Author Topic: sold Skoda bought honda jazz  (Read 6137 times)

guest5077

sold Skoda bought honda jazz
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
traded my Skoda superb in for  a Honda jazz after all kinds of warning light problems and expensive engine repairs  touch wood the honda jazz seems like a good buy seems to be good in the reliability stakes apart from EGR valve wot is it ?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: sold Skoda bought honda jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
EGR is exhaust gas recirculation device mounted on front LH of engine - it stays mainly in the closed state .  At high revs it opens allow some exhaust gas back into inlet manifold,  this lowers combustion temperature and reduces NOx (nitrous oxide) emissions. Trouble happens when it gets stuck in the open position by carbon build up on the valve and stem.  When it is stuck open the engine behaves at low revs as if it has a massive leak in the induction manifold and won't run properly,  cuts out and generally feels very sick.   Just search for EGR on this forum and there is loads of advice for cleaning etc.  Mainly affects cars that do short local hops and not many annual miles (as do many other problems).  This EGR is not exclusive to Honda and is fitted to most cars.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5077

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
thanks for that i do mainly short mileage maybe a good blast down the motorway will stop it happening !! is it a big job curing it i used to be in the car game but was brought up with contacts and condensers cars now are beyond me

guest5077

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »
i think in another name with my skoda it was called a DPF diesel particle filter probably the same thing only diesel im quite impressed with the fuel tank on the Jazz i put 25 quid in and it was nearly full also first automagtic car ive owned

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
Don't get Skodas here.  What was it like?  They appear to be reasonable value for money
If music be the food of love, play on

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
Hello and welcome :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »
i think in another name with my skoda it was called a DPF diesel particle filter probably the same thing only diesel im quite impressed with the fuel tank on the Jazz i put 25 quid in and it was nearly full also first automagtic car ive owned

DPF is different to EGR because Diesel engines have an EGR as well as DPF.

DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is there to take those nasty cancer causing particles out of Diesel exhaust gas (European legislators have tried for decades to pretend that they weren't there,  but Japanese and Americans knew they were, and that is why Diesel cars were never popular in either of those countries).

The particulate filter need cleaning every so often and cars have a tank containing Urea, which is automatically sprayed on the filter and creates a very high temperature to kill those naughty particles and leave the filter all shiny and new to collect some more.  The DPF's are prone to fail and allow all the gunge out anyway,  and also some people take them off because they clog up and damage the engine - resulting in massive repair bills.

A diesel engine may save you a few mpg, but diesels are so complicated nowadays that they often fail and result in spectacular repair bills that may require you to re-mortgage your house.  My bosses 18 month old Mazda has been in repair shop for about 9 weeks waiting parts to rebuild a wrecked engine, luckily it was still under warranty.

here is a quote from a motor magazine----------

Removing your car's diesel particulate filter (DPF) might be tempting, because the damage caused by a clogged DPF can result in four-figure repair bills. An internet search reveals numerous companies advertising DPF removal services, but as well as being bad for the environment this is also illegal, and the Government has moved to tighten up the regulations concerning such practices.

In October 2013 Robert Goodwill, roads minister, announced that garages and testing stations will be required check for a DPF as part of the MoT test from February 2014. The vehicle will automatically fail test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is no longer present.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:32:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5077

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »
thanks for that .i feel diesel cars are now not as popular as when they first came out ,there seems to be too many issues with diesel engines "Heavy fuel" and also heavy on the wallet, ive lost faith in Diesel Engines hope my Honda Jazz is better ,its automatic not got round to using the 7 speed option yet does anyone ever use that ?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
My Jazz CVT uses the seven speeds when it's in D.

Tags:

anything