Author Topic: New BBC Scotland Channel  (Read 1616 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
New BBC Scotland Channel
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
The new BBC Scotland channel started on Sunday evening and I recorded the very first parts of it. It started with a section of music and graphics which reminded me of “The Potter’s Wheel” that they used to show on the BBC, back in the 50’s and 60’s, when there was an interlude between programmes. The first “real” programme was a variety show which started with a group of young, “high energy” dancers. They were dressed in black leotards – with tartan sashes! It was “The White Heather Club” for the 21st century. I switched off then.
I had a look through the scheduling for the week ahead, and not a lot interested me. They are rerunning “Tutti Frutti”, from 1987. I may watch that, again, as it is about an aging rock band touring Scotland, and as an aging rocker who used to gig in Scotland it struck a chord (pun intended).
I did record and watch a brilliant documentary movie called “Nae Pasaran”, which justified this month’s licence fee.
Last night I decided to watch their much vaunted news called “The Nine”. It was very amateurish and soon became so parochial that I swapped over to “Outside Source”, my usual fair at that time.
The BBC always makes a mess of programmes aimed at Scotland. Their view of Scotland seems to be shortbread, highland dancers, bonnie views, and not a lot else. I cannot see this channel lasting very long.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: New BBC Scotland Channel
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:55:26 AM »
Perhaps it will improve. They've stuck at it with BBC Alba, to be fair there's some interesting stuff comes on there occasionally.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
I never give BBC Alba a look. Okay if you like Scottish football but I don't know why anyone likes Scottish football.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »
Channel obviously a success with some people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-47361680

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
I never give BBC Alba a look. Okay if you like Scottish football but I don't know why anyone likes Scottish football.

I don't mind some of the old documentaries and wildlife programmes, some things I've never seen before.

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
the still game is on that channel the last 6 episodes then it as finished for good i  think coming on bbc 1 later for england .ilike them 2 old guys they are funny. 

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
Is Tutti Frutti the thing with Robbie Coltrane? I seem to remember enjoying that when it was first on.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
Is Tutti Frutti the thing with Robbie Coltrane? I seem to remember enjoying that when it was first on.
That's the one. Some great characters and loads of music.
Still Game is not to my taste. If I want to see a grumpy old numpty I will just look in the mirror.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
Still Game is not to my taste. If I want to see a grumpy old numpty I will just look in the mirror.

No, I couldn't get into Still Game, though my old Dad likes it. Two Doors Down is funny though, another BBC Scotland production.

Tags: