Author Topic: Shell V-Power  (Read 4728 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Shell V-Power
« on: August 10, 2018, 07:38:55 AM »
This morning it was time to fill up with petrol again, and since  my local Asda filling station is closed for what looks like new pumps going in (I contacted Asda to ask how long it would be shut, but I haven’t had the courtesy of an answer), therefore I decided to use the local Shell station. I could have gone to Morrisons but I didn’t want short measure again.
Since I was going to Shell I decided to opt for V-Power, to see once again how much (if any) of a difference it made.
Local supermarkets are charging £1.25.9p/litre or £5.72/gallon (I like to use gallons as mpg is what I am used to). Shell V-Power was £1.45.9p/litre or £6.63/gallon. That is a 16% premium in price, meaning I would have to get something like a regular 63 mpg to offset the cost over my all-time average mpg of 54.2 mpg. I doubt that is achievable.
Now I do appreciate there is not a 16% difference between Shell Fuelsave (their standard 95 RON) and the 97 RON V-Power, but I also believe there is no appreciable difference between Shell Fuelsave and Asda’s petrol.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Shell V-Power
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
When I had my mk1 jazz I filled up with a tank of premium fuel from where I get my fuel.
MPG nosedived.
Perhaps I should have tried a second tank but couldn't see the sense of paying more to get less.
It will be interesting to see what results you get.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »
I tried it about a years ago. Felt the car ran a bit smoother (possibly just the brain playing tricks) but the mpg was only marginally better. Not enough to make a viable alternative. Only did it today because I had to buy Shell petrol.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
It's a massive premium as you say Jocko. As far as I know, only 2 supermarket brands offer a premium fuel - Sainsburys and Tesco - and the premium is only 5 pence. Tesco, at least, claim that the 99 RON fuel (Momentum) has additional additives over their regular 95 RON.

The big brands all charge at least 10 pence. I wonder why this is.

More generally, I used Tesco Momentum or Sainsbury's super for the first 3 tanks of my new car. Since then I've reverted to 95 and have noticed no difference at all.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
There is a Sainsbury's in Kirkcaldy, but their forecourt is small and always very busy. I try to avoid going there. I bought a couple of tankfuls there last summer.
I have finally had a reply from Asda. Their filling station is going to be closed for the next 13 weeks(!) for refurbishing. They must be replacing tanks and everything. Or, perhaps they are installing EV charging stations!
I really liked Morrisons, because you could pay at all the pumps. Going into the shop to pay is so old fashioned. Just listen to me. I remember when the girl came out and filled your tank for you. Perhaps Asda are changing their pumps to that format. They had two 24 hour pumps like that, the rest you had to pay at the kiosk.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
Could be. Our local Sainsbury's petrol station was closed for a bit for new pumps and you can now pay at all of them. I use pay at the pump unless I've got a 10 pence per litre off voucher.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
I have used Tesco Momentum exclusively for some time in the past and suggest that any improvements in fuel consumption or performance are negligible and that the increase in price at 5p/litre is a waste of money.
 You will never know if the fuel is beneficial for your engine condition without dismantling the engine and comparing it with an engine that hasn't used super fuel.
I now use Tesco 95 and BP 95 in roughly equal proportions as that is convenient to my journeys; performance and consumption remain the same as before.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
I have used Tesco Momentum exclusively for some time in the past and suggest that any improvements in fuel consumption or performance are negligible and that the increase in price at 5p/litre is a waste of money.
I found that, the last time I used "Super" for a few fill ups. It was just the fact I was at the Shell station I decided to give it a try once again, and to maybe give the engine a bit of a clean up!
At 89p per gallon more than supermarket unleaded it is not a viable choice. When I started driving that would have bought me 4 gallons of four star!!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
Perhaps Asda are changing their pumps to that format. They had two 24 hour pumps like that, the rest you had to pay at the kiosk.

Could be, our local Asda is pay at pump only - no kiosk at all.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:15:56 AM »
Well I have ditched using V-Power. There was no improvement in smoothness this time round, and any improvement in mpg could be attributed to "noise".
The previous time I tried it, the car had been running on supermarket fuel for who knows how long, so the additives may have given it a "blaw through". However, in the interim, I have stuck two bottles of Redex through the system so maybe my fuel system is as clean as it is going to get.
Today I put Shell Fuelsave in, but I think I will go back to fuelling at Morrisons (at least until Asda reopens their filling station). Even when Morrisons sold me short measure (and I am still convinced they did - on two occasions), it was still better value than buying my fuel from the Shell station. Only problem is, it messes up my mpg numbers.

guest7893

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »
I always fill up with Shell V-Power.

It's not for extra power or higher economy but it is meant to keep your engine clean.

Honest John swears by it and got the sake of a few pence on a tank full, it think it's well worth it!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
A bottle or Redex, once a year, cost £4. That is the difference in price between 45 litres of super market fuel and V-Power. Today's tankful took 30 litres. I'll stick a bottle of Redex in and pocket the difference.

guest7893

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
A bottle or Redex, once a year, cost £4. That is the difference in price between 45 litres of super market fuel and V-Power. Today's tankful took 30 litres. I'll stick a bottle of Redex in and pocket the difference.

I see where you are coming from but I would have thought a regular clean from each thankful of V-Power over a once a year Redex clean would be more beneficial?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
Most cars run on supermarket petrol for their entire life with no detrimental effects. I think the hype about cleaning out the fuel system is much over rated. A bottle or Redex does two tankfuls (so is still cheaper than V-Power, even added at EVERY top up, in my case), so I stick half a bottle in every six months (every 4,500 miles). You don't need V-Power to get Shell's additives. The same ones are in Fuelsave.
As I said, I have run cars on supermarket petrol for several hundred thousand miles, all told, and never had a hiccup, especially since leaded fuel was phased out.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
Most cars run on supermarket petrol for their entire life with no detrimental effects. I think the hype about cleaning out the fuel system is much over rated. A bottle or Redex does two tankfuls (so is still cheaper than V-Power, even added at EVERY top up, in my case), so I stick half a bottle in every six months (every 4,500 miles). You don't need V-Power to get Shell's additives. The same ones are in Fuelsave.
As I said, I have run cars on supermarket petrol for several hundred thousand miles, all told, and never had a hiccup, especially since leaded fuel was phased out.

Being a bit OCD I worry about this sort of thing but I saw a Canadian Consumer programme about high octane fuels on YouTube. At one point they talk to a motoring enthusiast who has a collection of performance cars and he uses "regular" nearly all the time. On the cleaning thing, he said that if "regular" fuel was causing these problems there would be broken down cars all over the place.

I think Jocko nails the issue (won't stop me obsessing though!)

Tags:

anything