Author Topic: Mk1 Amphibious Jazz spotted on Somerset Beach!  (Read 1921 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Mk1 Amphibious Jazz spotted on Somerset Beach!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »
Hey, that looks like mine!

Poor old Jazzy, will be category A scrapped and you can't even strip for spares!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:03 PM »
Oh my... poor family, poor Jazz. Some of the comments below the article are really sad.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:14:36 AM »
Oh my... poor family, poor Jazz. Some of the comments below the article are really sad.
That's the Daily Mail for you!

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
Unfortunately we can look at the car and think as someone did, what a prannit. However it is easily done. I believe Polzeath beach is no stranger to such events and of course sea water doesn't do it much good.
The adjoining beat to mine was Camber Sands and the 'village' bobby there used the station Land Rover Station wagon in  the summer for patrol. One day, the radio was quite active but no sense could be achieved. My colleague had driven along the beach which he had done many times when he sank into some quick sand. The Land Rover sank in and refused to move. Where he was was out of reach of normal recovery, so the local news/TV etc was treated to the sight of a Police Land Rover disappearing under the waves with the blue light flashing in defiance. It was recovered the next low tide but it was a write off.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
Anyone who voluntarily drives a car onto a beach is firmly in the 'numpty' category,  even having a 4x4 is no guarantee of success.  I would do it with a quad bike with nice fat tyres.

Best plan is....

A) never park on a beach, sand is tricky stuff and you can soon find yourself unable to get back off once the wheels have sunk in. Also by parking so close to the sea salt spray and the 'shot-blasting' effect of wind and loose sand will give your car a hard time.  I used to work with a guy in RSA who parked on a beach and he needed new headlight glass, new windscreen and it took the paint off front of car bonnet etc.)

B) if you really must park on beach and you drive over seaweed / driftwood (the high tide line) to get to your spot then you are on the bit of the beach that belongs to the Queen (the bit between high and low tide mark) and at some time that bit of beach is going to be covered in water, seawater is very corrosive and will do your car no good at all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:13:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
Police Landy lost:

Police Disco saved just in time:

I was really trying to find the series 1 Landy pulling the Overfinch Range Rover off a Salcombe beach. (tyre choices) but seeing 100 panicking Floridians cut off by the tide is quite funny
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
My colleague lost the Station Land Rover in about 1988, so nobody learns do they? Unfortunately Camber sands are quite extensive and people are incredibly stupid. The end nearest to my patch was separated by a River but being dunes and away from the centre used to attract Gentlemen who used to be proud proud of their wares. This we turned a blind eye too, EXCEPT when they stood on the top of a dune and started playing with their toy. I would sit my side and guide my colleague in, unfortunately he had to use the beach as that was the only vehicular access. Mind you we never complained about the young Ladies that used to discard all their clothes. Sexism, like hell just red blooded Englishmen.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »
This is just along the coast from a place which, in my younger days (as a native of Somerset) was locally known as Weston-super-Mud because of the nature of the material on the beach. As people have discovered, mud provides far more challenging driving conditions than sand.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything