Author Topic: Tyre type and pressure  (Read 1081 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
Tyre type and pressure
« on: July 24, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »
Hi guys. Honda Jazz Mk 1 1.4 manual.

What type of tyres should I use? What size? Any other specifics so I can choose the right type?

If I want to keep it on a budget whats the lowest I can spend and still get a good drive out of it?

Any recommendations for makes or types of tyres?

Also, I keep getting cuts and nails in my tyres. How often do you guys get this? I suspect an angry neighbour who fights me over a parking space lol may be doing something to my car but not sure. I have driven my car about 20,000 miles on motorways and country roads and urban areas over a 1 year period and needed two tyres replacing so far. Is that about normal?

Last time I just paid some dodgey garage £20 a tyre to chuck some tyres on for me but if I invest in some new tyres dont want my car getting vandalised.

Also, when inflating tyres, what is the optimal tyre pressure? Any other points of benefit regarding tyres whilst we are on the subject lol feel free to chip in. Not sure how much more we can say about tyres but I think I covered everything :-D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Tyre type and pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
The recommended tyre pressures are listed on the drivers side central door pillar, or should be. It also tells you what tyre sizes you can use.
I use Toyo Proxes CF2's at the moment, no complaints. Not the cheapest but not the dearest either.

Vic.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »
I had to replace a tyre a few weeks ago because I'd picked up two screws, one near the edge of the tread. I took it to a local Drive In (is that a national chain?) they recommended Sumitomo (which I'd never heard of) which came with a guarantee. Seems hard to believe but if it gets another puncture in the life of the tyre they will replace it.

I was happy to pay £54 fitted for a 185/55 R15 to get back on the road.

The rest are Khumo ES01 which I had fitted a year ago at £50 each. I quite like them, quieter and better ride and grip than the worn out Linglang's they replaced.

On pressure they say 32psi front and 30psi rear (unless heavily loaded) but I raise it 2 psi all round in the hope of better mpg.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:07:31 PM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

xoman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz EX 1.4 Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »
I had to replace a tyre a few weeks ago because I'd picked up two screws, one near the edge of the tread. I took it to a local Drive In (is that a national chain?) they recommended Sumitomo (which I'd never heard of) which came with a guarantee. Seems hard to believe but if it gets another puncture in the life of the tyre they will replace it.

I was happy to pay £54 fitted for a 185/55 R15 to get back on the road.

The rest are Khumo ES01 which I had fitted a year ago at £50 each. I quite like them, quieter and better ride and grip than the worn out Linglang's they replaced.

On pressure they say 32psi front and 30psi rear (unless heavily loaded) but I raise it 2 psi all round in the hope of better mpg.

Me too, was thinking of getting the Sumitomo for my Jazz, but had no idea how they perform.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »
The recommended tyre pressures are listed on the drivers side central door pillar, or should be. It also tells you what tyre sizes you can use.
I use Toyo Proxes CF2's at the moment, no complaints. Not the cheapest but not the dearest either.

Vic.

+1 for Toyo Proexes 2, got them not too long ago and they are definitely better than Yokohamas

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:03 AM »
Me too, was thinking of getting the Sumitomo for my Jazz, but had no idea how they perform.

I can't be much help I'm afraid as I can't tell any difference at all, perhaps because it's only one out of 4.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags:

anything