Author Topic: Rear cyle rack  (Read 2818 times)

GeoffP

• Registered Member
Rear cyle rack
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
I have just purchased a Jazz EX i-shift, I am very pleased with it so far but I wonder if one of you guys can help re cycle racks.  I did note a much earlier post when someone wanted to put 3 or 4 bikes on a rear cycle rack and was advised not to due to potential handling problems.

This I understand.  I would only wish to mount 2 bikes max for relatively short distances but I am interested in continuing the debate, especially as the handbook says 'normal' bike racks should not be used.  I do already own a 'generic' rear cycle rack that I would wish to use.

Perhaps I should add that whilst not being in the first flush of youth I am far from past it and regard my self as reasonably fit.  Having said that there is no way I am lifting a bike (or two) on to a roof rack.

Having looked at the tailgate of my car I suspect Honda advise you against using rear racks as the window glass reaches right across, they would worry that someone would put a hook over that area and cause damage.  If I am right as long as the mounting hooks avoided the glass the rack could be used without damage.

Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

guest1953

Re: Rear cyle rack
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
I know this question was asked years ago, but for the benefit of others thinking the same thing, another thing to consider is that the rear wiper automatically turns on when reverse gear is engaged, if you have the front windscreen wipers on. A handy feature, but imagine what happens if you have a rack on the back - burnt out wiper motor...

If it's just for short distances I'd consider whether dropping the back seats and popping the wheels off (assuming they are QR) wouldn't be less problematic.

guest1128

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
Hi there.
Greetings from Istanbul, Turkey. This is my duplicate message of fitfreak.net. Instead of opening a new topic, I just replied this topic.

"I have quick searched the forum and it is recommended hitch type racks or roof racks for bike carrying. But they are rather expensive and not very common here. I won't do long trips with them, instead of,  I will do 3-4 mile trips on weekends. So a trunk type bike rack would be great for me.

Although their websites dont recommend these type of bike racks to a Fit/Jazz (a spoilered Fit/Jazz in special)), I wonder whether they could be applied.
There are bike racks for spoilered sedans such as Yakima Superjoe or Saris Sentinel.

Look the rear foot arcs over spoiler (though they are not spoilered cars in official pictures) and the upper strap  goes rear part of trunk door.

This is my OEM spoilered lovely little Jazz.

Could these racks be applied to my car ? Upper strap will be a bit short ? But I think it could be ..

Anybody having any experience or recommodations ?
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Hope my English is okay.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
The way to go is with  roof rack with a cycle rack - just like the professionals use on major events, the rear racks are not safe in my view -too much weight over the rear.
I take the front wheel of my road bike and store the bike within the car -seats folded up.

Tags: