Author Topic: Cooling fans  (Read 2707 times)

bond38

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD1
Cooling fans
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:39:09 AM »
Hi guys....

notice there are 2 fans in the engine compartment.
only 1 is running (left side fan) when temp is high about 95 degree C,
or when the air con is running (compressor cuts in).

May i know when and how is the 2nd fan runs?

Thanks for your feebacks :-*

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Cooling fans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »
Second fan is the engine cooling fan and comes on when the engine gets too hot. If the air con is on the first fan may well cope without the need for the engine cooling fan. I do not have air con and my cooling fan does not come on at 95°C. Needs to be a bit higher than that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
With aircon turned on both fans normally run even with cold engine, the fans go on and off with compressor clutch, the LH fan ( from driver seat ) is engine cooling, which I have to say has never come on on its own on any of our Honda cars, but on my wifes Fiat used to come on regularly and used to come on and stay on for several minutes every time the ignition key was removed..  RH fan is aircon but I don't know why they both come on together - maybe to stop hot air from aircon radiator being blown back through engine radiator ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:43:26 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
According to the Honda wiring diagram
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i018.HTML
the radiator and air con fan should only come in if the water temperature exceeds 93°C. According to the Haynes manual the only difference between the circuits is that the radiator fan only comes on with the ignition, whereas the air con fan runs anytime the water temp is reached irrespective of ignition. Strange set up.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
According to the Honda wiring diagram
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i018.HTML
the radiator and air con fan should only come in if the water temperature exceeds 93°C. According to the Haynes manual the only difference between the circuits is that the radiator fan only comes on with the ignition, whereas the air con fan runs anytime the water temp is reached irrespective of ignition. Strange set up.

The strangest thing is that they both come on as soon as aircon compressor clutch pulls in, and afterwards both go on and off with clutch even when engine is stone cold. Same on Civic....

Had a quick peep and air conditioning radiator runs across whole front of car, in front of engine radiator, so that explains why both run with aircon on.  It's good in a way that aircon rad protects engine rad from stones - but still does not excuse Honda for never fitting a proper protective grille in the bumper though...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:34:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bond38

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »
Hi guys...
just change the fan motor and it takes 2 hrs to complete cos need to take out bumper and the radiator.

Mine is right hand drive 2007 Jazz GD1 (Singapore). When u sit inside driver seat, in front is the RHS fan,
passenger side is the LHS fan. The coolant blue light will goes off when temp reach 54 degree C.

When not using AC and stuck in a jam. temp will reach 95 C and both fan will start.
With AC on...both the fans turn when compressor kicks in....and off when compressor stop.
The temp will be about 83 C.

Cost me about USD85 to change the fan motor.

bond38

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
This is the motor...part number Denso 065000-3070
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:11:15 PM by bond38 »

Tags: