Author Topic: 2013 jazz brake problem?  (Read 2848 times)

Bristolroversfc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
2013 jazz brake problem?
« on: September 14, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
Hi.My first post here.
I purchased a 2013 jazz 1.4i vtec from Honda main dealer 2 weeks ago.
I noticed that brake discs were rusty (mainly on the offside)but salesman said this would quicky wear off.
During test drive,brakes did sound a little "rusty"but improved after a few miles,so I happily purchassed car.
Car has travelled now just over 250 miles since it was mot'd and I still notice the "rubbing noise"when braking(Usually at lower speeds).
Do you think the brake pads have been contaminated with the rust and need replacing?
If so,I think a trip back to Honda tomorrow and ask them to sort it.
Many thanks for looking.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2013 jazz brake problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
Welcome. All brake discs rust after rain, and usually the first few applications polish them back up. Check they are clean immediately after a dry drive. My brakes scuff as soon as I come out of the garage in the morning, but I don't notice it after that. I don't think the pads are contaminated with rust but they could be worn so that the metal of the pad is scuffing the disc. I'd say a trip to Honda would not go amiss, if only to put your mind at rest.

Bristolroversfc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
Thank you jocko.
From what I can see,brake pads still have plenty of life in them.
It isnt like a scraping,sqeeling,grinding or metal on metal noise,just an annoying rubbing noise when  slowing down to a stop.

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
I had a 2010 Jazz which I bought new and had that problem from day one. I now have a Civic (last of the old shape) which I also bought new about 6 months ago and that does the same thing, so I suspect that it is probably caused by the friction material compound used by Honda. Possibly an alternative make of brake pads might cure the problem.

Bristolroversfc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
Thanks davegreen.
Could be a solution.
Nice to know that my little problem could be a simple fix.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »
When they banned all the 'bad stuff' from brake pads I think they had to 'soften' the disc material to make up the lost grip, now the softer discs wear out and go rusty quicker - that is progress for you.   Brakes on our Civic and Jazz GE sound a little 'scratchy' after it has been standing for a few days,  never noticed it when I used to do 500 miles a week + (discs never had time to get cool,  let alone rust LOL).

Have a look at the attached PDF at rear brake discs on my wifes GE,  this was the state at around 4 years old and it had done over 30K, these discs passed the first MOT (at Honda dealer) and advisory was 'discs corroded but structurally sound' - I thought they would be a sure fail and had bought new discs but not had time to fit them (Oh how I miss going to work every day LOL)

Seems to be that combination of alloy wheels and rear discs causes problems,  the rear brakes pick up all the crap thrown up by front wheels - fitted new discs and since using steel wheels with winter tyres from October to April the rear discs have been OK,  probably due to the fact that steel wheels (with much less open area than alloys) protect the rear discs much better.   That is why rear discs and calipers give many more problems than front brakes,  my earlier Honda Civics and GD Jazz had rear drums and they lasted 100,000 miles and then only new shoes (unlike discs the drums last for ever).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:00:58 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: