Author Topic: Creaking noise from rear of car  (Read 2504 times)

BlueMonday

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2019 1.3 i-VTEC CVT
Creaking noise from rear of car
« on: September 05, 2022, 08:05:29 PM »
Hello all,

I have a creaking noise coming from the right rear of my car, I am guessing that it is the shock absorber because I hear it when I get out of the car and also when I put my weight on the rear and push down.
I have not experienced this with any car I have owned before, this car is 2019 and on has 13K Miles on the clock.

I have had a look on Youtube for a video on how to lubricate the rear shock absobers but can only find replacement videos.
Are they serviceable or sealed units and need replacing when creaking/squeaking?

2019 Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC CVT

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Creaking noise from rear of car
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »
2019 model, is it still covered by Honda's 3 year warranty is my first thought? If it is get them to sort it out.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 08:32:18 AM »
Hello all,

I have a creaking noise coming from the right rear of my car, I am guessing that it is the shock absorber because I hear it when I get out of the car and also when I put my weight on the rear and push down.
I have not experienced this with any car I have owned before, this car is 2019 and on has 13K Miles on the clock.

I have had a look on Youtube for a video on how to lubricate the rear shock absobers but can only find replacement videos.
Are they serviceable or sealed units and need replacing when creaking/squeaking?
Shock adsorbers are sealed.  You can service them in specialized workshops but this would cost as or more than changing them.

BlueMonday

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:59:32 AM »
2019 model, is it still covered by Honda's 3 year warranty is my first thought? If it is get them to sort it out.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

No, it was registered in April 2019. I bought it in June 2022.

BlueMonday

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
Hello all,

Shock adsorbers are sealed.  You can service them in specialized workshops but this would cost as or more than changing them.

Thanks for the information.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 11:43:34 AM »
it will be coming from the rear brakes when the handbrake is on, try appplying the handbrake tighter

BlueMonday

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 01:05:49 PM »
it will be coming from the rear brakes when the handbrake is on, try appplying the handbrake tighter

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion.
I always leave the car in Park, and hardly use the handbrake when the car is on the drive.
The creaking only seemed to come from the right side.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 01:51:13 PM »
You know, it could be one of the mounting points of the shock. Top mount not so easy to see, but bottom should be. Compare side to side and look for deteriation. Should be any, but....just a thought.

Don't know if you're handy with a spanner, but only a couple of bolts to remove the shock and have a look.

HTH

This link will show you what the top mount looks like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284075434204?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIxu3xipqA-gIVi-3tCh2mIwiZEAQYBCABEgIuMfD_BwE

BlueMonday

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »
You know, it could be one of the mounting points of the shock. Top mount not so easy to see, but bottom should be. Compare side to side and look for deteriation. Should be any, but....just a thought.

Don't know if you're handy with a spanner, but only a couple of bolts to remove the shock and have a look.

HTH

This link will show you what the top mount looks like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284075434204?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIxu3xipqA-gIVi-3tCh2mIwiZEAQYBCABEgIuMfD_BwE

Thanks for your help westy36, this morning I thought I would have a go at taking the boot carpet up so I could have a look at the top of the right shock absorber. I found this video but although mine is a 2019 model it is different to the one in the video. The carpet was fixed in a different way and it was glued in many places so I decided to stop before I caused any damage.
I did inspect the shocks from under the wheel arches and it all looked good, no leaks, gators in tact.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »
Maybe a little judicious spraying of silicone lubricant or similar at spring/rubber bushing ends.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 08:13:15 AM »
I have had this problem on a MK2 and it was the top mounting on the back of the rear seat where it clipped in

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 07:37:07 PM »
That's normal for most cars when the handbrake is on, don't waste your time it's not a fault.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 11:18:09 AM »
I have a cunning plan.  I dont know if it will work, mainly because I have never had the opportunity to try.

Try putting  a phone, with sound recorder running , as near as possible to  potential   sources of noise and see which one gives the loudest recording when you provoke the noise.     

You could do the same with an assistant  listening,  but my method, if it works, does without an assistant and reduces the dangers of climbing under the car.   

You can buy  mechanics stethoscopes but these  tend to be very localised in what they pick up.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: