charged by my insurance company's nominated garage. I put some of this down to the fact that my local Honda dealer in Manchester has closed down their body shop so all work now has to be transported to Crewe.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Despite always parking as far away as possible from the entrance in a supermarket, some clown managed to put a sizable dent in the nearside front door of my Civic, I called a local dent repair chap and must admit he did a superb job, it was impossible to see where the dent had been.

As an aside why when you park in a supermarket car park nowhere near anyone do you come out and find several cars parked around you when the rest of the car park is nearly empty, what is the attraction of my car? :o

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
I don't have to worry about supermarket dents anymore I get the supermarket to deliver to me!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
Trade outlets often have a dent man on call, buyers in UK seem to want used cars to be as new, getting paid by major dealers is another story....

guest4629

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »
Hobo....is it me parking next to you or you next to me? I get exactly the same thing.....empty car park..... Park in a empty large space......come back and the whole world is next to and around me.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »
^^ safety in numbers.  Someone will steal another car, not mine (they hope)
If music be the food of love, play on

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
Hobo....is it me parking next to you or you next to me? I get exactly the same thing.....empty car park..... Park in a empty large space......come back and the whole world is next to and around me.

it's the herd instinct at work.

I always park away from store entrance as well,  but some people would love to either park inside the store or drive it around the store to do their shopping.   I saw a bloke in top of the range Volvo today screech into a disabled spot and his parking was so bad and he was at such an angle he was overlapping the adjacent disabled bay - he jumped out followed by his perfectly able bodied wife and daughter.  There were plenty of spaces on main carpark,  but apparently if you buy a big German or Swedish car you get free disabled parking for as long as you own it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
Oh dear is this a red rag to a bull job:
  Both my Wife and I had to fight at a tribunal to get the bit of paper to get a Blue Badge.  I really get pigged off by the constant abuse. What people don't realise, or probably think it's clever to ignore, is that people like  my Wife and I need the extra wide parking bays to open the car doors fully in order to get out.
Before some smart alec bangs on about disabled drivers shouldn't be on the road, I would like to say it is due in my case to arthritis that I have one ( back injury on duty protecting some smart arse while they lay in bed at night) and in my Wife's case an incurable auto immune illness, affecting our walking. Nothing else the rest still works perfectly OK. AND as I said it was through a tribunal NOT a ' I could do with a blue badge as they walk around the golf course' finalising with that special handshake.'
I bet that stirs somebody up.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »
Ooooo don't get me started on the "dole poles"   ;D
It really winds me up when I see people with crutches which they obviously don't need.
My father has bad legs due to his diabetes and age. Once in asda the disabled bays were full so I just parked up in a normal space, my dad was struggling out of the car when some tart with a big 4x4 nearly wiped him out zooming into the parking bay next door. Then just glared at him. At which point my dad just pulled his other stick out the car and hobbled off, the woman in the 4x4 then just looks horrified at what she had done and how impatient she was. It seems getting in a car changes people's attitudes really badly in my experience. Anyhow without going on and getting back on topic I shall keep the dent guys in mind. Thanks.

Tags:

anything