Author Topic: Rear wheel arch rust?  (Read 7231 times)

beniamino38

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4
Rear wheel arch rust?
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
I have just bought a 2012 Jazz. I'm very happy with it, but I have one concern. The rear wheel arches don't seem very well protected against rust. In fact, they have a very similar shape to the arches on my old Rover 25 which completely rusted away.

Should I be concerned about this? Is there anything I can do to prevent the wheel arches from rusting, e.g. an aftermarket liner of some kind? Thanks for any advice!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Rear wheel arch rust?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
I did notice a small patch of rust on my 2010 Jazz just where the rear panel folds into the wheel arch - on the edge if you see what I mean. I sanded it and used some rust treatment then touch up paint and, touch wood, it hasn't recurred in the six months since I did the repair.

Not sure if this is similar to your problem though.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
One thing that should do every time you wash your car, assuming that you use a hose, is to put hose jet so that it washes all the crud out of the wheel arches particularly above the wheel arches where the mud collects.
If you have never done it before you may find that there is solid mud caked in there. Use a wooden stick to loosen it.
This mud absorbs the salt put on the roads in the winter and is an ideal mixture for causing corrosion.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
One thing that should do every time you wash your car, assuming that you use a hose, is to put hose jet so that it washes all the crud out of the wheel arches particularly above the wheel arches where the mud collects.
If you have never done it before you may find that there is solid mud caked in there. Use a wooden stick to loosen it.
This mud absorbs the salt put on the roads in the winter and is an ideal mixture for causing corrosion.

Vic.

That's very good advice,  I don't clean my car many times in a year but always try to wash underneath when winter has waved goodbye -   but be wary of using high pressure hoses as they can do more harm than good and can actually damage / displace paint and under-seal and cause future problems.  Use a hose connected to normal mains water supply.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:04 PM »
I've got in the habit of taking the car down to a Jetwash every few months to have a quick squirt around the archers etc.

Noticed a bit of rust on my archers. I was wondering if I should brush more undersealant around there in the summer, put q-rust on and a quick flash over with a rattle can.

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
On this matter, you guys may have noticed that there is not any plastic protection on the rear arch. Would be possible to create one? Any idea who can do that? This may solve a lots of problem such as the rust but also the road noise....

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »
Even with plastic arch liners as at the front the mud still collects on the actual arches so the hose treatment is still required. The hose obviously needs a right angle jet on the end which can be got from garden centres.

Vic.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Honda paint work is very patchy in comparison to some makes. I'm not jet washing mine.

Tags:

anything