Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201335 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:57:04 PM »
As per title...

You can use Google to convert from L/100km to MPG.

Please state if you wish the type of driving you do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:44:41 PM by RichardA »

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Typically getting 47mpg on the trip computer readout using regular Unleaded (usually from Sainsbury's or Esso), driving around 35-40 miles per day on mainly A/B-roads with some dual carriageway and urban traffic.

guest464

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:27 AM »
Hi,
Based on my last 3 tanks of petrol, full to empty light on each time my computor reads 52.9mpg.
50% of motorway driving at under 75 mph, the rest journeys of between 5 to 20 miles mixed driving. I've done 29,000 miles in 15 months from new so i have a pretty good idea of what my Jazz should do to the gallon.
The best i have ever seen is 64mpg on a run from Sheffield to Dover through the night keeping to about 65 mph.
The worst I have had is 46mpg during a very cold period doing short journeys.
My car has the 1.2 engine.
Great web site but not much to report as they don't go wrong very much!!

wil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »
Only seem to around 38-40mpg of mixed casual driving.
Mines a 1.4 CVT though

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
After two tankfulls of super unleaded (thanks to Sainsbury's money off fuel vouchers!) my mpg improved although going back to normal unleaded has had no effect. Therefore, it appears that whilst super unleaded hasn't improved mpg over normal 95RON unleaded, it perhaps 'cleans' the system out.

My trip computer is now reading at fill-up around 48/49mpg, often staying in the 50's for fair amount of miles.

guest164

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
I am 1.4 SE CVT-7 driver and I do a 100 mile round-trip daily communte between two moderately rural towns. I would classify the driving I do during the commute as town and country. I regulary obtain 52-55mpg over every tankful and I have seen this behaviour over the 73,000 miles I've run my 2005- model year Jazz.

My previous 2003 model year Jazz used to regularly get 55-58mpg over the same route over about 68,000 miles.

I attribute the better MPG figure to the 2003 year model to having had a throttle-by-wire throttle whereas the 2005- year model has a throttle cable. I think that when the engine computer unit has full control over fueling it does a better job than my foot does. And it's just a luck of the draw whether you get throttle-by-wire or throttle cable when you buy a Jazz :)

Even so, throttle cable or wire, both cars returned fantastic MPG figures which I attribute to the iDSI and CVT-7 technology, and using quality fuels, with one tankful of V-power or BP Ultimate, every month to keep things clean and regular Honda servicing by a brilliant Honda dealer. Of course driving smoothly, with good attention to road conditions and being sure to be progressive with the throttle helps too :)

It's really fun with Jazz trying to tease out ridulously good, almost diesel like MPG figures! Holidays are best - here I share peoples experiences of 65MPG and more :)

Long may Honda keep the technical innovations coming :)

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
I have a 2007 CVT auto.

Very short trips around town, it returns no more than 37mpg on the trip meter, which is about 35-36mpg at the pumps.

On motorways with a light foot and keeping speed no more than 70mph, I've never seen more than 47-49mpg on trip meter.  It works out about 46mpg at the pumps.

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Geoffers

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
I have a brand new 1.4 manual. The trip is consistently over-reading by 2 to 4 mpg compared to what it takes to refill the tank and the actual mileage.
Trip = 46; actual = 44!

Jazzfan

• Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
1.4 S Jazz no aircon fitted with a full set of Michelin Energy Saver Tyres. Fill to fill mpg meter showed an average trip mpg over 397 miles of 56mpg.  Best meter reading was a return trip from Westhaughton near Bolton to Nuneaton, after filling up with Shell, of 71.8 mpg over 99 miles.  Photo available to prove.  Remaining 298 miles were mostly local and return journey to work (5.5  miles each way) and average on mpg meter dropped to 56 mpg. 

Sounds great doesn't it?  But when I filled the tank, the real consumption came out as 46 mpg.  disappointing or what!  Next step is to check the odometer. 

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
Last time I filled up I'd used just over half a tank of Esso regular unleaded: 287miles, 24.7 litres, 52.3mpg according to Excel spreadsheet or 49.9mpg on trip computer.

Normally I wait until the low fuel light comes on but on this occasion I had a Sainsbury's money-off fuel voucher to use before it expired. I don't know if these figures would be quite as impressive if I had waited until I needed a full tank.

Geoffers

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
These are the mpg figures for my car since new. Each pair of figures represents a fill-up!
Actual/Car
45.0/45.0
44.1/45.0
45.0/46.4
45.4/47.4
44.0/47.7
40.8/42.9

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
Like most fuel economy readouts the one on the Jazz has an update period (sampling time) it probably takes a reading about every 10 seconds and updates the display, this means that if you are an erratic driver (always accelerating and heavy braking) it can miss out on peaks and the car display will be optimistic compared with your actual consumption. On the other hand if you are a smooth driver, not only will you get better mpg anyway, but the display will be more accurate.

Remember every time you use the brakes you are wasting fuel, and the harder you brake the more fuel you are wasting.

Rapid acceleration burns up the fuel like nobodies business, much more than sustained speed.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
I commute 50 mile round trip 5 days a week, mixed A-roads and town, and driving in a moderately careful way (changing up early, coasting where possible and staying below 60mph) can easily get 57 to 58mpg out of my 1.4SE manual Jazz.

This is not from the mpg display, but by petrol used / miles done.  The mpg display seems to read anything up to 4 mpg optimistic.

Once I zeroed the trip after a couple of miles (once the engine was warm) and got over 70mpg on the readout when I reached work - I know that this is 'cheating' but just wanted to see the result.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 04:31:09 PM »
After refilling I got up to 73mpg on the readout! I know it won't sustain that figure (it dropped to 71 as you can see once I stopped) but it's fun to see on the display!

[edit by admin 18 Dec 2010 - removed missing image]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:07:28 PM by RichardA »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »
Mk1 2006 CVT 38 to low 50's
Only filled up once with the mk3 CVT just short of 40 mainly short journeys.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Tags: