Author Topic: iridium plugs advice??  (Read 2236 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
iridium plugs advice??
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:01:37 AM »
hi all  just had a Honda 12 service on the car the dealer asked if I wanted the plugs changed?? I was told that the Jazz that I have 1.4  i vtec ex 2010 semi auto(paddle shift) was fitted with iridium plugs from new at the  swindon factory and do not need changing for 8 yrs /80,000 miles??? the car has only done 25000. miles is this correct???? are these plugs good for 80000???, also just changed the battery for a varta  the original battery again was fitted from new 8yrs ago did not think that was bad going!!! but I would be intrested in any info on plugs and what is the best, Iridium or not?? also the transmission fluid again for this car I am recommended MTF NOT ATF Fluid and again change at 8 yrs 80000 miles whats everyones thoughts????, also just changed air and pollen filter, very dirty but it is not done on the Honda 12 service only the honda 12 + and when I bought the car they offered the service plan 3 yrs and they said it does not get done until the third year (two honda 12 services and one honda 12+ 3rd year) to change the air and pollen filter I think thats wrong it should be done every year??? I would again be intrested in your comments thanks guys!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: iridium plugs advice??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
hi all  just had a Honda 12 service on the car the dealer asked if I wanted the plugs changed?? I was told that the Jazz that I have 1.4  i vtec ex 2010 semi auto(paddle shift) was fitted with iridium plugs from new at the  swindon factory and do not need changing for 8 yrs /80,000 miles??? the car has only done 25000. miles is this correct???? are these plugs good for 80000???, also just changed the battery for a varta  the original battery again was fitted from new 8yrs ago did not think that was bad going!!! but I would be intrested in any info on plugs and what is the best, Iridium or not?? also the transmission fluid again for this car I am recommended MTF NOT ATF Fluid and again change at 8 yrs 80000 miles whats everyones thoughts????, also just changed air and pollen filter, very dirty but it is not done on the Honda 12 service only the honda 12 + and when I bought the car they offered the service plan 3 yrs and they said it does not get done until the third year (two honda 12 services and one honda 12+ 3rd year) to change the air and pollen filter I think thats wrong it should be done every year??? I would again be intrested in your comments thanks guys!!!

Most service plans say 'check and replace if required' for filters - and guess what they never find that they need to replace them LOL - I assume they will only replace plugs as an extra cost - and they will probably charge top price for doing it.....

After 8 years I would be tempted to change plugs anyway, even though they should be good for 70k, I changed the iridium on our jazz mk2 and civic about 10k early and the cars did run noticeably better.  For jazz I used more widely available and cheaper NGK IZFR6K13 (about £12 each) from Opie Oils instead of the rare  and expensive double iridium DIFR6D13 fitted as OEM (about £25 to £30 each a year ago) and everything fine for over a year now.  (note - the prices are closer together now - see links below).

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=NGK%20IZFR6K13

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-124536-ngk-difr6d13-94167-laser-iridium-spark-plug-sparkplug-fits-honda-crz-hybrid.aspx

The 4 plugs on mk2 are not easy to change - for some reason they are at back of engine and you have to take scuttle plate (the metal plate below windscreen) to get decent access, you do not have to remove windscreen wiper motor just undo the 3 holding down bolts and slide the scuttle plate out from under it - plenty on info in here about changing them.  look at this thread - https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9164.0

If you decide to replace them yourself beware of extra cheap spark plugs on fleabay etc as Denso and NGK are targets for Chinese copies,  (some even have have mild steel core instead of copper alloy ) the core is the metal rod that runs from top cap to electrode via a 5,000 ohm electrical interference suppression resistor - which is what the 'R' in the plug number denotes). The steel core does not conduct heat away from tip very well, which is why the proper ones use copper alloy.  The '13' on the end of number is the spark gap (preset at 1.3mm). I have never had to re-gap an NGK plug, even though I do check the gap with feeler gauges before fitting the plugs (just the engineer in me coming out).

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:28:19 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
I am recommended MTF NOT ATF Fluid and again change at 8 yrs 80000 miles whats everyones thoughts?
As far as I an aware, the I-Shift uses an electrically operated manual gear box which requires MTF and the CVT requires Honda CVT Fluid.
My manual says manual transmission fluid changed at 75,000 or 6 years under normal use and half that for severe use.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 11:27:46 PM »
Jocko is right, the i-Shift needs MTF for the gearbox and my manual also says the same 120,000 KM (75,000 miles) or 6 years for normal use.

Air- and pollenfilter is an easy DIY job i would check before the car needs its annual service.

Tags:

anything