Author Topic: Rusty Tailggate  (Read 551 times)

copelandbc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
Rusty Tailggate
« on: July 21, 2020, 12:54:33 PM »
My 2010 Jazz has developed rust on the bottom end of the tailgate. I took it to a local spray place and they said it had been repaired once already.  New spray on tailgate would be £200 no guarantee.

How much would a new or used tailgate cost?

Also very surprised at Honda. I've kept my eyes open and not noticed rust in this area on other manufacturers same age cars

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Rusty Tailggate
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 02:48:24 PM »
Probably accident damage and poor repair...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Rusty Tailggate
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
Probably accident damage and poor repair...

Quite possibly, it's a vulnerable spot. Depending upon what they find when they strip it back, a permanent repair may be possible - but if the rust is in the inner/outer panel seam, it's going to need more work than a panel and paint shop want to do. Everything can be fixed, if it's done properly.

A new bare tailgate in primer will be a small fortune, and then you will have to pay for painting and glass fitting, plus the job of actually swapping everything over. That's going to add up to a big chunk of the value of a 2010 car.

Personally, I would be going for a repair, or a used tailgate in colour. Having a quick flick over ebay tells me that you're looking at £200-£300, those prices on there are not usually far out... sometimes cheaper than a breaker, and you can often barter a bit in person. If you can find an advert for a car breaking in the same colour, you can sometimes get a better deal.

Tags:

anything