Author Topic: Honda Service Plan, worth it?  (Read 7368 times)

DoobieNewbie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
Honda Service Plan, worth it?
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I aplogise for my 3rd post in a span of a week. As mentioned before, I am completely new at this. I bought a 2015 Mk 2 Honda Jazz EX CVT (w/o paddle shifters)  i got the vehicle at 42000 miles and seems like it is in good condition (ex motab).

My question is this, my next service check in due this Nov 2018. The honda dealer is offering a service plan for 4 services (three level 2 and one level 1 check)  that includes Courtesy Car, Collect and Deliver, wash and vac, health check, recall check, mot witg service and environmental charge for £960 or 23.53 per month for 42 installments. Is this a good deal? I am getting a headache just thinking about everything to keep up with.

I really hope anyone can give me an advice regarding this. I genuinely appreciate any help all you car gurus can provide.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: Honda Service Plan, worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »
Personally, no. You might want to use an independent garage later on and save you money. Problem with staying with Honda dealer is that if you need to change anything wear and tear, you will pay more. I alternate my service. The minor service, £165, I use my Honda dealer. The major service, I use my independent garage. So for around £200 I get my brake fluid and air and pollen filter changed too.

If you want to do the service plan, may be ask the garage to do a discount.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »
That price seems a bit steep to me. I've had service plans in the past from Honda but not as expensive as that. On balance I'm not sure it's worth it.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
Does it let you use any Honda dealer?
Is it transferable to the next owner when you sell the car?

This is (should?) be the case with plans taken out on brand new cars but is the same with approved used examples?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
Details of the official Honda service plan are at https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/fixed-price-service-plan.html
For Cars less than 8 months old with less than 8,000 miles on the clock. A one-off, inflation-proof payment will see your Honda through its servicing requirements for 5 years or up to 62,500 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of registration.

The cost is now £895 for petrol engines for 5 years (5 services) - I'm sure that it was nearer £600 not long ago but maybe the price is negotiable when buying a new vehicle. Honda's service schedules conveniently list a lot of work to be done at the 6th service!

Once a vehicle is out of warranty then, unless there's a Honda service plan with the vehicle, it's likely to be substantially less expensive to have servicing done by a reputable independent garage. However, there was a deal not long ago where vehicles serviced by Honda agents were eligible for a year of Hondacare breakdown recovery. I don't know if this is still the case but this could tip the balance on the cost-benefit calculation if you would otherwise subscribe to a breakdown recovery plan.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
Yep .. mine was £500 for five years at list price four years ago plus 5 years warranty and 5 years Hondacare. And a lot of work needs to get done on the 6th service!

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Details of the official Honda service plan are at https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/fixed-price-service-plan.html
For Cars less than 8 months old with less than 8,000 miles on the clock. A one-off, inflation-proof payment will see your Honda through its servicing requirements for 5 years or up to 62,500 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of registration.

The cost is now £895 for petrol engines for 5 years (5 services) - I'm sure that it was nearer £600 not long ago but maybe the price is negotiable when buying a new vehicle. Honda's service schedules conveniently list a lot of work to be done at the 6th service!

Once a vehicle is out of warranty then, unless there's a Honda service plan with the vehicle, it's likely to be substantially less expensive to have servicing done by a reputable independent garage. However, there was a deal not long ago where vehicles serviced by Honda agents were eligible for a year of Hondacare breakdown recovery. I don't know if this is still the case but this could tip the balance on the cost-benefit calculation if you would otherwise subscribe to a breakdown recovery plan.

I am not sure if it is transferrable though. They didn't mention that part. I think the service would only be through their own service center.

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »

From what I understand, I only have a Honda Breakdown recovery plan for 1 year. Does this mean it would be cheaper if I don't buy the plan and bring my car to another honda dealer near me and pay for it? Like I said, the next scheduled service is in November. To be honest, I think they should have covered that service as it is within 6 months since purchase.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
My underlying suspicion is that the dealer who sold you the vehicle is trying to get you to commit to something which is profitable for him. I suggest you ask both another dealer and an independent garage what the individual services would cost and then do your sums. Someone near to you will be more convenient.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »

I am not sure if it is transferrable though. They didn't mention that part. I think the service would only be through their own service center.

I've just had my 64 reg Jazz serviced at zero cost to me as the previous owner had a Honda service plan, with another garage, and which a completely different one accepted  :D

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
I've just had my 64 reg Jazz serviced at zero cost to me as the previous owner had a Honda service plan, with another garage, and which a completely different one accepted  :D

Yes, but yours is a Honda plan - we have that for 5yrs on our newer Jazz too.

On our older one, the dealer offered us their own 4 service plan, which was specific to that dealer, and that was about £1300.  I think they literally added up the cost of the servicing required for 4 years!  So on that basis, the OP's £960 isn't a terrible deal - it would be nice if it included CVT oil change and plugs when needed.

Honda has fixed price servicing for cars over 3yrs old - https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/3-years-plus.html .  You still might need to add some other items now and then - CVT oil change and I think they miss spark plugs too (6yrs).   If you get the breakdown cover renewed - they will do it but you have to specifically ask - then it's not too bad unless you already have breakdown cover some other way. However if you have a trusty local garage then use them - Jazz is a simple car and they should be cheaper and they will likely do a better job.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:48:21 PM by Rory »

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm glad I discovered this forum. All your advice are really helpful. I will look around anyone nearer. My warranty did say I can have it check at my local garage for any issues provided they are VAT registered. Most big ones are registered anyway, is that assumption correct?

Tags: