Author Topic: CVT  (Read 3980 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
CVT
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
Hi

How does the flappy paddles compare to the I-shift paddles when driving, is there much differance, I love the I-shift but not sure about the CVT.

mike

guest5770

Re: CVT
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
Have a CVT and apart from playing with the paddles a couple of times when I first got it I haven't felt the need to touch them since.
The CVT is so smooth ( as you would expect from a stepless transmission) there is no need to do anything. If you do however it is still just as smooth.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
When I had my CVT Jazz I used the paddles quite often and found them useful on the hilly roads in the local area where I live in Cornwall especially when needing extra engine control on steep inclines, I found the CVT gearbox could be a little sluggish when a lower gear was necessary on steep uphill climbs and when extra engine braking was required on downhills.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »
Just come back from Cornwall Hobo and I wondered how a CVT coped with those long uphill stretches on the A30. Does it cope I guess is my question. I had a ride in friend's CVT and it seemed sluggish and very noisy up hills. Is there a technique for avoiding this?

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Normal motoring and motorways I found the CVT fine at steady speeds on fairly level roads and not particularly noisy but as stated in my previous post I found the paddles useful on uphill pulls especially long ones when a change down was necessary which would be normal if using a manual gearbox, just have to get used to a different technique as with any auto box.

Having said that I really have no complaints about the CVT it was very smooth but on the occasions I had a manual courtesy car I did notice a difference in acceleration and they always appeared a more lively drive, I would have to think long and hard as to whether I would have another CVT, which rather puts me off the new Civic but on the other hand that has a turbo which may make a big difference..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
I would have to think long and hard as to whether I would have another CVT, which rather puts me off the new Civic but on the other hand that has a turbo which may make a big difference..
The new Civic has a 6 speed manual OR a CVT, irrespective of which engine you choose. Personally, I don't fancy a CVT in any form, having always driven conventional autoboxes, but I have to admit, I have never driven nor even been a passenger in a CVT equipped car.

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »
The new Civic has a 6 speed manual OR a CVT,

I am fully aware of that but this thread is about CVT gearboxes not manual and after years of driving manual vehicles I now prefer driving an automatic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
I suspect they are fine on level roads as Hobo says. I also think they are very suited to town driving. I do just enough non town driving for the CVT to be an issue. I had a ride in a friend's CVT Jazz and I thought it was very sluggish and very noisy going up a hill. He preferred his old I shift which is unusual.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
The new Civic has a 6 speed manual OR a CVT,

I am fully aware of that but this thread is about CVT gearboxes not manual and after years of driving manual vehicles I now prefer driving an automatic.
Sorry. Yes, the turbo may give a bit of an improvement. FW

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
I've been doing a bit of research on CVTs ahead of any change of car - either another Jazz or possibly a hybrid from Toyota and I came across a number of items relating to Nissans and people fearing that the car might not actually make it up a hill.

Really interested in hill driving in CVT's and performance generally. The following questions are uppermost:

1) Do they struggle up hills? Can the flappy paddles - if fitted - help?
2) The droning under acceleration, is this poor driving technique or just something you have to live with?
3) Anybody have a CVT and deciding they'd go back to manual next time?
4) Performance suffers compared to a manual - how noticeable is this - especially acceleration. I must admit my friend's Jazz CVT seemed very sluggish.

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »
1. Can do on steep hills or long climbs but not enough to grind to a halt, use the paddles to select lower gear and not a problem.

2. Never noticed a drone even when accelerating hard.

3. Would want to thoroughly test drive any vehicle with CVT before committing myself again, but would not rule one out.

4. Slight noticeable performance loss but easily overcome by use of paddles, not really noticeable under normal driving conditions only in circumstances when extra acceleration is required. 

As stated different driving technique than a manual gearbox.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
The 'droning' mentioned when accelerating is probably the engine revs rising because that is the way a CVT box works.
The CVT box responds very well to use of the throttle, don't let the rise in revs put you off..
A normal auto box changes down when you open the throttle but the revs rise and fall as it goes through its up to eight gears. The CVT revs rise and the road speed catches up with them, don't be worried about the revs rising you will not damage the engine.
The response to opening the throttle in a CVT is instantaneous if opened far enough and use of the 'S' mode makes the car even more responsive.
I have owned five Jazz's, two manual and three CVT's so I can compare the two.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess the real answer is a test drive. I'm getting a loan car next month when my car goes in to service at the main dealers. Wonder if that'll be a CVT?

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
I never use AUTO in my i-shift, paddles are fantastic. What i was asking is how does the CVT paddles compare to the i-shift ?
Not interested in the CVT in auto, i would never use it in auto.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
I'm getting a loan car next month when my car goes in to service at the main dealers. Wonder if that'll be a CVT?
I hoped for the same but after two courtesy cars I am still waiting. A local car sales has a couple advertised at the moment. I may drop in for a test drive, later this week.

Tags: