Author Topic: Some thoughts after 3,000 mls  (Read 2728 times)

guest7525

Some thoughts after 3,000 mls
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »
 Done 3,000 mls in my 2013 1.2 jazz & my thoughts so far ...well the car drives lovely ..steering is so nice , brakes are great , engine is smooth & very quiet , lovely seats, a bit under powered at times when going up hill or overtaking but i can live with that ...and now the down side ..i cannot believe how crap the finish is on the car , the paint is so thin the slightest thing chips it , all the clips & fasteners rust , even inside the car screws rust , the sun blind edges are so sharp you could cut yourself on them ...i love the car but come on honda i expected better quality   :(

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Some thoughts after 3,000 mls
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »
Interesting perspective. I had 2 Mk 2s and, generally, had no problem with fit and finish. Refreshingly free of rattles and that's a biggie for me.

Honda paint is crap though and well known to be soft and easily damaged.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 10:27:34 PM »
Welcome. Make sure you clean bird droppings off as soon as you spot them. Paint is so soft and marks easily. No issues with my Mk 1's clips and screws. Car now 12 years old, and 104,000 miles on it, and it still looks amazing.

guest7525

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »
 Yes my daughter has a mk 1 and the finish is a lot better on that .

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »

Vehicles have for a long time used zinc coated steel 'below the waist' and this has replaced paint as the major reason car bodies do not corrode away in 3 to 5 years like they used to.  Large plastic bumpers that absorb stone chips and do not corrode also a blessing,  electrophoretic painting ( http://www.euroqualitycoatings.co.uk/e-coat/what-is-e-coating/  )  of many components is also a major advance.  I can remember a time when your precious car would be needing cills and underbody members replaced in less than 5 years and bottoms of doors would rust away in no time, keeping the car rust free was a constant and losing battle.  Modern cars are wonderful and many 15 year + examples still driving around and easily passing MOT every year.

It is easy to accuse motor manufacturers of cheapening and dropping quality,  but they have a tough job increasing efficiency to offset rising material and labour costs and still keep prices as low as possible, they need to meet legislators demands and buyers expectations.  I have been involved in motor industry manufacturing and suppliers for many years and I know how tough it is,  you would be surprised how many parts go into a modern car and how efficient they have to be and how good their quality control is (remember many plants are turning out a complete car every 40 seconds or less and every one has a different specification * and has to be perfect).  Legislation like the EU banning use of VOC (volatile organic compounds) solvents in paints has forced people to use water based paints,  which can be pants.........

* to see cars going along a production track and different coloured seats, wheels etc. etc. arriving at trackside 'just in time' from overhead systems is a sight to behold. 

When you sell a car you lose control over how it is treated,  and some people are very hard on cars indeed (including the ones that drive like they stole it and also ones that do less than 2000 miles a year) - cars have to satisfy so many expectations from so many diverse people and still stay safe and efficient. 

I have had some terrible cars in the past,  but since buying Honda all that is history.

The profit margins in car making are not very big and rely on volume and economies of scale to be viable,  and one recall can wipe out a lot of profit.

Lets hear it for Honda Hip Hip......................................

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:51:15 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
and one recall can wipe out a lot of profit.
I see Honda has had another death caused by an exploding airbag (Malaysia).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
and one recall can wipe out a lot of profit.
I see Honda has had another death caused by an exploding airbag (Malaysia).

Takarta made airbags for many cars, hot and humid conditions are bad for airbags with exploding tendencies. We have had slightly warm and a bit humid weather in UK recently, but not enough to worry your airbag. Considering the lives and serious injuries airbags have saved and the fact they do contain explosives I suppose a few unfortunate people have been in wrong place at wrong time, not good but nothing is 100% perfect.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »

Can't remember when the mild facelift for the mk2 was (2012?) but there's a noticeable difference between our earlier mk2 and our later one, with the later one being worse.

guest7525

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
 My wife has a nissan note & its finish is much better that my honda  :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
My daughter leases her cars and she's on her second new Qashqai. It's a top of the range model and does feel very swish and high quality.

That said, I'm pretty sure Hondas edge Nissan for reliability.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
The CR-V I had on loan also felt very swish and high quality. When you look at the prices for a CR-V and Qashqai you can understand why.

Tags:

anything